Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3385 3386 [3387] 3388 3389 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857934 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50790 on: October 20, 2017, 09:02:23 am »

That's pretty nice adventure. Tempted to gen all-glacier cavy world and do it.

1. Ah, no, can't drink milk. Only vomit, maybe, and I assume that maybe is a no in your experience. Otherwise, only way to last till first migrant wave without drinking would be a visitor joining before expedition leader dies of thirst.

2. Point.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50791 on: October 20, 2017, 09:55:01 am »

1. Ah, no, can't drink milk. Only vomit, maybe, and I assume that maybe is a no in your experience. Otherwise, only way to last till first migrant wave without drinking would be a visitor joining before expedition leader dies of thirst.

Oh wow, you're right. Serves me right for never using a milking industry. Toady plz fix?

Also I guess a way to survive a caveless itemless glacier embark would be to simply delay embarking until late summer or autumn. It may violate the spirit of the challenge, but not the letter.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50792 on: October 20, 2017, 09:56:29 am »

Aren't glaciers normally frozen year-round? Doesn't really help with 0pt embarks.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50793 on: October 20, 2017, 10:37:37 am »

The idea is to trade, I expect; a summer/autumn arrival gives you a shot at the first caravan.  You can then use the three logs from the wagon to construct a trade depot and confiscate/deconstruct to get what you need.  Since you die after...hmmm, looks like a bit more than two months without a drink, judging by the Wiki (33.6k ticks per month, 75k ticks to death), a spring or early-summer embark is much more difficult. 

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50794 on: October 20, 2017, 10:46:22 am »

The idea is to trade, I expect; a summer/autumn arrival gives you a shot at the first caravan.  You can then use the three logs from the wagon to construct a trade depot and confiscate/deconstruct to get what you need.  Since you die after...hmmm, looks like a bit more than two months without a drink, judging by the Wiki (33.6k ticks per month, 75k ticks to death), a spring or early-summer embark is much more difficult.

Spring embark is impossible to consistently pull off. It can be done, but requires getting lucky with visitors.

Early summer embarks can be done, as it's unlikely you won't get a migrant wave before everybody dies of dehydration. You will then probably still have some dwarves left to trade come autumn.

Also you could theoretically embark on a glacier in early spring, retire, then unretire once it's autumn.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #50795 on: October 20, 2017, 10:56:23 am »

Is that possible to realibly build a vomit machine ?

Because I guess dorfs can't get cave-adapted quickly enough to vomit before they die of thirst.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50796 on: October 20, 2017, 12:15:12 pm »

There's a chance logs tossed on them hit them in the stomach, and they don't immediately die, resurrect, and kill the rest.

The retirement/delaying tricks are neat too, though diminishing.
Oh wow, you're right. Serves me right for never using a milking industry. Toady plz fix?
I would say that maybe the dwarves are just really lactose-intolerant, despite being fine with cinnabar and lead goblets.

I would, expect for the fact that you can freeze milk and make ice cream.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50797 on: October 20, 2017, 02:26:18 pm »

I would say that maybe the dwarves are just really lactose-intolerant, despite being fine with cinnabar and lead goblets.
[/quote]

They happily eat cheese though.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50798 on: October 20, 2017, 02:48:55 pm »

To be fair, primary symptoms of long-term lead poisoning tend to include loss of short-term memory, nausea, depression, and aggressive personality disorders.  Would we *really* notice if a dwarf had lead poisoning? 

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50799 on: October 21, 2017, 04:25:29 am »

Violenttrades, fortress without goods, has began to develop into something resembling a more traditional fort. The original dwarves, nourished by mushrooms and liquid water, began to prepare for the autumn caravan. Because the cavern lacked floor fungi or cave moss, the two pack animals were slaughtered. Their meat was processed into various roasts, while their skins and bones were carved into various trinkets. The harvested plump helmets yielded seeds, which were planted on a small field designated specifically for this purpose.

Depite the reputed danger of the caverns, things were surprisingly peaceful. Occasionally a cave crocodile or giant olm would appear on the map's edge, but they would never wander into the fortress proper. The only bloodshed took place on the surface, where a troll briefly clashed with a pack of ice wolves.

Come summer, a group of seven dwarves appeared on the horizon. Migrants! While most had skills that were either useless on a glacier or wouldn't be relevant for a long time, the appearance of a woodcutter and his steel axe were more than enough compensation for that. He was immediately tasked to start cutting down trees, finally allowing the fortress to expand a bit in terms of workshop creation. A carpenter's workshop was an obvious choice, and its barrels were quickly put to use in food production. A still, too, was created: soon the age of having only muddy water to drink would be over. A loom and clothier's shop were created to turn some of these spiderwebs into valuable dresses. Finally, one of the founders braved the evil weather to construct a trade depot, which was finished early autumn.

Fortunately, the traders had brought several picks with them, the cheapest a mere 110 ☼. It was quickly exchanged for the first few bone trinkets to reach the depot, along with a caged turkey hen the traders also brought.

Now, the dwarves prepare to dig deeper into the stone beneath the glacier, while the broker will soon resume his bargaining. Will the fortress survive? Will the dwarves find what they seek deep underground? Or will Violenttrades, in some ironic twist, suddenly start living up to its name? Stay tuned to find out!

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50800 on: October 22, 2017, 01:17:39 am »

My fort progresses well. We're stuck in a blisteringly hot desert, with the occasional undead siege, but thus fat turtling has worked quite well. They don;t seem to be able to deal with a moat three deep and three wide. We're quite prosperous -- Iron, Gold, and Flux; but no coal so far so no steel. Aparently we're the only iron the civ has access to. Casualties from a minor Werelizard infestation were roughly a dozen, but other than that and a couple sparring injuries (turns out the wiki wasn't kidding when it said you have to make your walls two thick or they magically teleport to the other side while dodging and fall to their deaths in the moat), and a vampire who made the mistake of sucking a kid dry in front of roughly 20 witnesses, it's been quite peaceful.

There is one interesting bug. One of my coffins has been reserved for Gorlak. Gorlak just seems to be a random Gorlak whose skeleton is rotting in the caverns, so I have no idea how it got marked as my civ.

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50801 on: October 22, 2017, 03:36:06 am »

First time I've seen a Fell Mood come up - and of course, out of a choice of visiting poet, legendary brewer and irritating noble, the well-loved and popular brewer gets the chop. And what does the miscreant create? An earring called Rithogedir 'the stinky dungeons'. You don't need a whole dwarf for an earring, could have just lopped of a leg or something.

Otherwise, Brasschapel is proving a remarkably rich and prosperous fort. We've more iron than we know what to do with, literal tons of gold and silver, four candy spires poking through into the third cavern, a volcano for power and a stream for water needs. Can't find flux so it looks like we're skipping steel tech, and both the queen and duchess have a fondness for axes and shields, so the military is absurdly well supplied. Now prepping to say hi to the local circus.

ETA: is there a bug where everyone starts to 'feel vengeful when joining an existing conflict', or are by dwarves getting in a fighting mood over something I'm missing? Because barring the wasteful earring I mentioned above, it's been revoltingly peaceful for overabout a year now - I've not even needed to butcher any animals in at least a season. Even dwarves burrowed deep in the fortress and free from the threat of being stung by a bee are feeling vengeful, when tbh, they should be bored/annoyed at their boring lives.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:50:43 am by Monomstodir »

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50802 on: October 22, 2017, 02:08:34 pm »

Violenttrades... did live up to its name.

While trading proceeded well enough initially, the moment this surface troll stumbled across the depot things escalated. For a good ten seconds it and the caravan guards just stared each other down, then a short battle erupted resulting in the troll's death. Fortunately, the merchants didn't leave.

I got some random items, seeds, another pick, a very cheap sword, and even a cat, so not a bad deal for some old carved bones.

Unfortunately, even more stuff went wrong moments later.

Itob, the dwarf tasked to mine out what would become the dwarves' home for the forseeable future, decided to go have a drink before digging anything. One giant cave toad attack later, I had an unconscious miner and no digging. The toad then wandered into my tavern and got itself killed by a ramshackle militia. Ah well, we got some meat out of it.

Before I could focus on the mining issue, the autumn migrant group arrived, swelling the fortress's population to 25 (23 of which are of age).

After some equipment-switching, I had two dwarves digging at a snail's pace. The stone they produced were immediately used for mechanisms, doors, furniture and floodgates.

As I was taking care of all this, I noticed a dwarf lying in a pool of blood in the cavern a fair distance away from everyone else. Closer inspection revealed that apparently it was my militia commander, and apparently he got severely mauled by a cave crocodile. I must've missed it amongst the troll and cave toad announcements.

He was quickly dragged into a 'hospital' (read: secluded part of the cave) and is at the very least unlikely to die, though I doubt how much he'll be able to heal with no trained doctors.

The miners eventually grew better, and finally I had a proper place to live, with stockpiles, workshops, a dining room and even a dormitory. No farms had been created inside of it yet, but a large room was being prepared for temporary flooding.

Suddenly, I get a message that one of my dwarves has been possessed. Imagine my surprise when I see it's my former militia commander, who has begun dragging himself to... a clothier's shop? Apparently he needs cloth and gems. Fortunately, I had created quite some cave spider silk cloth while preparing for the caravan.

Unfortunately, it seems the dwarf wants another type of cloth. That's a problem: I won't be able to plant pig tails for two more seasons, I have no yarn or wool, and I have no animals I can shear. Even if I found out what type of cloth he wants, I wouldn't be able to get him it.

Then again, I'm hesitant to just let the guy die. I haven't had a single casualty so far, and I'd like to keep it that way.

If all else fails, I may hope he turns berserk and let him topple a statue in a temple area. Having a werebeast or vampire on hand should have its uses.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50803 on: October 22, 2017, 04:27:23 pm »

You built a grand temple and hospital before planting basic crops? ... Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, enjoy your stay :)

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50804 on: October 22, 2017, 06:11:40 pm »

To be fair, you can often gather enough fruit and plants to not need farming for quite a while.
Pages: 1 ... 3385 3386 [3387] 3388 3389 ... 3836