Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3388 3389 [3390] 3391 3392 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5848475 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50835 on: October 27, 2017, 05:09:49 pm »

The hamlet of Unalolin (Blunted Tongs) has some interesting wall decor: Apparently there is a place called: The Hills of Veiling. For the past 180+ years (many engravings in my fort) this place is the scene of DF Verdun. Every race and bit of wildlife has held massive pitched battles there, one was called "Ustrok Slaz" or "The Battle of Splattering," which was quite descriptive of the scene depicted: Elf bought it via goblin crossbowman. Everything from giant wolves, dingoes, zombie hydras you name it have been slaughtering the hell of anything in that region. Frankly, after this fort is over I want to travel there and continue this legendary's place bloody history: build a fortified dwarf fortress and let the screaming hordes of hell come and just TRY to push me off these "veiled hills" of Verdun.

Seriously, my dwarves have been making a "complete history of..." for those hills through engravings, nasty, nasty stuff has happened there.

I wish I had dwarves engraving interesting history. With me, it's just '150 years ago, a plump helmet woman settled here' and 'two years ago, the militia commander exploded an elf by punching his head'.

Just means you're in a region with little to nothing going on besides what's happened in your own locale. Common problem I have what with settling in the boonies away from everyone besides possible "sparring partners."

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50836 on: October 28, 2017, 03:51:27 am »

Remember that giant gemstone webspitter? It died in a rather anticlimactic fashion. While it was busy beating a bone carver's legs into pulp, an axedwarf simply walked up and split its head in two. Although a large number of dwarves have died, in the end the fortress has survived. Immediately after migrants arrived, further compensating for the losses.

I set up a modest soap industry to deal with the wounded, then began digging towards the adamantine I'd spotted before. Attempt one failed due to an unrevealed cave lake flooding the tunnel, but attempt two was successful. I can now begin extraction of the precious ore!

A weaponsmith grabbed a ton of stuff and made a gold crossbow. On it was a picture of the native gold scepter made some time ago. The scepter conspiracy continues...

A gobbo siege came, consisting of about a dozen of the little green buggers. On their way to my entrance, they ran afoul of some visiting warriors and got themselves killed.

Moments after, the dwarven caravan arrived. However, due to a slight constructive error, they didn't appear next to the tunnel down, but a good distance over. Once more, the caravan was lost to the horrid murk. To prevent any such things from happening in the future, I deepened the channels surrounding the tunnel and constructed an icy overhang, then cleaned away all of the murk below it. Now the wagons can appear in only one, murk-free spot, then immediately drive into a closed-off passage leading directly towards the depot. There's no way that can go wrong, is there?

Also a farmer got moody and claimed a craftsdwarf workshop. I swear, if he's making a scepter...

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50837 on: October 29, 2017, 04:27:55 am »

The moody dwarf made no scepter, but a crappy amulet. It's so ridiculously cheap and bland that I really can't say anything interesting about it.

Much of the other stuff that happened was just the usual. Platinum and adamantine are getting mined, a dwarf got attacked by a cave crocodile which the militia then murdered (I got to be close to depleting their population by now), I finally created a fortress guard, and also a horde of something like 40 goblins, 15 beak dogs, and two blizzard men arrived.

I'm now slowly whittling away at said horde by lowering the drawbridge, letting a number in, and raising it again, then unleashing my army. So far it works pretty well: none of the dwarves have been seriously injured, while around fifteen foes have already been killed. I guess I'll just keep doing that.

Also, a miner got a strange mood while expanding the adamantine collection area and is now demanding plant cloth. One problem: I can't find pig tails anywhere in the caverns.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50838 on: October 29, 2017, 09:01:50 am »

I have a problem. In Bastiongate, I grew very attached to every dwarf. Since it was a long-running fortress, it also had some serious defenses. I adopted a policy of "no dwarf left behind". However, now that I have a new fortress, I can't save everyone, but I feel like I should.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50839 on: October 29, 2017, 10:30:32 am »

I have a problem. In Bastiongate, I grew very attached to every dwarf. Since it was a long-running fortress, it also had some serious defenses. I adopted a policy of "no dwarf left behind". However, now that I have a new fortress, I can't save everyone, but I feel like I should.

Who wants to go through that book throwing and/or book burning emotion when you discovered your nurtured characters meet in fruitless demise? 

See right here?  This is where we need a professional overseer(s) who can end things with cold detachment in order free the founder from mundane sentimental notions.   :D

I feel ya.  It's sometimes better off leaving them hanging, unsaid endings.  After all, it's the journey the counts

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50840 on: October 29, 2017, 10:42:51 am »

I prefer to write endings to my forts rather than really ending them. That's the only way to win DF.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50841 on: October 29, 2017, 11:14:43 am »

One of my engravers found out that Zan my chief medical dwarf is afraid of jumping spiders... Said engraver then immortalized this fact by engraving a picture of Zan surrounded by jumping spiders, Zan appears terrified. I imagine that if DF allowed retribution for this there would be a murder taking place when Zan walks by and sees this new and VERY finely engraved mural.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50842 on: October 29, 2017, 01:02:02 pm »

That's..Yeah, I understand that problem Flame. Ultimately, complete freedom from it is nihilistic - though whether one finds joy or sadness in such freedom depends on the individual.

@Derro: Could be missing from embark, tbh. Not guaranteed to get every plant. I'd check with prospect to be sure.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50843 on: October 29, 2017, 01:11:09 pm »

@Derro: Could be missing from embark, tbh. Not guaranteed to get every plant. I'd check with prospect to be sure.

I've had pig tails appear in these specific caverns before, though. Worst case I'll just set up a small farm and hope the first harvest will take place before the miner's insanity.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50844 on: October 30, 2017, 06:51:35 am »

*double-checks wiki* Huh, that might be possible, given pig tails (and plump helmets) grow duration of 25 days.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50845 on: October 30, 2017, 12:37:22 pm »

The second siege of Violenttrades was eventually broken, but not before two of the brave dwarf warriors died. Casualties on the goblin side were fortunately far greater, and one of their vile dog-mounts was even captured (and subsequently used for live training).

The moody miner ended up getting the stuff he needed, and made a native platinum weapon rack. It's over 200000 dwarfbucks, making it the single most valuable object in the fortress.

Apart from that, little of note happened. I got a giant haul of weapons, armor, and clothes, adamantine and platinum reserves are rapidly growing, and we're producing more food than we know what to do with. Sure, like a quarter of the fortress has current or previous injuries from aggressive cavern fauna, but I got to keep the medics trained somehow.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50846 on: October 30, 2017, 01:40:12 pm »

So I select all the xClothingx to be hauled to the trade depot.
There are some items hauled there, but they are colored red and I cannot toggle T to trade them. 

Any idea what is causing this?

Anyway, I did not feel like bothering with a siege in a mostly open bordered above ground fort.  So I set the invader count to 0, but I still got a siege of 1 troll, 1 elf, and 1 beak dog.  It was on ok distraction, but I was surprised that a siege come at all.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50847 on: October 30, 2017, 02:04:10 pm »

My dwarves are engraving the entire fort with every gory death in known history, I mean it, the halls are lined with countless depictions of dying dwarves, elves, goblins and humans. In the sleeping area they are PARTICULARLY engraving dead/dying dwarves and elves, also coins. What happy thoughts while you go to sleep every night. Meanwhile a farmer has lived for one year without arms, giant monkey helped on that count, locked her in her own room though, waiting on her to die, she has spent more than a year wailing about how she can not "store item" due to inability to grasp anything. As to how she is managing to eat and drink, no idea.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #50848 on: October 30, 2017, 02:19:48 pm »

My dwarves are engraving the entire fort with every gory death in known history, I mean it, the halls are lined with countless depictions of dying dwarves, elves, goblins and humans. In the sleeping area they are PARTICULARLY engraving dead/dying dwarves and elves, also coins. What happy thoughts while you go to sleep every night.
that's just kinda how the engravings go, since there is so much fighting and killing in the legends there is a very high chance that the engraving will be of a dwarf smashing a elf's skull in with a hammer.

Meanwhile a farmer has lived for one year without arms, giant monkey helped on that count, locked her in her own room though, waiting on her to die, she has spent more than a year wailing about how she can not "store item" due to inability to grasp anything. As to how she is managing to eat and drink, no idea.
if she can't leave her room it sounds like a very strange glitch, if she can leave her room it could be something like she just eats like an animal now.
if you want to kill her set up a small room, make an atom smasher, burrow her in, and pull the lever.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50849 on: October 30, 2017, 04:49:32 pm »

So I select all the xClothingx to be hauled to the trade depot.
There are some items hauled there, but they are colored red and I cannot toggle T to trade them. 

Any idea what is causing this?
Check to see if your nobles have banned any exports.
Pages: 1 ... 3388 3389 [3390] 3391 3392 ... 3836