Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3370 3371 [3372] 3373 3374 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787572 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50565 on: August 30, 2017, 12:43:30 pm »

Forgot to remove the transform to dwarf interaction from my dragons before playing a new world. Embarked on a cave hoping to have a cyclopsi?'s head or a purgatory wolf or some other semi-megabeast, instead got a dragon that after two fire breath attacks, came close, and turned into a dwarf........ Dead, nothing we could do for him but kill it faster.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

ViolentBeetle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50566 on: August 30, 2017, 01:28:07 pm »

Now after the first siege my fort seems to have gone on strike. Nobody works, either stuck with No Job, Praying or Socializing.

Once in a while someone wanders around to pickup equipment. Is there something wrong. I even deleted the burrow civilians were hiding, but they still won't work.

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50567 on: August 30, 2017, 05:15:53 pm »

The child’s belly cramped with hunger. Again and again he moved toward the stockpile. Again and again he reached the first of the rock pots and spotted a hideous creature just down the hall, huge, insect-like, waiting for prey. And he panicked and ran back into the dark, empty quarry, to crouch against a rough rock wall. Safe. Still hungry. He grew weaker every time, and the air was getting harder to breathe; something was on fire. He tried not to think about what might be burning.

How many times had he crept toward the food and run away in fear? Five times? Ten? More? How many more times could he--

A tiny, pitiful squeal. Little hooves clicked against the rock floor. The noise grew louder, and the boy realized it was coming nearer. He forced himself to stand, but it was too late. A great mass swooped down, crushing the piglet with a wet noise. Then it noticed the boy.

Even if he had not been starving, exhausted, grieving, he could never have run fast enough to escape.

... So that’s the kind of thing that happens when you decide to dig too deep to see how your dwarfs will manage. Especially if you don’t prepare any fancy traps. So ends Lanceknights.

Anyway, Fedaxes, the new fortress I started in the same world, is doing well. Many trees have indeed been fed to its hungry axes, and it has become the Mountainhome. (The queen likes swords and wine. All is good.) The aquifer turned out to be a single layer, so that was less of a learning experience than I expected. I’ve been using melee fighters for cleanup only and relying on marksdwarfs instead; so far they’ve shot down a flying webbing titan (which gave us some nice clothing), and they’re getting better at taking down goblins and their buddies. And the humans are starting to siege us (maybe they’re mad at our civilization for what we did at Lanceknights?).

Edit to add: ViolentBeetle, did you set a civilian alert and then forget to end it when the siege ended? Normally I make a giant alert burrow containing the entire inside of the fort so that work doesn't get interrupted when invaders show up. Or did you lock all the doors between the civilians and the work areas?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:26:59 pm by Madrigal »

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50568 on: August 30, 2017, 07:11:48 pm »

Terrifying biomes...

Cons: Undead wildlife are out to kill you
Pros: Undead wildlife will kill invaders too
Cons: Undead wildlife fighting invaders will kill your fps
Pros: The distraction allows friendly merchants to slip in unmolested.

Tseralith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50569 on: September 02, 2017, 09:49:04 am »

True story.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50570 on: September 02, 2017, 10:50:27 am »

Yeah that's pretty much DF in comic form.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ViolentBeetle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50571 on: September 02, 2017, 03:41:50 pm »

Reclaimed old fort. It seems to be filled by some people who are considered hostile and I'm constantly alerted of ambushes, yet they don't attack.

Found a depressing book called "Victory By the Farm". I take it, author did not root for the farm.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50572 on: September 03, 2017, 01:46:03 am »

True story.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bea-yooo-tiful! With some imagination, that is a claymation video.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

SomeKindOfGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50573 on: September 03, 2017, 10:17:42 am »

Not much, for now. I recently started a new fort and set up a farm, carpenter's workshop, and forge in (personal) record time.
I need to prepare for embarks carefully more often, because this is way better than having two useless fishing Dwarves doing nothing but hauling stuff for the first 3 months.
Signature? I hardly know 'er.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50574 on: September 03, 2017, 11:57:14 pm »

After far too long, I finally have a fortress embark with iron ore! I was aiming for an embark with Hemp on it, since I thought it'd be fun to have a single crop that can be used for literally everything except booze, but the iron is still a welcome gift.

I set up a small beekeeping industry with 5 hives to try to get some mead later on, but seeing how the royal jelly is stored in the finished goods stockpile I have right outside my depot, I think it's probably going to be underwhelming and ultimately useless.

The animals for this embark are a breeding pair of Alpacas for wool and milk, as well as 1 male dog and 2 bitches for military / work animals. The random pack animals actually turned out to be a breeding pair of horses. That's unexpectedly lucky. Aside from one cat and any giant / exotic animals the elves bring to me, I think I'm going to try to keep as few animals as possible in this fort, for the sake of sanity and preventing the animals from starving. The new animals the migrants are bringing are a little annoying, though. At least they should be able to serve as sentries.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50575 on: September 04, 2017, 04:41:16 am »

Just breached the caverns! Excited to head down there, planning on setting up a subfortress in 'em. Possibly a third fortresslet down by the magma sea, too, unless I can figure out a convenient way to bring some up to the caverns. Magma's on Z-negative-twenty-nine, though, and I don't really wanna build a fifty-Z pump stack.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50576 on: September 04, 2017, 05:57:49 am »

Sure. You can get magma with as little as 8 dig designations, 3 track/ramp designations and 1 iron/platinum/nickel minecart.

z-29(inc.l magma, all track is track/ramp):
▒▒▒▒
▒=╚▒
z-28:
▒▒▒▒
╚▼▼+...

Dump/drop/place carts on the accelerating ramp on z-28, they'll go in, fill with magma, and exit eastward at low speed.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50577 on: September 04, 2017, 10:26:44 am »

So, I am building my castle, when suddenly:

Urist McDryson, dwarven child has been found dead, drained of all blood.
"Oh damn", I say and zoom to location.
It puts me aboveground to a panicing dwarf, no dead chidren in sight, but with the Mayor nearby.
Thus begins the search for the dead child.

After about 5 minutes of searching, I find out that the person, who "discovered" the corpse is the child's parent.
After 2 more minutes, I find the corpse in the dormitory, surrounded by other children.

Now I have to find out who is the vampire and how did the parent discover his/her dead child through 3 z-levels of rock, while the children nearby saw nothing.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50578 on: September 04, 2017, 10:38:31 am »

Can children be vampires?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50579 on: September 04, 2017, 10:43:41 am »

Not sure whether they can topple statues to anger gods, but they certainly need to drink, so they could drink vampire blood.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.
Pages: 1 ... 3370 3371 [3372] 3373 3374 ... 3835