Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3367 3368 [3369] 3370 3371 ... 3689

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3742944 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50520 on: August 15, 2017, 09:40:36 am »

So I have been building an underground fort. A giant appears lusting for blood and I expect the surface to be clear. But alas reacent migrant fisher is up at the brook having noot been asigned a proper job. The fisher proceeds to kick the giant's ass bare handed for a few days untill geting oneshotted in the head by a fist. The giant just stands there for a bit overexerted so I send out the military on kill orders thinking this should be even as they will all be vomiting from cave adaptation. But they are really deep underground so it takes awhile. Finally an axe dwarf shows up but just stands at a distance staring at the giant.  The tension is broken when a hauler listed as "no job" runs up and the giant attacks him. (There are no meeting zones on the surface at all) Only then does the axe dwarf join in. They fight for a bit and the giant scratches off the hauler's arm. But then... the engraver appeared. The engraver, also jobless and not in the military tears into the giant with a steel pick he must have arrived with and strikes it dead. That engraver just earned a nickname...

That is the most hilariously ineffective military ever. I don't know why the heck they suck so much, but they do...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50521 on: August 15, 2017, 10:03:43 am »

The Queen is busy making her own gold furnitures (6 gold doors, 5 armor stands, 5 weapon rack, 10 chests, 5 cabinets, and a masterful tower-cap bed is ready.  Waiting for gold sarcophagus, and 7 sets of chairs and thrones. 

The queen also figured out how to make "large" armor for the Frost Ettins (jotunal sized) and Honey Badgers (greater honey badger sized). 
Sounds like the best noble ever, as in, one that actually DOES things

So I have been building an underground fort. A giant appears lusting for blood and I expect the surface to be clear. But alas reacent migrant fisher is up at the brook having noot been asigned a proper job. The fisher proceeds to kick the giant's ass bare handed for a few days untill geting oneshotted in the head by a fist. The giant just stands there for a bit overexerted so I send out the military on kill orders thinking this should be even as they will all be vomiting from cave adaptation. But they are really deep underground so it takes awhile. Finally an axe dwarf shows up but just stands at a distance staring at the giant.  The tension is broken when a hauler listed as "no job" runs up and the giant attacks him. (There are no meeting zones on the surface at all) Only then does the axe dwarf join in. They fight for a bit and the giant scratches off the hauler's arm. But then... the engraver appeared. The engraver, also jobless and not in the military tears into the giant with a steel pick he must have arrived with and strikes it dead. That engraver just earned a nickname...

That is the most hilariously ineffective military ever. I don't know why the heck they suck so much, but they do...
If I had to take a guess, it would be vomiting+probably not training as much as it's supposed to be, I'm more confused why none of the other military dwarves showed up

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50522 on: August 15, 2017, 11:50:48 am »

I think they just took awhile due to distance. I also had a bronze collosus last night slew it with 8civilian losses and no military injuries. I had them battle it on the surface cause haulers kept going up to fight it. Why are civilian dwarves so aggrssive this version? The never run away they just attack hostiles on sight.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50523 on: August 15, 2017, 01:42:48 pm »

The once-hopeful founders of Nishkikrost are coming to terms with the fear that they may be the last 13 Dwarves in the world.

Nevertheless the part time expedition leader/bookkeeper/manager/CMD/hammerer/broker gamely sketches out designs for a proposed temple to honor the neglected deities of the Strifeful Portals.

Sigun (frustrated): I just want a place to pray!
Deduk: Well, we have to move those temporary workshops next to the wagon first. And the wagon is sitting on the site too, come to think of it.
Sigun: But it's been so long.
Deduk: And you want a nice artificial waterfall to cleanse you with holy mist as you enter, right? Well it's a lot easier to put in the underground plumbing before installing the main floor.
Sigun: Actually, it's not all that much different. You just pull up a couple blocks. Or even leave them as dirt for the time being. It's prayers we need.
Deduk: No, the aqueduct tapping the brook from underneath comes first.
Sigun (grumbles): All our gods are about mountains, minerals, metals, jewels and wealth. They don't give a plump helmet about water.
Deduk (sanctimoniously): Nothing is holier than a pump stack, even a short one! (mutters) That's why we need to build the metal works and make them out of gold . . . .

Unlike some, I wasn't even trying to play a dead civ (quite the opposite, I'm very new and one of my to-practice goals was agreements with the liaison). Yes I had the embark warning and I knew that they stopped getting mentions in the Chronicle of Legends, but I assumed that the overworld produce in the embark screen meant there was a remnant community quietly hanging on somewhere. Apparently not.

What makes me feel really sad is that I've been reloading rather liberally as I see more efficient ways to plan my constructions and thus I erased the 2nd migrant wave that brought a family with a ten year old girl. I miss her joyful games of Make Believe.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50524 on: August 16, 2017, 02:02:51 pm »

Still Running DF 43.05 Fortress Defense Mod II R v21, with my modded 4-Armed dwarfs. 

My commander dwarf is 73k cubic cm.
The Greater Badger Berserkers are 151k cubic cm.
The Frost Ettin Warrior is 1,700k cubic cm.
The Rime Giantess Pikeman is 7,000k cubic cm.

The Frost Ettin and Rime Giantess both wear the same jotunar sized "large" armors.

My queen is the armorer and happy to provide these mercenary army steel armors.

Sadly, only had 2 sieges.

The first was 2 Snakemens.
The second was 2 Hellfire Imps.

I'm waiting for War Elephant siege.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #50525 on: August 18, 2017, 03:40:08 pm »

I think they just took awhile due to distance. I also had a bronze collosus last night slew it with 8civilian losses and no military injuries. I had them battle it on the surface cause haulers kept going up to fight it. Why are civilian dwarves so aggrssive this version? The never run away they just attack hostiles on sight.
is it the alcohol? Alcohol makes them less fearful.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Jenz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50526 on: August 18, 2017, 03:51:20 pm »

Doesn't burrows solve this?

Pumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50527 on: August 20, 2017, 12:47:58 am »

I have a sealed off chamber room with water for the well above. I look down there one time and I find a dead human.

How did happen? Am confuse.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #50528 on: August 20, 2017, 04:27:43 am »

I have a sealed off chamber room with water for the well above. I look down there one time and I find a dead human.

Little Timmy fell down the well and nobody noticed, it's that simple.
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50529 on: August 20, 2017, 04:58:02 am »

Or you have a barracks nearby and they got thrown in through the wall or hole.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50530 on: August 22, 2017, 02:41:19 am »

My current fort has two vampires: the king and the duke, and the king has already killed his wife.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50531 on: August 22, 2017, 10:29:34 am »

Little Timmy fell down the well and nobody noticed, it's that simple.

RIP Timmy, 2017 - the date he decided to be an idiot.

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #50532 on: August 22, 2017, 02:22:20 pm »

Urist McPerpetuallyDistracted has discovered the use of models and templates in engineering.

Okay. What does this mean?

Also, the world managed to progress into the Age of Myth from The Age of the Roc because I decided to spawn and breed Dragons.

Also also, I would really like to know what the hell is happening in my world, but the open-legends command in DFhack isn't giving me many historical events. The last two ages have a grand total of 0 discovered events. And I even have the Dwarves active twice a year (Spring and Autumn). The Outpost Liaison keeps telling me the world is the same as ever.

For context, this current date is 25th of Slate, Year 9. The Fortress of Siegeanvil was founded in Year 2.

Artichaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50533 on: August 22, 2017, 03:15:11 pm »

I make a wood fort, with no metal or stone allowed. So my military is made of 20 wrestlers with no weapons and no armour, and 10 crossbow dwarfs with bone bolts.

I just figure that the bug with siegers not popping comes from my save at the start of siege. I haven't save this time and instead of 10 or 20 gobs i got 108 of them.

So i charge the greenskins with my 20 elite wrestlers. Oh dwarf ... After a looong fight i win, 9 of 20 survived. So the logs were nasty : One dwarf has 6 kills with an iron cap with right hand, and 3 with a silk leggins with left hand. Another punch to death 2 gobs with a troll fur sandale. All the 9 dwarves have such logs ...

It's the funniest siege i have ever had ! I love wrestlers !

Now it's time for cleaning . What the hell ! There are sooooo many teeths everywhere ! Hundreds and hundreds of teeths !

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50534 on: August 22, 2017, 04:48:00 pm »

Urist McPerpetuallyDistracted has discovered the use of models and templates in engineering.

Okay. What does this mean?

Also, the world managed to progress into the Age of Myth from The Age of the Roc because I decided to spawn and breed Dragons.

Also also, I would really like to know what the hell is happening in my world, but the open-legends command in DFhack isn't giving me many historical events. The last two ages have a grand total of 0 discovered events. And I even have the Dwarves active twice a year (Spring and Autumn). The Outpost Liaison keeps telling me the world is the same as ever.

For context, this current date is 25th of Slate, Year 9. The Fortress of Siegeanvil was founded in Year 2.
1) It's part of the knowledge system. Doesn't do too much right now from a gameplay point of view, but basically historians, engineers and such think a lot, make discoveries, write books.

2) Copy your game then retire and open real Legends mode. You can't progress through 2 ages without anything happening.

3) Active seasons only apply to fortress mode gameplay as far as I can tell. The rest of the world attacks each other as it feels like and abstracts trade completely.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:49:41 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 3367 3368 [3369] 3370 3371 ... 3689