Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3390 3391 [3392] 3393 3394 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860827 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50865 on: November 01, 2017, 11:09:01 pm »

Having my engraver carve up numerous custom images of elves dying in gruesome and horrific ways (a lot of them are in the hall leading up to the trade depot too, so you can bet any visiting elf merchants will see them).
I hope there's a feature that they can really "see" them.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #50866 on: November 02, 2017, 04:16:05 am »

Elf merchant cancels attend depot: Terrified!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50867 on: November 02, 2017, 10:01:28 am »

Starting up a whole new fort, and promptly seeing giant hippos, giant alligators, and carp.

Oh carp, I just hope this won't end like one of my evil biome embarks where I got crushed in record time.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #50868 on: November 02, 2017, 10:28:43 am »

Starting up a whole new fort, and promptly seeing giant hippos, giant alligators, and carp.
hippos aren't violent, for some reason (even though they are super territorial irl).
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50869 on: November 02, 2017, 10:52:12 am »

I usually just rectify that by giving them the [PRONE_TO_RAGE] tag in their raws.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50870 on: November 02, 2017, 11:08:12 am »

Elf merchant cancels attend depot: Terrified!
Hm, it wouldn't be hard to automatically reveal a sentient corpse or whatnot in depot every spring.

Rabbot32

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50871 on: November 02, 2017, 01:55:18 pm »

While casually browsing youtube, I happened across a video with a generic clickbait title and a thumbnail involving cooking steak by putting it on a piece of metal and flowing lava underneath. I think I know what I'm going to try to do today.
Hell's bells, we're still using signatures?

Runaway_char

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50872 on: November 02, 2017, 03:18:35 pm »

I found the perfect place for my new capitol city!  There's a massive bay that almost splits the main continent in half, and the tips of the land curve around to almost touching - I embarked right on the strait between them.  Going to build an aboveground city on a massive bridge over the 1 -embark tile wide strait.    Best part?  The ocean freezes solid in the winter

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50873 on: November 02, 2017, 04:04:51 pm »

Last night, the first siege of my current fortress arrived.  I was not "fully" prepared for a siege in that I did not have a fully operational death course ready (working on it! the falling pit takes a while to excavate and smooth) but I did have a small squad of melee dwarfs kitted out with full steel armor and weapons.  I restricted the civilians to the interior burrow and activated the squad, stationing them near the main interior entrance on the far end of a long two-cornered entrance tunnel (to protect them from being picked off at range by goblin bowmen.)  Unfortunately, the militia captain stationed on the far side of the (double-thick) wall from the rest of their squad, right in the center of the entrance tunnel and in the sights of goblin bowmen firing from outside.  I quickly changed the station order so they would back up from the wall a bit and the captain would path back around too them, but I was too late, the goblins were already at the entrance. 

The captain ignored the order and charged at the goblins, while the goblin's assault leader simultaneously charged the captain.  There was a single-stroke exchange, and the assault leader's head ended up two tiles from their body with but a swipe from the captain's steel short sword.  The captain then proceeded to chase the rest of the goblins down and butcher them one by-one, even as their bowmen peppered them with silver arrows. 

The captain returned to station completely unscratched, not even a bruise to show for it. 

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50874 on: November 02, 2017, 08:05:29 pm »

Standarddied, 127:

*The fortress is deathly silent, the population is all but decimated and a stinking miasma fills the air above dozens of twitching dwarven carcasses. We zoom in on "The Hairy Pepper" tavern, where a pair of visiting entertainers stand looking uncertain.*

Human poet: Are we...are we the only humanoid beings left in the entire fortress?
Elf crossbowman: Perhaps. Certainly we are the only left in this tavern. *Gestures with her hand to the multitude of dehydrated dwarf corpses piled up around the room*
Human poet: So...think that's a sign we should pack our things and head back to The Tenacious Suitor?
Elf crossbowman: Hmmm...let's at the very least finish this recitation first, we had a good rhythm going.
Human poet: Agreed...*resumes simulating the rami as the elven crossbowman continues chanting*

*Meanwhile one z-level down Kivish the clothier runs around half-naked and flailing her arms erratically, spouting gibberish and laughing hysterically*

Kivish: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I LIKE WATER BUFFALOS FOR THEIR WATER WALLOWING!!! *collapses from dehydration*

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:21:38 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50875 on: November 02, 2017, 08:36:56 pm »

The captain returned to station completely unscratched, not even a bruise to show for it.
Hurray!!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50876 on: November 02, 2017, 09:28:33 pm »

Undead are being kept in check for now, and hollows are going more or less smoothly, with no attacks by awakened chalk. Having some issues keeping a pair of severed heads and an arm down, as the game still partially utilizes the hitpoint system for severed parts (non pulping or really drastically damaging hits are rendering the severed heads in question inert.)

Gonna do housing blocks of 4 dwarves to a room with a small set of personal storage and bedding, mainly to encourage forming friendships and the like.

Hope to get a few more fightin' dorfs and building crew in the first waves; I sense things will get very ugly, very quickly, especially with a resurrecting biome.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50877 on: November 03, 2017, 01:23:40 pm »

Hurray!!
It actually surprised me a bit.  I knew silver arrows would not penetrate steel armor, but I figured they were pretty dense and moving fast and would result in a lot of modest blunt impact trauma.  Not so big a deal when there is a whole squad to split the enemy's targeting and engage more of them simultaneously, but worrysome when one dwarf can get hammered from multiple attackers without backup. 

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50878 on: November 03, 2017, 02:44:08 pm »

Hilarity came knocking: A giant attacked, got sealed out so it hung around in the trade depot trying to destroy it... Elves show up. Well he ignores them till they enter the depot then all hell broke loose, I checked the combat log and choked: The giant was beating the elves to death with it "apples." Depending on how fast you read the combat log it sounded like the giant was crushing the elves to death (and their pack animals) with the "apples" between his legs. Even reading again slowly it was funny, he giant plucked two apples from the pack animals and is physically beating elves and animals to death with apples.

Runaway_char

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50879 on: November 03, 2017, 07:59:09 pm »

After about three in-game years, one of my dwarves became king after discussing it over with local rivals...  I knew my parent civ was having it bad, but I didn't think it was THIS bad...

The problem is that I don't even have bedrooms - I've kinda just been playing chill with making an aboveground city, and buildings for workshops, stockpiles,and taverns came first.  Is there a chance this new king is going to go crazy from lack of accomodations?
Pages: 1 ... 3390 3391 [3392] 3393 3394 ... 3836