Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3397 3398 [3399] 3400 3401 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856925 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50970 on: November 23, 2017, 08:12:59 pm »

I've set a squad to recover an artifact (as raiding turns out to be very disappointing - there's no burning and pillaging, just rummaging through people's stuff and skulking around.)

The artifact is "The Speaker of Oblivion." An artifact iron short sword, decorated with cow bone, pig hoof, and yeti bone (the latter of which depicts vines.) I want that fucking sword just for the name, and it's only a day's march away.

A giant also showed up, and was promptly slain in single combat by the former expedition leader Stodir with his battleaxe. But I'm less excited about that.

EDIT: Raid went south. nobody was killed, but an elf (!) was injured and three of the five man team were captured.

EDIT II: Gonna back burner this fort. Looks like it'll take an army to get that sword. And I need to do some raw file fiddling.

EDIT III: A new fort has been set up, with some mods done - Dwarven nobles now lead thier own honor guard units into battle, and are lead by a High King or Queen, with minor Kings/Queens ruling the most developed holds besides the capital, and the inclusion of Stal's Armory. Combat will be even more vicious now.

But, Relicseized may be destined for other things - silver is in abundance under the site, and the lake strangely has no aquifers around it, making for easy aquisition; a vast amount of silver is sure to be exported come autumn.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50971 on: November 24, 2017, 12:18:07 pm »

A monster hunter that showed up just became the lady of the Beautiful Band, he government of some hamlet of ~50 people. If she decides to become a citizen, I might send her to raid there, just for fun.

MnemonicMorg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50972 on: November 24, 2017, 06:39:19 pm »

First time posting. Still struggling with mechanics

I started out in the desert. There's soil so my dwarves ain't dying of thirst, but no water. not in the caverns or the other caverns even deeper below. Just had to lock up the floor hatch leading to them after a dwarf got a wound fighting off a giant olm. Since there is no water, the dwarf is left to just die of dehydration in the hospital, her wounds slowly getting infected. The butcher looking hospital is comprised of just two blood stained beds. the dwarves are probably well aware by now that if you find yourself laying on them, you're already dead. I'm thinking of disassembling them so they (ironically) might stand a chance if they get can crawl to get their own booze. Thoughts?

There's also no trees, which made the caverns fungiwood amazing, but ultimately too hard to get, as I learned the hard way

Also there's been 4 humans applying for citizenship,all granted, 3 of which are bards. working on adding instruments in my tavern, where they squat all day long. There's about 3 more humans just visiting so the place is packed. and since I'm attracting no migrants for 2 seasons now, and 2 of my dwarves died in the hospital, i'm looking to having a mostly human settlement sometime soon
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:41:26 pm by MnemonicMorg »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50973 on: November 24, 2017, 06:54:30 pm »

...Since there is no water, the dwarf is left to just die of dehydration in the hospital, her wounds slowly getting infected. The grim looking hospital is comprised of just two blood stained beds. the dwarves are probably well aware by now that if you find yourself laying on them, you're basically dead already. I'm thinking of disassembling them so they might stand a chance if they get can crawl to get their own booze. Thoughts?
Disassembling the bed will not be enough, they will still Rest in the hospital zone. Removing or de-activating the hospital zone might force them out of Rest mode and then they might crawl to the booze.

For the caverns, explore any large areas of unknown. Sometimes a cavern layer has part land, part water, and maybe there is water out of sight. Just assign a dig designation to a tile near any large unexplored areas and a miner will run from tile to tile and reveal the areas. But maybe send a military dwarf with an axe to kill the giant olm first.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #50974 on: November 24, 2017, 07:04:53 pm »

A monster hunter that showed up just became the lady of the Beautiful Band, he government of some hamlet of ~50 people. If she decides to become a citizen, I might send her to raid there, just for fun.

Please keep us informed about this. He he he...

In other news, it's about time that I start a fort in the new version. I've only been doing adventure-mode stuff.

EDIT: I got an elf poet visitor within thirty seconds of starting the new fortress. A spy, maybe? I checked her inventory. This elf 'poet' is carrying a sword. In quick succession, I also got an elf monster slayer, scholar, another monster slayer, and another scholar...oh, and a peddler. Every one of them is armed.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 07:38:15 pm by Eschar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50975 on: November 24, 2017, 07:28:59 pm »

Finally some crafting production is underway, and the militia is clad in full iron more or less (They still need thier training leather armor, since I need to somewhat ration my iron until next autumn,) made from the stuff I brought, and with a tiny bit to spare. As shields made of wood are now monstrously flimsy (not helped by thier use as blunt instruments,) I have however been forced to equip my one-handed fighters with copper shields - Two kites, one tower. My fourth soldier, Ral the former merchant, is packing a two-handed bardiche and so doesn't need such a piece of gear.

Proper food storage has been carved out, and a space for future workshops to prepare more food and drink in, and a dining room has been hollowed and its main entrance fitted with silver bars between two silver doors. Silver doors have also been fitted to the keep's entrances, and a silver gate built, though we lack a full wall. There's also a hollowed out space of a hospital, only lacking a mechanism for the silver chain, block, and bucket for its well.

Did I mention we have lots of silver? Cause I'm tempted to start putting silver plate floors into everyone's bedrooms once production goes full capacity.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #50976 on: November 25, 2017, 12:14:01 pm »

Twenty-five visitors. There are twenty-five visitors in my not-even-one-day-old fortress. They better not eat or drink anything.

Wait...no, that would mean they're vampires.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50977 on: November 25, 2017, 12:32:31 pm »

Twenty-five visitors. There are twenty-five visitors in my not-even-one-day-old fortress. They better not eat or drink anything.

There are more than a hundred in mine. Did anyone got any petitions? Though I'm flooding with visitors I didnt got a single one.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #50978 on: November 25, 2017, 12:35:35 pm »

There are more than a hundred in mine. Did anyone got any petitions? Though I'm flooding with visitors I didnt got a single one.

Maybe they're spies. All of my visitors are armed, including the peddlers and bards. I have no army yet, naturally.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #50979 on: November 25, 2017, 12:51:52 pm »

4 visitors, all monster hunters that didn't showed up as monster hunters, and made petitions. All have skills like "competent swordsman, novice everything else, great gem setter", impossible to assign them to squad. In 2 years before joining the fort they will forgot that little they knew.  ::) Do they even do anything now?

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50980 on: November 25, 2017, 01:16:10 pm »

alright new update

1st embark: forgot i built a bridge for an air lock and brewed all the alcohol and everyone died of thirst.

2nd embark: didn't expect gobbos to be at the site. you'd think the two visiting squads from neighboring sites would help out.

3rd embark: everyone's doing alright; kinda wish the two previous embarks' belongings weren't scattered everywhere killing my fps.

three raids to acquire gobbo artifacts have been unsuccessful; need to wait for my squads to be outfitted with metal next time
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 01:37:38 pm by Ggobs »
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #50981 on: November 25, 2017, 01:19:06 pm »

An unarmed, untrained, eighty-year-old fisherdwarf just punched a rattlesnake to death. She then calmly started fishing in the same pond she had smacked the snake into.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50982 on: November 25, 2017, 01:34:54 pm »

Saw a migrant whose job title was "Peddler".

His skills were military only.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #50983 on: November 25, 2017, 01:36:51 pm »

I've been getting a lot of those. They're armed, too. I wonder if they're spies.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50984 on: November 25, 2017, 05:43:51 pm »

I've been getting a lot of those. They're armed, too. I wonder if they're spies.

Don't think migrants can be spies yet, but I might be wrong.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 3397 3398 [3399] 3400 3401 ... 3836