Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3372 3373 [3374] 3375 3376 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859525 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50595 on: September 08, 2017, 05:47:05 am »

Oh nice. Can you provide the save?

How did the bear person obtain the name?

If he gets hungry, he's considered yours, so...Interesting. Would be nice to be able to convert wild animal groups into your fortress.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #50596 on: September 08, 2017, 09:34:38 am »

started a new fort "Fortressabbey" on woodland planes next to a stream.
planned to create a monestary with a huge library and temple surrounded by a 3-4 zlevels deep moat. (yes, i'm into architecture as a hobby, so it would look like a real monestary and gothic church).

BUT to dig the moat, i had to clear the area from trees first and my woodcutter got severly hurt on his left upper leg and lay there for a week until i realized and this delayed the works for about 3 months...
the fort is now 6 months old and only a partial 1 zlevel deep moat and a handful of workshops and a wooden hospital aboveground are finished. Luckily the woodcutter's wounds healed without any thread and cloth and he could leave the hospital and works again.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #50597 on: September 08, 2017, 03:27:51 pm »

I just had a double-ambush of Troggs and the Undead.

The issue almost resolved itself, as both sides were hostile to each other and fought immediately upon entering the map - the large battle had casualites on both ends. My military - which consisted of only a few dwarves, with most of the fighting done by mercenaries or eliminators, trolls and gray cyclopes - took advantage of that and broke both of the forces, though not without sustaining injuries. In particular, some of my military got sprayed by a plague eruptor, causing massive necrosis.

This wasn't as bad of an issue at first - however later while my chief medic was trying to get to his patients, the militia commander was being unusually aggressive and attacking everyone around, making the medic unable to actually get to the hospital. Took an eliminator mangling his foot for him to calm down. Everyone's fine now but I was worried the medic would die by accident.

I'm guessing this is the result of the CE_ERRATIC_BEHAVIOR syndrome token - good to finally know what it actually does.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50598 on: September 08, 2017, 03:34:14 pm »

Oh nice. Can you provide the save?

How did the bear person obtain the name?

If he gets hungry, he's considered yours, so...Interesting. Would be nice to be able to convert wild animal groups into your fortress.

I'm afraid I don't have multiple save slots turned on, so the only saves I have right now are one from before that particular squad of animal men showed up, and after the named one died. I probably should get in the habit of copying the save file when I see something interesting.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50599 on: September 08, 2017, 05:19:05 pm »

The named one is a grizzly bear man and the others are black bear people. Is it possible they fought each other and something in the loyalty code switched him to the fort's side? If he was incompletely loyal (site aligned but not civ aligned, or is it the other way 'round?) that might explain why he was both subject to orders and hostile to dwarves at the same time.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50600 on: September 09, 2017, 02:36:06 am »

Any save with the named bear would be interesting, for what his tags are alone. In fact, I don't care about the other bears or save per se, just the named one, how to get my own, what can they do and whether you could breed them with opposite gender equivalent. Needing food and unitlist=others is a curious combination.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50601 on: September 09, 2017, 03:44:21 am »

Can you actually set labours on him in-game or just in Therapist?

I found his cage in the stockpile with his corpse in it, while the other black bear people were still alive. I assume this means he was friendly, and that I probably could have assigned labours to him, since they don't need to eat when they're not friendly.

Doubtful, since the game itself, which should be more authoritative than DT, considered him a wild animal and not a pet or citizen. Furthermore, he had suffered major injuries and the health record at the bottom of the DT readout shows "Pale" - severe lack of blood, just short of death from exsanguination - and "Infected"  - simulated by continuous blood loss - as well as inability to stand, grasp impairment and a few more issues i cannot identify.

So the conservative bet is he simply died of wounds received before capture.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #50602 on: September 09, 2017, 03:59:30 am »

I decided to retire my old "complete" fortress (King moved in, Forgotten beast silk farm, Twisting metal weapons and shields, adamantine armour, two squads of legendary melee dwarves, etc.)

So now I'm starting a fortress on an island, on a terrifying glacier and stretching into an untamed Arctic Ocean. I'm hoping to build everything in an above ground ice citadel. But it turns out the terrifying glacier doesn't reanimate the dead, and gross muck rains from the sky and makes everything it hits dizzy and terrified. Which makes it a really easy embark so far? It's just my dwarves and some harp seals collapsing in absolute terror outside.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50603 on: September 09, 2017, 04:39:44 am »

Well, if black bear person is dead, full-heal can resurrect people.

@Anrizlokum: Sounds like you're losing :v

sanguisorba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50604 on: September 09, 2017, 04:48:28 am »

Playing my first fort and trying things out. Surprisingly not everyone has died (yet).

I ordered my hammer dwarfs to kill some cave crocodiles in the caverns to gain experience. The first couple of dwarves, including my militia commander, arrived and started killing crocodiles, before a giant cave spider suddenly spawned in a short distance away at the edge of the map. I ordered them to attack and they were quickly webbed and immobilized. The first dwarf was shaken around by the head until his back was broken before the GCS moved on to the militia commander and started doing the same to him. A third hammer dwarf arrived on the scene. I was expecting the whole squad to be wiped out but this third dwarf somehow took out the GCS without taking damage. When I checked the fight log I saw she was the wife of the first dwarf to be killed. She saw her husband die and was horrified. She got revenge by charging at the GCS, surprising it with her ferocity and taking it down, before breaking most of its legs then smashing it on the head, killing it. The militia commander died of his wounds so I promoted her to the position and nicknamed her "the red widow".

The emergent storytelling in this game is amazing!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #50605 on: September 09, 2017, 07:19:33 am »

That's the type of thing which makes DF great.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50606 on: September 09, 2017, 09:27:35 am »

Playing my first fort and trying things out. Surprisingly not everyone has died (yet).

I ordered my hammer dwarfs to kill some cave crocodiles in the caverns to gain experience. The first couple of dwarves, including my militia commander, arrived and started killing crocodiles, before a giant cave spider suddenly spawned in a short distance away at the edge of the map. I ordered them to attack and they were quickly webbed and immobilized. The first dwarf was shaken around by the head until his back was broken before the GCS moved on to the militia commander and started doing the same to him. A third hammer dwarf arrived on the scene. I was expecting the whole squad to be wiped out but this third dwarf somehow took out the GCS without taking damage. When I checked the fight log I saw she was the wife of the first dwarf to be killed. She saw her husband die and was horrified. She got revenge by charging at the GCS, surprising it with her ferocity and taking it down, before breaking most of its legs then smashing it on the head, killing it. The militia commander died of his wounds so I promoted her to the position and nicknamed her "the red widow".

The emergent storytelling in this game is amazing!

This sounds like a dwarven tradgedy.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50607 on: September 09, 2017, 05:08:29 pm »

The population of of Walktraded was dramatically reduced from 164 to 3 yesterday as the woefully unprepared military faced off a herd of 75 minotaurs, their beakdog and horse mounts and a dog.

By a strange twist of fate, history records this as a victory for the dwarves of Walktrades. Despite managing only a handful of kills, one of these was the dog which, due to the complexities of minotaur culture, had been designated war leader for the attack.

Explains why they all suddenly left instead of finishing the job.

Fortress retired for now, let's see if they can restore their former glory by themselves.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50608 on: September 10, 2017, 03:19:03 am »

"Dammit, they got Fluffy. Let's go home, guys, there's no point to this anymore."

Meanwhile, in Walktraded:

"Urist, Tobol, uh... We won. Definitely. On an unrelated note, I need you two on burial duty for the forseeable future. If anyone needs me, I'll be making coffins."
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50609 on: September 10, 2017, 01:13:52 pm »

It probably isn't on default world parameters, but this world was customized with an extremely low number of civs and I guess humans weren't one of them.
Was there a human-spawning biome? I believe it's neutral plains for humies.

If you create a map with insufficient mountain and/or neutral biomes there won't be any dwarves and you can't play fortress mode.
Pages: 1 ... 3372 3373 [3374] 3375 3376 ... 3836