Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3386 3387 [3388] 3389 3390 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862672 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50805 on: October 22, 2017, 06:33:25 pm »

Started a new fort!  There are only about 500 free dwarves left versus twenty thousand goblins. We make our last stand here! Hammerhead, the last bastion of dwarfkind!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50806 on: October 22, 2017, 08:28:38 pm »

ETA: is there a bug where everyone starts to 'feel vengeful when joining an existing conflict', or are by dwarves getting in a fighting mood over something I'm missing? Because barring the wasteful earring I mentioned above, it's been revoltingly peaceful for overabout a year now - I've not even needed to butcher any animals in at least a season. Even dwarves burrowed deep in the fortress and free from the threat of being stung by a bee are feeling vengeful, when tbh, they should be bored/annoyed at their boring lives.
The "feel vengeful when joining an existing conflict" seems to be from joining in any fight to defend a member of a their civ. If two of your dwarfs have a short fight in the main meeting area (because some dwarfs *like* to start fights), that could give the vengeful thought to many other dwarfs (because they chose to defend one of the participants of the fight). I don't know how long that feeling lasts.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50807 on: October 22, 2017, 10:32:55 pm »

Yeah, vengefulness penetrates sky, flesh, stone and magma. I've seen undead sieges ten times less dangerous than a single barn owl.

@Derro: Could harvest a pig tail and hope it is what you need. Otherwise, forbid 1 thing every month to reset mood counter.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50808 on: October 23, 2017, 12:44:21 am »

You built a grand temple and hospital before planting basic crops? ... Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, enjoy your stay :)

I actually don't have a temple yet, but I plan to make a tiny one so that if dwarfguy goes berserk, he becomes a cool night creature. Similarly, the 'hospital' is just five empty squares in a side passage of the caves somewhere. I don't even have a chief medical dwarf.

To be fair, you can often gather enough fruit and plants to not need farming for quite a while.

This, mostly. I have tons of meat from slaughtered pack animals and the giant creatures that keep throwing themselves on my militia's fists, and I also gather some cave plants on the side.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50809 on: October 23, 2017, 08:48:42 am »

Fortunately, the weaver ended up surviving. A few pig tails turned out to be growing in the caverns, and while the first few gathered got turned into ale before I noticed what was going on, a few more were successfully harvested and spun into cloth. With three pieces of cloth and a rose quartz gem, the weaver created... a fancy rope. I didn't even get a legendary clothesmaker out of it, as it was a possession.

While this was going on, an elven caravan arrived! Those tree-huggers typically don't have anything useful, but I figured they might have fancy animals and sent some bone crafts to the depot.

This turned out to be a mistake.

Literally the moment my broker walked into the depot, a pack of ice wolves attacked. The elves, being the useless buggers they are, chose to run away, while my broker decided to stand and fight. A short but bloody battle later, one ice wolf, one elf, and a yak cow laid dead, but so did my broker. The remaining three ice wolves then left, completely ignoring the cowering elf and horse who'd collapsed shortly after fleeing the battle.

Being the kind and merciful overseer I am (and also because the final elf still owned the depot goods), I sent my expedition leader to punch his face in. One brief battle later, I was the proud owner of a pile of clothing, wooden toys, and exotic fruits.

In slightly less macabre news, the fortress's indoor farm has finally been completed! This large field will provide us with plentiful plump helmets, at least until some building destroyer discovers the drain and smashes through the floodgate covering it.

I've also begun production of gold bars, though work on the metalsmith's forge is understandably delayed.

A second possession occurred, causing a miner to create... a gold bed consisting solely of three gold nuggets. It's priced at a whopping 144000☼.

One final thing of note is that both in spring and summer no migrants came to the fortress. Presumably, the relative poverty reported by the first caravan caused them to seek their fortunes elsewhere. Fortunately, the two artifacts should be more than enough to change this.

EDIT: Here's the artifacts, for anyone interested.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the record, I have no idea who 'Nita Wadeglimmer' is. I suspect that their settling on the glacier is one of the only notable things that's ever happened there, because my dwarves love to create art about them.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:01:54 am by Derro »

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50810 on: October 24, 2017, 02:02:56 am »

Violenttrades lived up to its name. Again.

As autumn approached, a massive pack of six ice wolves entered the map, wandering dangerously close to my depot. I was idly hoping they'd go away before the dwarves arrived, but of course they didn't: this fortress was cursed the moment I accepted its name.

To make matters worse, the outpost liaison decides to spawn dead next to the wolves. For a horrible moment I'm forced to watch as from all angles, the beasts charge at him and the diplomat begins running...

...and then two caravan guards rush in, and proceed to demolish the entire pack. It was uncanny: they'd gang up on one, spear and axe it to death within seconds, then move on to the next, barely getting wounded in the process.

For all that trouble, the caravans decide they don't want to go to my fortress after all, and leave. Fortunately, they also leave behind everything in their wagons, so I'm not complaining. Amongst other things, I finally have a wooly animal now (a ram), so future strange moods are going to be slightly less terrifying.

Further occurences included the creation of a barracks, the expansion of the stockpiles, a dwarf giving birth, and the plump helmet and gold production finally getting up to steam. Also notable was the incident where a giant olm attacked a herbalist (who ended up surviving). I called in the militia, then watched my militia commander destroy the olm within a few seconds. After I took a closer look, it turned out he didn't even have a weapon on him: he killed the massive reptile with his bare fists. This raises his number of kills to three.

Finally, a random hauler got a secretive mood. She claimed a craftsdwarf workshop, gathered two pieces of wood and a gold bar, began working, gave birth while working, created a fancy decorated fungiwood scepter, and walked off to collect her infant. I have a legendary woodcrafter now: pity I'm on a glacier.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #50811 on: October 24, 2017, 06:56:25 am »

A gold bed ? :o
Such a nice artifact !! 8)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #50812 on: October 24, 2017, 08:03:34 am »

That's it ! Ghosts discussions on the "What's going on in your adventures ?" have motivated me to start a ghost infested fortress.

I'll embark in a creepy (evil ?) rainy marsh.
I'll dfhack a 500 dorfs embark.
I'll find a way to kill all of the 500 quickly.
My remaining starting 7 will be flooded with ghosts.

Goals :
- Make a cemetery. But don't bury the dead. Ghosts are cool.
- Build a tower. Because towers are cool.
- Burn the dead. Fire is cool.
- Bury the deads and deconstruct their tombs => So more murderous ghosts => Cool.

I think that any intelligent creature of your civ can be ghosted, so I may dfhack merchants elves into my civ and make them populate the graveyard and haunt it.

I will probably call this fortress  DeadGhosts or something stupid like that.

EDIT : Damn it ! Remembered you can't build coffins outside ! I'll have to make little crypts then... Oh well

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50813 on: October 24, 2017, 08:46:43 am »

I'll find a way to kill all of the 500 quickly.
`exterminate DWARF` could end them all before you even see the embark wagon.

You could perhaps enable fishing and animal training on all of them first and make them pick a spot to fish/cage and train a pair of fish creatures.

Also maybe ballista operation.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:50:26 am by Fleeting Frames »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50814 on: October 24, 2017, 09:33:01 am »

Drawbridge. Just make a meeting zone under it and station the ones you want to survive somewhere else, sans one who will operate the lever.

I havent seen any interesting ghosts in a long time.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #50815 on: October 24, 2017, 10:53:03 am »

Or drowning.

I quickly (at 20 FPS though) built a little cabin near a swamp pool.
I separated the graveyard inhabitants using a burrow alert.

...And they are all in place.
Note the screw pump near the pond.

Spoiler: This is beautiful (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: This is even better (click to show/hide)

I fear the negative thoughts. All starting dwarves are friends after all...
Let's open the door !

Sure enough this happens.

But no tantrums :(

This game is too easy now.

Now ! Let's get some ghosts ! =D

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50816 on: October 24, 2017, 12:11:39 pm »

Hey, that's not dissimilar to the setup I use for swim training....Wait, that's too much water.

...*false hopes*

Maybe there's a minecart on track stop inside?

Noep.

What's the survivors happiness level at, after deconstructing the walls?

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50817 on: October 24, 2017, 01:07:25 pm »

Violenttrades has finally received a new wave of migrants. This combined with several births has swelled the population to the high thirties. In addition, the first platinum crafts were recently completed! They're valued at 800 each, and I can make eight from a single chunk of platinum ore.

Also, the militia is absolutely awesome. So far they've killed a giant cave toad and two giant cave crocodiles without being wounded in the slightest. The steel weapons they got from the fleeing caravan must have helped a lot.

Finally, the fortress now has a proper hospital! Water still needs to be brought in from the muddy pools outside, but it's better than the empty cave that was used up to now.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #50818 on: October 25, 2017, 02:04:28 am »

The survivors were at 5k stress in DT.
After some messing around, it jumped at 50k. DT says that they are "fine".
IDK at how much you become crazy.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50819 on: October 25, 2017, 06:54:01 am »

The broker got moody, grabbed three chunks of diorite, and made an artifact mechanism. I guess in the future I could combine it with the artifact rope to create a badass well, for now it's presented as a lever in my dining room.

The elves came to trade, so I gave them some useless crap, partially snagged from their previous caravan. At least, I tried to.

Turns out that while elf goods are generally made out of grown wood, the cages their animals come in aren't. When I tried to return the random vermin the previous caravan left behind, the elves immediately ended negotiations.

Being the kind overseer I am, I merely seized all of their goods and allowed them to leave (read: the militia was too far away to stop the elves from escaping).

A long stairway was constructed some time later, to allow faster travel between the cavern and the surface.

Some months later, a bunch of migrants entered the map next to a pack of ice wolves, which went about as well as you'd expect. Two dwarves died, as did two of the wolves.

Even so, Violenttrades endures.
Pages: 1 ... 3386 3387 [3388] 3389 3390 ... 3836