Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3392 3393 [3394] 3395 3396 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861249 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50895 on: November 06, 2017, 04:27:23 pm »

Yeah, I thought it was pretty amusing that the kid got snatched right after his prized artifact got swooped by the world's richest kea to be sold at his furniture store. The kid was right in the corner of the tavern room when it happened, but the military squad 6 tiles away couldn't be bothered to stop training long enough to attack the thief and the other partygoers were far too busy getting drunk to let a little kidnapping spoil the mood.

We've got dozens of things coated with the forgotten beast syndrome, but it doesn't appear to actually do anything. Or maybe it just has an exceptionally long incubation period, I'unno... I sold some of the contaminated items to the elves and have since been working on designs for a washing zone that gets rid of puddles without polluting the water source.

Oh, yeah, and apparently traders can get interrupted now? The humans saw a giant bushtit while they were offloading goods into the depot, and then after killing it they just packed right back up and left without saying a word.  You'd think a career merchant would be used to bushtit, but I guess not.

I've got a breeding pair of giant cave toads that are refusing to, y'know... Breed. Also got a few giant olms. The exploratory staircase is surrounded by cage traps (and weapon traps made from a few of the 100+ enormous corkscrews I've produced as trade goods) and it's been going pretty much nonstop, just hoovering up cave critters who can't resist coming over to check out how stairs do. We had a giant bat, but he went rogue after being wounded and left to die down in the cavern. I think he's the one who came back and murdered a peasant who figured it'd be cool to just loiter down in the tower-cap field.

@Kagus: Having lots of fun, then?
Yeah. Well, not so much the snagging ever migrant wave and reassigning them to something moderately useful instead of MORE DAMN FISHERDWARVES (roughly 70% of all the migrants I've received have had all fishing labors enabled. Apparently my civilization is made up of a bunch of coastal dwarves, and I'm the only oddball who settled in a forest), and not so much the hopelessness of realizing that all the dugout fortress areas have glaring weaknesses, but it's all good fun.  It's coming back to me.

You loser, you should've lost the third fort.

Three in a row!

Working on it. Shouldn't be too much longer, I reckon...

EDIT: A kea has now stolen the artifact bronze shield. Apparently my militia commander dropped it outside at some point. This is a bit more of a loss than the damn figurine.

EDIT2: I made a secondary squad with some new migrants, and the squad somehow came out being titled "The Constructive Goals". Apparently they're a bunch of semi-murderous life coaches. Go figure.

The goblins attacked, and I stationed my soldiers at a bottleneck behind an array of traps.  ...or at least I tried to, because my militia commander (and most valuable military dwarf) took that particular moment to re-equip himself with a shield after he 'misplaced' the irreplaceable artifact one he had earlier. So, naturally, he marched outside to a small hill where I sometimes post lookouts in order to pick up the -leather shield- some random recruit had left lying out there.

He was caught by the siege, of course, but he managed to obliterate a beak dog and its dwarven rider (about 50% of the 'goblin' siege was made up of dwarves. I thought that snatcher had had a flashing, legendary name... Clearly he'd been busy for the past couple hundred years, singlehandedly raising an army of orphans.

Anyways, I sent the rest of the army outside to try and save him, and everyone died before the siege started moving on towards the civilians.

But then the Crash To Desktop came.

Tesnivy812

• Bay Watcher
  • Boss Hen
    • View Profile
« Reply #50896 on: November 06, 2017, 09:13:47 pm »

After a catastrophic FB attack that killed all but 7 (wow what a coincidence) of my dwarves (not counting the 19 performers I accidentally hired, or the two mercenaries serving as my only serious fighters), I wondered why my newly-assigned chief medical dwarf was cancelling so many more jobs out of grief/emotional shock than my other six (who were just cancelling jobs because of the FB webs covering the lower half of the fortress). I check his thoughts & preferences screen, and after scrolling through an egregious amount of "felt nothing after seeing X die" messages, I realize what's wrong.

He's six years old

I guess I must have changed the raws to make dwarves mature faster at some point. Oh well, at least he's more functional than those damn performers.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50897 on: November 07, 2017, 03:50:25 am »

Got a pretty sweet bug going on where my migrants will walk a single space onto the map and refuse to move anywhere else until I conscript them. Same thing with animals, so it's dog-meat ho from here dorfs.
That happens when they cannot path to any meeting areas (blocked by a river or a locked door).

Edit: And my fort... Got the FB notice about a flying and firebreathing weevil. It immediately went for a nearby Gorlack so I closed the cavern gate and forgot about it... Let the locals play with it, fire-breathers are a pain. More combat reports, but why is it fighting my dogs, my dogs are all in the basement of my tower!?! Okay, one of the miners cut into a cavern wall while chasing an ore vein, and now the FB is inside, and all my dogs and fungus farms are burning. All I see is smoke and flickering redness. Well, there are 170 dwarfs and 80% have weapons... let's see what happens.. More smoke obscures everything, dwarfs are melting and smothering. All dead... Damn weevils.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:05:00 am by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50898 on: November 07, 2017, 04:27:20 am »

This is why one should always attempt to approach the lesser of two weevils.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50899 on: November 07, 2017, 06:40:33 am »

Fairly new to DF. Just experienced my entire fortress die from dehydration.
Carnivore race that's not alcohol dependent. Didn't put much effort into making booze due to that.
Winter came down hard and froze the river.
T'was quite a sight.

Retry, do better.
This game is quite fun.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50900 on: November 07, 2017, 08:08:02 am »

(imagine a dwarf dancing under the jungle canopy singing) Its raining monkey, hallelujah, *monkey falls dead* oh its just raining monkeys hallelujah! *another one falls*

For some reason giant monkeys are getting into the tall trees, falling and dying, free meat and leather though! 

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50901 on: November 07, 2017, 10:06:26 am »

Yeah, just because a critter is a "legendary climber" by default doesn't necessarily mean that they're actually particularly good at climbing.

Or, rather, they are good at climbing, they're just not very good at holding on.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50902 on: November 07, 2017, 05:22:45 pm »

Fairly new to DF. Just experienced my entire fortress die from dehydration.
Carnivore race that's not alcohol dependent. Didn't put much effort into making booze due to that.
Winter came down hard and froze the river.
T'was quite a sight.

Retry, do better.
This game is quite fun.

This ought to teach you the importance of a cistern with a well.  Even carnivores still need to drink water, to say nothing of dwarfs when they are bedridden with injury or (Armok forbid) the booze stockpile is empty. 

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50903 on: November 08, 2017, 06:13:57 am »

This ought to teach you the importance of a cistern with a well.  Even carnivores still need to drink water, to say nothing of dwarfs when they are bedridden with injury or (Armok forbid) the booze stockpile is empty. 

I had a well dug out, I was just waiting for that one dwarf to install a mechanism into a floodgate.
Priorities, I suppose.

Today I learned that water pressure can flood your fortress.
Tried to make a large underground lake (with grates on top to let people fish through it and make critters unable to get up through) but I messed up Z-levels a bit when digging its layout and it came back to get me.
This game is hellova fun. Retry and do better.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #50904 on: November 08, 2017, 10:03:53 am »

I had a well dug out, I was just waiting for that one dwarf to install a mechanism into a floodgate.
Priorities, I suppose.

Today I learned that water pressure can flood your fortress.
Tried to make a large underground lake (with grates on top to let people fish through it and make critters unable to get up through) but I messed up Z-levels a bit when digging its layout and it came back to get me.
This game is hellova fun. Retry and do better.
Ah the joy of watching a new player learn about dwarf fort. I remember my first game, had to learn how to makea military due to a werelizard.

Anyways a bit of a tip that I used when I made a cistern was that I had a room dug out and used a screw pump to pump stuff in, I also had an emergency flood channel near by connected to the cistern room via a flood gate so if it started to flood I can open it and it would drain water out of the fort.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50905 on: November 08, 2017, 12:42:33 pm »

Reminds me of when I lost a fort due to magma pressure, ah that was a wild one, a very dwarfy way to die, we made a volcano!

Brassorders had a Roc visit, went really well... Till I somehow forgot to lock this one door and it kinda got inside... Well five died, one lost a leg the mayor lost his right arm. Anyway, my cooks were ELATED with the 900 Urists of ROC MEAT! Also about 500+ tallow... Anyway... Roc meat roasts for all survivors!!!

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50906 on: November 08, 2017, 02:14:49 pm »

I have a habit of building my cisterns underneath my hospitals so that the hospitals have easy access to fresh water for cleaning wounds and hydrating recovering dwarves.  So since I started building my hospital zone, I had to start building a well, and a cistern, and an underground freshwater aqueduct, etc.  That alone is a significant undertaking, but because I am weirdly perfectionist about this kind of thing, I have to send haulers down into the excavation to remove loose stones.  I have to send stone engravers to smooth the walls and ceilings.  I have to send architects and masons to install paved roads over soil and stone block walls to clear dirt from around the aqueduct.  I need mechanics to install floodgates.  Further, because the aqueduct is two tiles wide and gets taller the further down it goes, I need an absurd amount of floor grates to make it accessible (for whatever reason) without impeding the flow of water. 

All because I wanted a well in a hospital. 

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50907 on: November 08, 2017, 02:31:26 pm »

I have a habit of building my cisterns underneath my hospitals so that the hospitals have easy access to fresh water for cleaning wounds and hydrating recovering dwarves.  So since I started building my hospital zone, I had to start building a well, and a cistern, and an underground freshwater aqueduct, etc.  That alone is a significant undertaking, but because I am weirdly perfectionist about this kind of thing, I have to send haulers down into the excavation to remove loose stones.  I have to send stone engravers to smooth the walls and ceilings.  I have to send architects and masons to install paved roads over soil and stone block walls to clear dirt from around the aqueduct.  I need mechanics to install floodgates.  Further, because the aqueduct is two tiles wide and gets taller the further down it goes, I need an absurd amount of floor grates to make it accessible (for whatever reason) without impeding the flow of water. 

All because I wanted a well in a hospital.

I do literally all of these things. Stay strong, perfect-waterway bro.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50908 on: November 08, 2017, 02:46:10 pm »

Well my fort has enough Roc KFC to put KFC out of business, hydra attacked and got a wonderful "No shit! Really?" moment: Hydra bit wrestler in the head, part sails off at an arch, wrestler falls unconscious... Took eight more lines for him to finally die.

As a side note: Imagine what a vomiting six headed hydra must look like in a confined space; the battle was underground.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:48:09 pm by vekar »

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #50909 on: November 08, 2017, 07:59:49 pm »

Well my fort has enough Roc KFC to put KFC out of business, hydra attacked and got a wonderful "No shit! Really?" moment: Hydra bit wrestler in the head, part sails off at an arch, wrestler falls unconscious... Took eight more lines for him to finally die.

As a side note: Imagine what a vomiting six headed hydra must look like in a confined space; the battle was underground.
If one slowly killed a hydra via flying discs or attacks to the head, could one farm food from it then?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!
Pages: 1 ... 3392 3393 [3394] 3395 3396 ... 3836