Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3391 3392 [3393] 3394 3395 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861688 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50880 on: November 03, 2017, 08:03:37 pm »

Build a wooden mead hall, that's what I did in Blazecooks.

They weren't particularly pleased but they had somewhere to call a throne room.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Runaway_char

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50881 on: November 03, 2017, 08:11:31 pm »

Would it be possible to make the mead hall do double duty as a tavern?  i.e. can you assign him a throne room and assign it to a location?  Or does the game prevent that?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50882 on: November 03, 2017, 09:04:32 pm »

A nice surprise as I began a relatively smooth unretire today. No 'hostile' guests, no pop explosion, just one dorf gone insane while I was away.

Reassign a couple of rooms, throw down some chests, cabinets and archery targets, set the booze production going and we're back up and running. How nice.

Meanwhile deep down in the caverns, a new tribe of ant-men have discovered Fun in the form of a slowly expanding sea of magma. Gaping holes in the side of a magma tube seem to be the cause.

Lets see how long the dorfs can survive as their brand new under-floor heating system is rolled out...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:08:33 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50883 on: November 03, 2017, 11:46:41 pm »

Is there a chance this new king is going to go crazy from lack of accomodations?
Not likely. I've had kings/queens for years, using unowned beds. I do recall fufilling their "build this" demands. It might matter once you have a higher wealth and many dwarfs in your fort, and it might be just in 43.05 where dwarfs are still much harder to get upset, but for now you can ignore their bedroom wants.

...giant plucked two apples from the pack animals and is physically beating elves and animals to death with apples.
Your giant must have a high cooking skill. He is doing the prep-work for the "slow-roast dwarf, baked in elf-and-apple sauce" recipe.

I sense things will get very ugly, very quickly, especially with a resurrecting biome.
Plan ahead for large fleshy things like giants and ettins. Maybe dig a few pits and put a few stone blocks nearby. Then when you easily kill the large fleshy thing, you have a nearby pit to throw the body in and blocks to floor it over, before it animates and becomes the dwarf-smashing horror that large undead are. Or build cage traps...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #50884 on: November 04, 2017, 02:36:20 pm »

Overseer's Log of Domas Udizkosoth, 28th of Granite, 1st year since we were sent in this inhospitable desert in order to create a great fortress of Laborhall.

We have discovered a great magma sea, located deeply beneath the rocks. I and my miners have created a blueprint for bringing the magma closer to the upper levels of our fortress. We decided to call it "Magma piston". By applying enough brute force to the magma via causing artificial cave-in, we'll make it go up. Unfortunately, when my miners dug the access stairway, we stumbled upon another cavern system. Thankfully, we have walled off the section of the cavern. But my miners have reported that they saw some small red-skinned humanoids, swimming in the magma like a cave crocodile swims in the underground water. Due to the lies of our royal geologist about the abundance of shallow metals, and about the presence of the aquifer (neither of those things are here), we don't have any form of protection made out of metal, which means that we must be very careful to not provoke those humanoids.

---End of the Log---
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50885 on: November 04, 2017, 07:44:12 pm »

For several seasons Hammerhead has received no migrants. Every single historical figure in the civ except a few position holders now live in my fortress.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50886 on: November 05, 2017, 05:17:59 am »

First fort in half a decade. Yesterday I discovered the joy of the new trees combined with Giant Keas.

The dorf caravan arrived at the same time as the birds, so I figured, I'd just let the caravan guards take care of the buggers. The depot is still outside, so all the action wasn't threatening the proper fort. As the interrupt spam didn't cease, I observed the goings on for a bit. No marksdorfs among the caravan guards... Still considered the giant flying buggers more a nuisance than a threat, but then a horse died. Looked around outside and noticed a number of dorfs are stuck in trees. Were the flying giant buggers picking the dorfs up and dropping them in trees? Also found a dead miner. It was time to do something about the buggers.

Luckily, I'd just set up my military and had three marksdorfs, who I proceeded to send outside to fire wooden stakes at the giant flying buggers, resulting in a great lack of flying toothpicks. Apparently, there weren't any quivers. After getting the quivers sorted out, the toothpick launchers managed to keep the giant flying buggers at bay. Didn't kill any, but kept them at a distance. Also noticed that the toothpick launchers climbed trees while hunting, so the tree-hugging dorfs must have gotten there themselves, and would hopefully also get down by themselves, like the marksdorfs kept doing. (No, didn't happen. Assigning them all to a squad and ordering them to move didn't help either. Had to build stairs, but this wasn't unexpected knowing dorfs.)

After the flying giant buggers had buggered off, I studied the combat reports to find out that the dead horse hadn't been fighting, but died due to impact (perhaps it too had fled the giant flying buggers by climbing a tree and, once in the safety of the canopy, it had figured out the error in its logic, and that it's a horse and cant climb trees, and promptly fell down), and the dead miner had been fighting a giant louse, which he probably ran into while fleeing the giant flying buggers. Judging from the giant louse being named, it must have killed the dorf after all the wrestling, but the combat reports were inconclusive.

After things were running smoothly again, a second pack of giant flying buggers decided to pop in to celebrate the beginning of a new season. Oh Joy! There were only four of them this time, and only about five dorfs got stuck in trees. When the marksdorfs finally managed to kill the last one, a giant rattlesnake popped in from the same corner of the map the final flying giant bugger had been killed in. It promptly started to play with one of the marksdorfs, which I didn't immediately notice. The other marksdorfs were standing a little distance away behind a tree, so they didn't see what was going on. After a quick hint of standing on the other side of the tree, they promptly turned the snake into a toothpick-cushion. Once the snake kicked the bucket, a Panda decided to enter the map from the same corner, only to get promptly turned into a toothpick-cushion as well. At least most of my doctor's skills are no longer rusty.

Oh! And the hippies brought a grizzly bear the following spring. Hopefully they understand to bring a mate to it next year.

Next, I think I'll get rid of all the trees within toothpicking distance of my entrance and build a nice big tower for my three marksdorfs to fire from. I'll also need to make some traps to capture some of the flying giant buggers. Wouldn't mind finding some other ores than sphalerite either, as there isn't even any goblinite in the world to turn into useful metals...

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50887 on: November 05, 2017, 06:04:58 pm »

I just had my fey stricken carpenter make a cherry wood chair artifact....yeah...after I got over my bafflement, it was kinda funny to see my carpenter work fiercely on what basically amounts to regular chair with a higher quality, least I got a legendary carpenter out of it
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50888 on: November 06, 2017, 12:58:06 am »

I just had my fey stricken carpenter make a cherry wood chair artifact....yeah...after I got over my bafflement, it was kinda funny to see my carpenter work fiercely on what basically amounts to regular chair with a higher quality, least I got a legendary carpenter out of it
If you build that in your dining room, all dwarfs that eat there will be happier, even if they don't get to sit in "the chair", since it increases the room value. If you put it near the door, most dwarfs will pass by it on their way to a table. I just got a legendary chert coffin and that is going in the temple's front room, where all the coffins are, so dwarfs will walk past on their way to pray.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Troll_Kaiser177

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50889 on: November 06, 2017, 10:05:36 am »

Got a pretty sweet bug going on where my migrants will walk a single space onto the map and refuse to move anywhere else until I conscript them. Same thing with animals, so it's dog-meat ho from here dorfs.
S̸͔̃ ̵̻̔L̸̦̅ ̵̨̊Д̵̮̽ ̵͘ͅV̶̬͛ ̵͕͠Ӟ̸̣́ ̶͚̕ ̴͉͝ T ̴͕̋Ӧ̵̻́ ̵̨̋ ̶̭̂ ̷̧͌Д̵̓ͅ ̶̦̒Я̶̝̾ ̵̄͜М̷̜̉ ̴̮̋О̶͓̒ ̶̝͗К̶̼͐

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50890 on: November 06, 2017, 10:11:27 am »

Got a pretty sweet bug going on where my migrants will walk a single space onto the map and refuse to move anywhere else until I conscript them. Same thing with animals, so it's dog-meat ho from here dorfs.

Ouch on that one.

As for my Dwarf-Com fort, been getting some possessions, and some woefully uninteresting artifacts (A blue gem crown I think, and a pig fiber right mitten).  Are those dang artifact mittens remotely usable, or are they like crafts and just mere megabeast magnets?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50891 on: November 06, 2017, 11:35:42 am »

Hadn't played for years, decided it was time to get back into it. First fort was a disgrace even before I started wrestling with how rusty my interfacing skills had gotten, and most of my troubles came from a horrendously bad gear and skill setup for embarking. We struggled, we idled, and we barely even breached the soil layer.

Then the zombie yaks came.

Second fort turned out a fair bit better, and I actually managed to start mapping out some very basic plans for an actual settlement. Even got a couple migrants, and I started the process of relocating and expanding my hospital area.

Then the werewaterbuffalo came.  It actually got punched to death fairly handily (hah), but the injuries my dwarves suffered made me hurry plans for the completion of the hospital. I made a tragic mistake regarding water pressure, and the hospital (now centrally located in my housing wing) well became a hospital fountain.

Third fort figured it should try out a less ambitious embark zone to see if that helped at all. We hollowed out a big temporary housing/storage/farming/everything area in the local clay, set up a tavern to see what that was like, and did alright. I didn't know what kea were, however, and had most of my workshops and storage outside.  First they stole the silver maces I'd made for when I started a military, then they stole the ¤34,600 artifact stone figurine crafted by a migrant child (moments after it had been completed, actually). Then a goblin snatcher appeared and stole the child because I didn't know how to control my military. The kea swarms were interrupting everything in my fortress because people frequently had to go aboveground for things, and the hunters would stand in random areas and spam hundreds of "cancels hunt: no path" messages per second per hunter. I complained about the damn birds.

I shouldn't have complained about the damn birds.

And then the forgotten beast came.

Somehow we survived, despite the gigantic skinless crocodile with poisonous vapors barreling straight through the exploratory staircase that led directly into the heart of my fledgling fortress, ignoring the traps which were the only defense I'd made on that side of things (not that my 3 military dwarves would've had much to say in the matter anyways). Some migrant punched it to death, I believe, or a miner got a lucky hit in. I'm not sure. All I knew was that it ate my chief (and only) medical dwarf as the appetizer to his rampage.  I had to conscript some random cheesemaker as the new head surgeon to deal with all the wounded and covered-in-ick.

Now I'm trying to carve out an actual fortress so we can move out of the clay tavern, but the going is slow and the planning is worse. I learned how to command squads. We now have an artifact bronze mace and an artifact bronze shield (plus an artifact maple barrel), as well as a mayor and all the joy that pissy nobles bring. Many (many) humans have petitioned for residency, and some have had this granted. We are currently under siege by a force of 20-some bards who are forming chorus lines on the mossy and fungus-covered clay floor of the tavern, and I dread the (likely not too far-off) day when an actual siege comes because or first line of defense is just a couple cage traps.

Then the giantess came.

I quickly scrambled my military squad to fighting positions and awaited the inevitable charge. After several moments of waiting, I discovered that the giantess had immediately stepped on a cage trap and was now listed as a "caged guest".  The giant crows have reverted to a wild state. We're going to need to find something to do with these tribes of troglodytes I've got locked in my cages. A fisherdwarf got stuck in a tree.

That about sums it up.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50892 on: November 06, 2017, 11:44:25 am »

You loser, you should've lost the third fort.

Three in a row!

Now, back to starting a fort in the most inhospitable and hostile region I can find, and then TO THE CIRCUS!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50893 on: November 06, 2017, 12:18:21 pm »

As for my Dwarf-Com fort, been getting some possessions, and some woefully uninteresting artifacts (A blue gem crown I think, and a pig fiber right mitten).  Are those dang artifact mittens remotely usable, or are they like crafts and just mere megabeast magnets?

Maybe a zero-bin stockpile for artifacts in a busy part of the fort would give happy thoughts to passing dwarves? Has anyone tried that?

@Kagus: Having lots of fun, then?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50894 on: November 06, 2017, 03:36:37 pm »

Having your first artifact stolen right away, and then the creator stolen as well? Hold your horses, Toady hasn't updated yet!

@Ametsala: People have tried that, because they enjoy looking at their artifacts. However, the only emotional reaction dwarves have to items on the floor is horror at corpses.
Pages: 1 ... 3391 3392 [3393] 3394 3395 ... 3836