Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3395 3396 [3397] 3398 3399 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861608 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50940 on: November 15, 2017, 09:28:01 pm »

Just encountered a Forgotten Beast that was apparently friendly. I had believed that I had the caverns entirely walled off (which I typically do until I am confident they can be explored safely) until I got a notification that he had destroyed a willow door. Panicked, I zoomed to him on the map only to find that he was standing right next to my Legendary weaponsmith. I lingered at this sight with the game paused for a few moments before sighing and accepting defeat. After I unpaused, I noticed that not only was he not killing my weaponsmith, he wasn't killing anyone, nor was he destroying any more buildings. In fact, it seemed that he even opened one of the bedroom doors instead of simply bashing it down. I watched him for a little while as my dwarves just casually passed on by as if this was any given day for them, but eventually decided that I was probably living on borrowed time; I stationed my military squad near him to see if they would attack him automatically, which they did. I told my brother about it and he asked if the FB even fought back. I checked the combat logs and I didn't find any indication that it did. So I may very well have slaughtered the one pacifist Forgotten Beast in existence.

NOOOO you could of caught it in a cage and tamed it, imagine sicing a FORGOTTEN BEAST on goblins that come to attack you
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50941 on: November 16, 2017, 11:41:22 am »

That's only possible for non-pacifist FBs, though.

Did the dwarves satisfy their animal voyeurism needs from being near to FB? Though....

I guess the best use pacifist fb has might be separating mercs from other visitors.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50942 on: November 16, 2017, 05:48:14 pm »

One of my first year migrants turned out to be a werebeast. Only they died it seems, but they bit several people. This cant end well
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50943 on: November 16, 2017, 07:09:39 pm »

One of my first year migrants turned out to be a werebeast. Only they died it seems, but they bit several people. This cant end well
This is a bug, isn't it? I've seen only one other report of it, and that was with a child, whose familial status presumably overrode the code for fleeing to a lair.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50944 on: November 16, 2017, 07:20:16 pm »

Training giant army of dogs i have like 15 puppies and 8 or so dogs.Plus my tavern is being smoothed out its so big that it's the biggest zone size possible.   

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50945 on: November 17, 2017, 12:00:47 am »

Does anyone know if dwarven babies eat/drink autonomously?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50946 on: November 17, 2017, 06:05:22 am »

Does anyone know if dwarven babies eat/drink autonomously?

They can't, sorry. Unless you get a migration wave before he dies of thirst I'm guessing that will be it. What happened?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50947 on: November 17, 2017, 08:38:20 am »

He might grow into a child before dying of thirst.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50948 on: November 17, 2017, 09:22:37 am »

Babies become children when they're one year old. You can see the age and date of birth of dwarves in their preferences screen.

Could be interesting playing a hermit fort with a child*. The kid growing up in the company of ghosts. (Then a megabeast comes, knocks out the doors and paints the walls with the kid...) You can lock the immigrants out, right? And have enough booze and food to last 12 years? :)

* Reminds me of the end of Boatmurdered...

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50949 on: November 17, 2017, 09:33:27 am »

I've made some changes to the raws (making dwarves actually tantrum by adding    
Code: [Select]
[PERSONALITY:DEPRESSION_PROPENSITY:100:100:100]
[PERSONALITY:ANGER_PROPENSITY:100:100:100]
[PERSONALITY:ANXIETY_PROPENSITY:100:100:100]
[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:100:100:100]
)

So I found a world with a desert that has an aquifer, and built this:

Essentially, the dwarves live off of quarry bush leaf biscuits and aquifer water.
That horse you see there, we replaced the wall with a fortification, and once it died the miasma spread.

We also  had all the migrants die, and put their bodies down here to make more miasma and bad thoughts.
We tried to make a thing and the surface, but them tore it down, and it collapsed, killing two.
Then we spiral into tantrums and stress. With only four left, (both parents, one other dwarf, and the baby) We tried to attack the liason to get him out, and he killed both the parents. We didn't get any migrants that spring, and when summer came the two ghosts from the original two that died batter the one remaining adult (not a parent) to death. The kid was born in slate, so he wouldn't have grown up in time.

We had plenty of quarry bush leaf biscuits and drink, but I unpaused it and he died after not too long.
We didn't get any migrants that summer either.

EDIT:

Here is the fort at the end.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:17:34 am by ☼Another☼ »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #50950 on: November 17, 2017, 10:00:58 am »

I've been now under siege from an undead swarm for almost two years. My military is steadily training and getting better, but still not good enough to engage. While I have access to magma, it's awkwardly placed, so my melting working activities are dependent on charcoal. After extensively exploring the caverns via poking holes in the surface, I decided to engage in a risky logging operation in the third cavern layer as it's the only one without water.

By using defend burrows, my military actively hunted down anything as a threat to my loggers, and I successfully recovered about 200 logs which will last me a fair bit a time.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50951 on: November 17, 2017, 11:29:46 am »

Embarked in a savage tropical swamp with an aquifer, because for some reason I thought that it would be a good idea.  Upon embark, I noticed my group's symbol was named "The Oily Virgin".

Guess we're fucked.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50952 on: November 17, 2017, 05:58:50 pm »

This is a bug, isn't it? I've seen only one other report of it, and that was with a child, whose familial status presumably overrode the code for fleeing to a lair.

Given that it's rare, I guess it's not a bug.  Migrants can be attacked by a werebeast en route. 

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50953 on: November 17, 2017, 07:11:54 pm »

Embarked in a savage tropical swamp with an aquifer, because for some reason I thought that it would be a good idea.  Upon embark, I noticed my group's symbol was named "The Oily Virgin".

Guess we're fucked.
Meanwhile, over at the nearby fort of Boatroads, a diplomat appeared with news from the Mountain Home... "The king of the Mountain Home proudly rebuffed the elven demand for war reparations during private council with the elves. He also has sent seven dissidents to establish a new outpost near the elven lands. Their group is named the Oily Virgin and they are expected to arrive in late winter." Oddly, the elven bards of Boatroads left suddenly, speaking of their interest in attending the great feasts their homeland has planned for the breaking of this winter.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50954 on: November 17, 2017, 07:54:46 pm »

Given that it's rare, I guess it's not a bug.  Migrants can be attacked by a werebeast en route.

In a similar report that I remember, it was a case of the dwarven liaison who had been infected in a previous fort: new werebeasts auto-flee from NPC locales but not player forts. Any cursed who remain at the time of abandonment or retirement are still civ members available for migration. (I'm not sure about being attacked en route.)
Pages: 1 ... 3395 3396 [3397] 3398 3399 ... 3836