Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3376 3377 [3378] 3379 3380 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859538 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50655 on: September 20, 2017, 11:28:01 pm »

Another news: all my 148 dwarves had become vampires.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50656 on: September 21, 2017, 12:06:59 am »

In other news, my chief medical dwarf got attacked by a black bear and had his nose ripped off. So he responded in kind by TEARING OUT ITS THROAT WITH HIS BARE HANDS.

That might be one of the most awesome things I've seen in this game. I've seen some awesome stuff too, a single dwarf fighting a day long battle with an FB and coming out on top, a volcano being opened up and poured on top of a bunch of merchants, and a hoard of DATA_EXPUNGED crawling forth from DATA_EXPUNGED to feast upon sweet, sweet dwarven flesh. But this guy just ripped out a black bears throat with his bare hands. There's no beating that.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50657 on: September 21, 2017, 12:28:26 am »

There's no beating that.
Challenge goddamn accepted.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50658 on: September 21, 2017, 12:32:03 am »

Huh. Minotaur showed up, haven't seen that in a while. Sent a single master spearman with a copper spear and shield in nothing but a loincloth, fight was over in a single poke sadly...

Did you specifically instruct him to wear only a loincloth to make a point?

Cause it's working.

I sent him in that because in my head it'd be like some old tribal death match...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50659 on: September 21, 2017, 05:15:15 am »

Sounds more like a trial for a Spartan. And the Spartan won.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50660 on: September 21, 2017, 08:40:14 am »

In other news, my chief medical dwarf got attacked by a black bear and had his nose ripped off. So he responded in kind by TEARING OUT ITS THROAT WITH HIS BARE HANDS.

That might be one of the most awesome things I've seen in this game. I've seen some awesome stuff too, a single dwarf fighting a day long battle with an FB and coming out on top, a volcano being opened up and poured on top of a bunch of merchants, and a hoard of DATA_EXPUNGED crawling forth from DATA_EXPUNGED to feast upon sweet, sweet dwarven flesh. But this guy just ripped out a black bears throat with his bare hands. There's no beating that.

Damn, that's some revenge.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50661 on: September 22, 2017, 09:19:17 am »

Ever fanboy after a kobold?

Dififidingus (I think?) is a kobold that has been around in one of my worlds for a while. Basically he's been attacked by every night troll and semi-megabeast in the world at this point, having survived an amazing amount of attacks, and the only time he ever got injured was when he lost an eyelid to one of the night trolls.

The fanboy moment came when he personally arrived at my fort to rob me. I don't think I've ever really liked a kobold enough to specifically tell my dwarves not to attack. I'm getting too attached...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50662 on: September 22, 2017, 09:45:37 am »

Ever fanboy after a kobold?

Dififidingus (I think?) is a kobold that has been around in one of my worlds for a while. Basically he's been attacked by every night troll and semi-megabeast in the world at this point, having survived an amazing amount of attacks, and the only time he ever got injured was when he lost an eyelid to one of the night trolls.

The fanboy moment came when he personally arrived at my fort to rob me. I don't think I've ever really liked a kobold enough to specifically tell my dwarves not to attack. I'm getting too attached...
If only he could be captured, tamed, and granted citizenship!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50663 on: September 22, 2017, 10:48:22 am »

I am doing a solo Bloodline project estimated to run at least 62+ years.  I created a small region, with 40 civs and embarked from year 2. 
I chose a mostly flat local that is part grassland and part desert and untamed wilds. 
So this local map composing of 16x16, I pre-plan in a spread sheet to embark on a 2x2 starting from the corners and edges and spread spiral towards center. 
I will embark on a new fortress outpost each year, and retire on the first day of the next year. 
I hope that by year 62, I will embark on the 4x4 center of the local map with plenty of dwarven citizens I named to migrate in. 
Spoiler: Dwarf Naming Rule (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Year 02 Summary (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Year 03 Summary (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Year 04 Summary (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Year 05 Summary (click to show/hide)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50664 on: September 22, 2017, 01:30:12 pm »

Do you use same civ for each embark?

When you reach desert, might capture, train and assign kangaroos as pets.

When you reach the center, might create murals of the world and local map.

Perhaps also create minecart tracks, bridges or aqueducts connecting embarks, just because you can.

Perhaps make one of the early forts for marriage and love and see if you get any kids while they're offsite for decades.

But I ramble. Seen it elsewhere in longer description, and is pretty neat idea. Going to be cool to look at all the embarks at once later.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50665 on: September 22, 2017, 02:14:48 pm »

Ooh, I like that marriage and love aspect in the early embark.
I may as well do that to the Year 06 I am about to do. 

I think using the wagon as QSP for food and drinks, then roof it with 2 bed honeymoon suites, and 2x2 dining.
I wonder if they will hook up before end of spring just in time to have babies by winter's end.
Thanks for the idea. 

Re: minecarts.  I'll see if I can add road building mixed in the "to do" within a year.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50666 on: September 22, 2017, 03:21:07 pm »

I will embark on a new fortress outpost each year, and retire on the first day of the next year. 
I hope that by year 62, I will embark on the 4x4 center of the local map with plenty of dwarven citizens I named to migrate in. 

I'm doing something similar now in this old world of mine, except very much slower. I'm founding a new fort each time after a generation of children has matured in the old one, aiming for the same neighborhood to encourage migration from the old fort. It's nice to see lots of familiar faces and know the stories behind the names:

- There's Old Ïteb, once an Elite Marksdwarf, but after being blinded in a deadly dust attack two decades ago he's now the happiest non-skilled labor in Helmsthrone. Never complaining.
- Them? They're Young Ïteb and Goden, former marksdwarves as well, now humble farmers. Don't stare, they lost most of their skin in another dust attack long ago.
- Here comes Dobby the House Goblin, once a piss-poor mercenary who was moved to tears after getting her first Dwarven-made sock, now the deadliest goblin Macelord in the realm.
- Oh, and Id, Zaneg and Tirist, those huge scarred dwarves over there? Rumor goes they were once part of a secret child soldier program in Copperfell; it's said they can kill just about anything with their bare hands. They're Legendary craftsdwarves these days.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:25:55 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50667 on: September 23, 2017, 10:57:45 pm »

So I turned 148 dwarves into vampires by mixing vampire blood and water.
But recently I found almost all the vampires were constantly tired.
I guess that's because they can't sleep?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50668 on: September 23, 2017, 11:05:14 pm »

So I turned 148 dwarves into vampires by mixing vampire blood and water.
But recently I found almost all the vampires were constantly tired.
I guess that's because they can't sleep?
They're suffering from lack of alcohol. Because vampires don't need to drink, they don't drink and as dwarves, they suffer.
However, anyone in the tavern will down anything handed to them in a cup by a tavern keeper (including knives, rocks and, on occasion, themselves) so set up a tavern, get the booze flowing and that should help.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50669 on: September 24, 2017, 12:08:07 am »

Well I'm on a version that doesn't have taverns.

Oh, and a vampire child is having a strange mood now. She demands shells but I have none.

So what happens if she goes insane? A vampire can not die of thirst, right?

We'll see.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:43:17 am by Libash_Thunderhead »
Pages: 1 ... 3376 3377 [3378] 3379 3380 ... 3836