Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3375 3376 [3377] 3378 3379 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860160 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50640 on: September 20, 2017, 03:41:56 am »

Yeaaaa, you're gonna be waiting a while. I've heard that GobExtm has awful long distance shipment coverage.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50641 on: September 20, 2017, 04:28:41 am »

Odd... Population 82, wealth 9 million, invaders on, access to two cavern layers, six years in... No FB's yet. Just waiting on them to show their mildly odd faces so we can have some fun.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50642 on: September 20, 2017, 05:44:57 am »

My current "Why is the first cavern five levels under the surface" fort also has a strange lack in FBs...we had just our second round of goblins. Significantly more dangerous this time, since they decided to show up where the surface's ring of cage traps hadn't been built yet. Ordered everyone inside and the military to the surface and shut the doors so they'd have to go through the trap-lined hall to get in in the unlikely event they murdered everyone (all my dorfs are in steel)

No terrible injuries, many dead goblins, and two new iron whips to add to my military forces. The only casualty was one of my starting seven, the second miner, ending up standing on the drawbridge at the wrong time and getting crushed into the ceiling. Tempted to not slab him until his ghost shows up, because I feel bad about it and need to apologise, clearly. Also because I need more fun with the lack of FBs.

On a more interesting note, I finally caught people dancing again once! And we have a poetic performance troop made up of elves, goblins and humans congregating in the tavern, which is new. Haven't seen a full troop before.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50643 on: September 20, 2017, 06:08:02 am »

Looked over to the other side of my map and learned it has different minerals. Mined down a little, and BAM! Nickel for days... But, the other side has gold and iron and tetrahydrite... Room Temperature Nickel Balls for all!
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50644 on: September 20, 2017, 12:11:55 pm »

Helmsthrone certainly isn't missing invaders or FBs, but for some reason there hasn't been a single mood during the whole eight years of it's existence.  I'm starting to think earlier forts in the same world count against maximum artifact limit as well.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50645 on: September 20, 2017, 12:23:43 pm »

Oooh Tombcracked just got its first FB... A water snake with deadly dust. Welp, gather the hunters! It's currently engaged with a group of lizardmen, doing a good job dodging all their attacks so far, at least of the ones who've survived the initial contact. The taverns' in good sorts so far, having repeating petitions to join us from bard troops and poets etc, but so far rejected them all except for a turtle dude. We sadly have no iron in any layer of this map, ohwell... Also, what geo layer is the one that's always just blank with only clusters of gems? I get it so often, I kinda wanna make it full of stuff.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50646 on: September 20, 2017, 12:43:43 pm »

Every layer type can have veins appear in it, but perhaps you're thinking of Diorite (Igneous Intrusive)? It's one that wiki mentions in particular.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50647 on: September 20, 2017, 01:03:38 pm »

Every layer type can have veins appear in it, but perhaps you're thinking of Diorite (Igneous Intrusive)? It's one that wiki mentions in particular.

Aye that'd be it, sure it gets me lots of gems which is nice but I want more useful metals out of it...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50648 on: September 20, 2017, 04:59:27 pm »

Yeah, gold is nice, but early fort is going to prefer Cassiterite in Granite or Garnierite/Olivine with Platinum in Gabbro.

Don't really know what would be suitable, DF is largely simulating irl geology. Maybe Aluminium due how little one gets to use it otherwise, though it is a surface metal.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50649 on: September 20, 2017, 09:03:52 pm »

Complain about a lack of beasts, get my first one...!

It's a blob of snow with a tail. That's it. No poison, no dust, no webs. Just a snow blob. Killed it in two shots from one of my marksdwarves when it tried to hang out in the cavern lake. Siiiiigh. At least they're showing up now.

Side note, I really, really dislike the caverns that are huge and snake-y and have massive sections of underwater bottom layers. This cavern has a huge part that's almost the size of the entire map that's underwater. I'm almost tempted to try and set up some dumb dwarf trick with magma to seal off the edges and then drain the whole place out. Almost - this is a 4x4 embark and that would take way too long.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50650 on: September 20, 2017, 09:39:48 pm »

Huh. Minotaur showed up, haven't seen that in a while. Sent a single master spearman with a copper spear and shield in nothing but a loincloth, fight was over in a single poke sadly...

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50651 on: September 20, 2017, 09:52:17 pm »

Huh. Minotaur showed up, haven't seen that in a while. Sent a single master spearman with a copper spear and shield in nothing but a loincloth, fight was over in a single poke sadly...

Did you specifically instruct him to wear only a loincloth to make a point?

Cause it's working.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50652 on: September 20, 2017, 09:53:00 pm »

FortunaDraken, if you're willing to generate a new world, you can go into the advanced parameters and turn up the minimum cavern openness, turn down the maximum density, and turn down the maximum cavern water %. (Sorry if you already knew that, I've been browsing newbie question threads all day.)
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50653 on: September 20, 2017, 11:03:05 pm »

Fikod Tobulmegid, Stray Kitten (Tame) has adopted Litast Thikutital, Dwarven Baby.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50654 on: September 20, 2017, 11:15:19 pm »

Fikod Tobulmegid, Stray Kitten (Tame) has adopted Litast Thikutital, Dwarven Baby.

"That's right. I'm your mother now."
Pages: 1 ... 3375 3376 [3377] 3378 3379 ... 3836