Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3371 3372 [3373] 3374 3375 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5831388 times)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50580 on: September 04, 2017, 01:56:54 pm »

Did the parent maybe try to seek the child but failed because the kid was dead?
'ere the Chias get hungry...

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50581 on: September 04, 2017, 11:12:34 pm »

"Some migrants have arrived."

Okay, no big deal, I think I can handle it.

One immigrant, then two, then a couple children, then some pets, then a couple more children, then several more immigrants....

'u' reveals that the population of Manorsling has jumped from 13 to 40 dwarves, whilst 'z' tells me that I have but 62 drinks, 76 plant, and about 30ish eggs to feed all of them. I currently have a scant 9 beds, 13 each of tables and chairs in my dining room, one still, not nearly enough workshops to go around, and a very low-level metal "industry". It doesn't help that the only metalsmith I have right now is primarily a carpenter and craftsdwarf.

Naturally, some of the more useless dwarves, like the four fish cleaners I now have, are going to get drafted quickly, but I currently have practically no way of arming them effectively; I only managed to make leather armor with the idea of outfitting a small part-time militia of 5-6 dwarves, not an entire platoon.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50582 on: September 04, 2017, 11:56:29 pm »

Did the parent maybe try to seek the child but failed because the kid was dead?

Perhaps.

Turns out that the vampire was a random woodcrafter. He now has his own 3x3 room with no doors and is the bridge opener.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50583 on: September 05, 2017, 01:29:05 am »

Siege just arrived, started rushing towards my fort, then suddenly every gobbo got the panic exclamation mark and ran off map... Hwat.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50584 on: September 05, 2017, 03:06:58 am »

Several dwarves in Helmsthrone have started wearing earthenware jewelry lately. I have no ceramic industry and there is no clay on this map. Where did all that mystery bling come from? Did a wagon explode when I was looking the other way?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Wahll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50585 on: September 05, 2017, 03:20:33 am »

Several dwarves in Helmsthrone have started wearing earthenware jewelry lately. I have no ceramic industry and there is no clay on this map. Where did all that mystery bling come from? Did a wagon explode when I was looking the other way?

Maybe the migrant brougth them?
I once had a dwarf in the military of a previous fortress arrive as a migrant with his full masterfull adamantine armor and weapon
and had another case of dwaves arriving with some dragon bone jewel that were made elsewhere.

Siege just arrived, started rushing towards my fort, then suddenly every gobbo got the panic exclamation mark and ran off map... Hwat.

Had the same behavior with a human seige: they showed up, started marching toward the fortress, attacked some wild life (and failed to kill it) then retreated. When I understood what was going on I rushed my military out to get as many kills as I could, i.e. 1 unlucky horse...  (I wanted to melt some of their armor to make my own.) However, even with no invader on the map, they held their seige for ~1 year.
Let's just say they wanted to place some trade embargo on me since I killed their law-giver.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #50586 on: September 05, 2017, 01:33:23 pm »

If you closed all available routes for them to enter your fort they will sometimes just leave. They probably just got spooked by a honey badger or something though haha
'ere the Chias get hungry...

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50587 on: September 07, 2017, 01:46:26 pm »

Just started my first fortress on my new Macbook laptop (which I got primarily for university work but of course I still had to download DF on it). It's in a small vanilla world where dwarven civilization is drawing its final breaths, all elven civs appear to be extinct, and goblins are the dominant race with their fortresses occupying like a third of the world surface. Oh, and I don't think humans ever even existed in this world. So obviously, this fortress should be a very Fun one. Will update as things develop.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

SomeKindOfGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50588 on: September 07, 2017, 02:43:22 pm »

I started work on my temple and finished a basic tavern. I'm also starting to build housing for my nobles.
My military is coming along nicely, with armor and weapons being built somewhat quickly by my blacksmith.
My Dwarves absolutely refuse to use the 10 barrels I made for the food. I don't have that much food right now, but jeez, they could at least put it in the stockpile.

Just started my first fortress on my new Macbook laptop (which I got primarily for university work but of course I still had to download DF on it). It's in a small vanilla world where dwarven civilization is drawing its final breaths, all elven civs appear to be extinct, and goblins are the dominant race with their fortresses occupying like a third of the world surface. Oh, and I don't think humans ever even existed in this world. So obviously, this fortress should be a very Fun one. Will update as things develop.
I never knew that was possible. Huh.
Signature? I hardly know 'er.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50589 on: September 07, 2017, 03:15:02 pm »

It probably isn't on default world parameters, but this world was customized with an extremely low number of civs and I guess humans weren't one of them.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50590 on: September 08, 2017, 01:20:50 am »

So as Manorsling moves on into its second year, the Elven trade caravan arrives, and I decide to trade them a couple of small cut gems for some extra booze and fruits.

I'm tempted to tear down the depot because I kinda want the bastards gone, and they have multiple somethings that I want but can't afford, like an alligator.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50591 on: September 08, 2017, 01:35:38 am »

So as Manorsling moves on into its second year, the Elven trade caravan arrives, and I decide to trade them a couple of small cut gems for some extra booze and fruits.

I'm tempted to tear down the depot because I kinda want the bastards gone, and they have multiple somethings that I want but can't afford, like an alligator.
You know you could just seize the goods instead of deconstructing the depot?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50592 on: September 08, 2017, 04:01:21 am »

I have a few bearpeople in cages, but I noticed n Dwarf Therapist that there's apparently a named bear man in a cage. Dwarf Therapist is letting me set labours on him, but he appears under "others" instead of "citizens" in the Units menu.

He killed one of my dwarves a little while ago, which is probably when he was caught in the cage, so I don't really want to let him out.

Is this a glitch, or can I just build these cages of grizzly bear people in a zoo and get some conscripts for the military in a few years?

How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50593 on: September 08, 2017, 04:08:27 am »

Can you actually set labours on him in-game or just in Therapist?

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50594 on: September 08, 2017, 05:25:05 am »

Can you actually set labours on him in-game or just in Therapist?

I found his cage in the stockpile with his corpse in it, while the other black bear people were still alive. I assume this means he was friendly, and that I probably could have assigned labours to him, since they don't need to eat when they're not friendly.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.
Pages: 1 ... 3371 3372 [3373] 3374 3375 ... 3836