Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3404 3405 [3406] 3407 3408 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858757 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51075 on: December 01, 2017, 07:10:23 am »

Lock yourself inside
That's lame though. If this fort is to die, then I'd rather everyone be drafted into the military and go out fighting.

LordFreezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51076 on: December 01, 2017, 07:28:52 am »

Let's see:
-The fortress "Laborsand" is into its second Autumn.

-Current population is fifty-two Citizens.  Fifty Adults, one child and one infant.  All Dwarfs.

-Military currently sits at five Axedwarfs and one Axe Lord.  All possess helms and axes, while some possess additional equipment.

-Very little mining has been done, the fortress has only reached the fourth layer.

-Only four workshops (smelter, glass furnace, metalsmith's forge, wood furnace) and some farms are located below ground.  There is also a reasonably large vault for storing masterworks and artifacts.  The vault has only one access point, a golden bridge which is to remain raised unless treasures are being transferred to the vault.

-The food stockpile, food working area (fishery, kitchen etc), barracks, dormitory and dining room are located above ground in a large, Birchen log building across two levels.

-Every other workshop is outside at the moment.

-A dolomite building is almost complete, it just needs a few more blocks carved to make the ceiling.  Once complete it will serve as the library and will be filled with furnishings made of walnut wood.

-Access to the library will be restricted to members of the fortress.  A library for non-citizens will be considered further down the track.

-The dwarfs will need to be screened to find a suitable candidate for scholarly position in the library.

-Plans are being made for a building made of jet or bauxite which will serve as the hospital.

-Plans of levelling the surrounding hills so that walls may be constructed are under consideration.

-The only notable creature belonging to the fort is a giant wolf, purchased from the elves.

-One artifact has been produced by the fortress, Dubmenniral, The Taciturn Portent, a jet amulet.

-Two Necromancers have intruded upon the boundaries of the fortress twice now, in retaliation the military has raided their nearby tower four times, acquiring several reasonable quality codicies.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #51077 on: December 01, 2017, 09:55:43 am »

Lock yourself inside
That's lame though. If this fort is to die, then I'd rather everyone be drafted into the military and go out fighting.
go out like boatmurdered, flood the world with magma (I guess it's lava at that point)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #51078 on: December 01, 2017, 11:26:55 am »

Maybe it's a very large ring.

I distinctly remember a baby getting murdered and then turned into a pick axe.

The quote that came with his comment was something like “HOW DO YOU GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICK AXE?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51079 on: December 01, 2017, 02:58:22 pm »

o.0

kid.

what did...

WHAT?

four Orange Wood Logs. Nickel Bars. like 3 things of Leather. 16 bones. Pig Iron. Goshenite (gem).

for a RING?

I

I don't

how.....did you cram all that stuff into a tiny little ring?
Never underestimate the physics-bending ability of moody dwarves.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #51080 on: December 01, 2017, 06:14:25 pm »

o.0

kid.

what did...

WHAT?

four Orange Wood Logs. Nickel Bars. like 3 things of Leather. 16 bones. Pig Iron. Goshenite (gem).

for a RING?

I

I don't

how.....did you cram all that stuff into a tiny little ring?
Never underestimate the physics-bending ability of moody dwarves.

As I recall, a dwarf once Packed as many masterwork images as he could into one Plane...

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51081 on: December 01, 2017, 06:52:52 pm »

Already at my third 44.02 fort, after the first two became unplayable early on due to stutters, whose jury is still out on the cause. Performance concerns led me to a nice find: the convenience of playing small regions!

Xemramul, the Mythical Planes. Year 399. The Bearded Dunes, a temperate-ish, flat, arid, utterly vegetationless rocky wasteland, are home to the outpost Ananumid, founded by the last dwarves of the Ordered Diamonds. The last, or rather the first to be seen after quite a long time. Three centuries and half since anyone has seen a dwarf around, to be exact.

The Ordered Diamonds were dealt a bad hand to begin with; very little neutral mountain space available, and aggressive, expansionist, prolific elven and goblin neighbors. It was only a matter of time before they would be surrounded, relentlessly attacked from two fronts, and driven to extinction. (Note, the humans expanded in the surrounding lands long after the fall of the dwarves. Oh, that adjacent dark fortress, and the other not too distant? Thriving, each with 10k goblins.)
The war against the elves and the goblins is still ongoing, mostly because there were no defenders left around to negotiate an end.
Rationalizing the dwarves' sudden reappearance as the descendants of a secluded pocket of survivors deep within the mountains.

Spoiler: The embark (click to show/hide)

In spite of looking so lifeless and desolate, the dunes are quite the rich land, especially the area chosen by the mysterious seven settlers. Deep soil sporting sand and clay, abundance of flux and weapons-grade metals, and a conveniently color-coded aquifer-bearing corner of the map, for a safe water source.

Wagon deconstructed as soon as the game was unpaused, to prevent curious folks from snooping around. But, what's this? Not even three days since the settling of the outpost, that 'Dumat Cattenonam', elf bard, is visiting. Yeah, nice name there, totally elven. I can hear him mispronounce it. How brazen. How insulting! Is he trying to pass himself for a dwarf? Or a culturally dwarven elf, when our civ never influenced any of their settlements? Are we supposed to believe they spontaneously adopted our culture from our ruins? A dwarfaboo would have at least bothered to show up with a wooden axe, maybe hair tied under the face to simulate a beard, certainly not with a wood bow like the one he's carrying. Do pray tell, what do bards do with bows in their performances-

Spoiler: Hi there! (click to show/hide)

What? "Doren Eribasol", elf poet, just the day after. I see, she has a bow too. So dwarven.
I probably just wasn't fast enough in deconstructing the wagon; it worked in my past 0.44 forts to prevent unwanted visitors, I guess this time no dice. No meeting zone yet, so everyone is spreading out while the miner carves in the soil a shelter and farmspace. And if I designate a meeting zone it may attract these blatant spies. Gotta craft a door or a hatch as the bare minimum to have some barrier with the exterior.

A month has quickly passed. Secured plantations and basic accomodations, herded the livestock inside, built a depot, dug to the caverns to feed our lambs; hastily cobbled together a clay hut to cover the entrance to the fort ... looking more like a sort of pithouse than a fort so far, but functional enough. A bridge is in the plans.

Mid-spring, "Tun Egullogem", elf peddler. A peddler with no wares, but carrying a spear and a shield. If these elves weren't openly carrying I could have even believed the incredible stretch that they were translating their names in Dwarven for us. Who knows, in three centuries of no contact Dwarven may have become the fashionable dead language everyone wants to learn.

Couple of days later, "Kol Sheriksolon", elf beast hunter. Finally someone with a plausible reason to carry a bow. I have even half a mind to recruit him when the fort is a bit more estabilished, to see if he's gonna keep up the charade or switch allegiance when pushes come to shoves. Who knows if something like that is even coded in first place.

Ten days later, "Kikrost Murakducim", elf poet with a bow, of course.
Word spreading? Are they here for sightseeing, like some kind of zoo? Really, is this the first time they see a dwarf? With elves being immortal and all perhaps they were even involved in the slaughters of three centuries ago. Just to think about it-
Wait a second.

They are closing in.

The Trio from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly OST starts playing out of nowhere.
In almost a decade of playing this game, with all the crazy stuff it throws at you, I've never felt so threatened.

I love it.

And yes, I'm aware it's only a bug, or at best one of those both-bug-and-feature things. I know it would be trivial to lock the hatch and wall off the stairs until migrants come. I realize it's all in my head, that these elves almost assuredly aren't coded to attack. Spies probably aren't opportunistic assassins and are only interested in gathering data.

But they could snuff out the dwarven threat so easily. It's like one of those ambushes of old, except exploiting the duties of hospitality.
Four archers and a spearelf, versus six combat-untrained civilians and a miner; almost zero chance to withstand, even if the miner somehow entered a martial trance enraged. It would be such a bastard rotten thing to do, perhaps even allowed since we're officially still at war.
It's subtle, it's not the fact that they're currently milling about outside that is unnerving, per se. It's the fact they showed up in first place. They know.
So close to making the dwarves extinct a second time.

I lock the hatch.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51082 on: December 01, 2017, 07:08:59 pm »

And then there's just me, sad that the glitch doesn't trigger when I do it

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51083 on: December 01, 2017, 07:26:53 pm »

Several months after opening up the caverns and unusually, my current fortress has attracted a grand total of zero monster slayers. What we do have are hunters chasing Elk Birds around the tavern, blind cave ogres groping their around the bedrooms destroying all they discover and the occasional charge into the caverns by my vengeful woodcutter looking for just one more crundle kill.

It's a lot of fun. So long as the wildlife and the abhorrent filth raining outside don't cause too much stress (not likely in this version, even with my cowardly, prone-to-stress wild dwarves) we should be OK.

Got one squad outside looking for some legendary steel greaves at the local dark fortress. They've not been seen in a while.

Population so far fairly reasonable. Visitors fairly stable at about 50 (lots come, but lots leave too) and about 30 dwarves.

Civilisation map shows hundreds of armies marching all over the place. Better build a military soon. :)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51084 on: December 01, 2017, 08:30:34 pm »

Baron in place. Accommodations for the monarch are also underway, and I've resolved to import gold to make statues of every monarch the civ has had, since I can copy the save and use legends to find out who was who (I only know of High King Udil Bronzecity who was from well over a century ago, and the current High King.)

Limul the Weresergeant is doing well, more or less. She's managed to get a bit of food and rocks together, and being immortal now means eventually she could potentially get her own grand palace together! Or just bide her time in relative comfort before the militia eventually brutalizes her.

Or a forgotten beast.

Or some other horrible thing.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51085 on: December 01, 2017, 08:34:24 pm »

A second Forgotten Beast has come. Another webspitter. We are preparing accomodations for our guest, and trying to figure out where we want our Forgotten Beast zoo. We do eventually want to capture all 27 of them.

It may be fun, purely for the Hell of it, to breach the single, SOLID, adamantine spire that we have mined out completely (barring the howling from underneath the lowest level of the spire), and see how the clowns deal with a series of 27 Forgotten Beasts.

:D

This......is my goal now.

Archcrystal may have conquered the HFS with dragons, but I intend to conquer it with the power of Forgotten Beasts! I will not tame them, but I WILL weaponize them.

.......and if any of the Forgotten Beasts survive, we shall recapture them and build a zoo to the gods in the HFS itself!!!!

In the meantime, Fath has given birth to ANOTHER child (a boy this time). We are still preparing the Baby-Making Vault. It has....grown quite a bit in scale since its inception. There are now channels being built to allow cavern trees to grow 3 Z-levels high, plenty of moss for grazers, we are clearing space to store all the birds in the vault, as well as the prime War animals (at this point limited entirely to War Dogs), and other non-grazing pets. (Fath being our Butcher, Tanner, Leatherworker, and Bone Crafter, and her husband Melbil our Brewer).

The Fath/Melbil clan has risen to 5 children (3 daughters, 2 sons). I have to say, I would prefer more daughters, since the sons are only useful for marrying off and producing more offspring. Our fort is a matriarchal community, from Zutthan Roughnessinched (Legendary Weaponsmith and Great Metal Crafter--I NEED to use those Lead bars from Galena/Tetrahedrite on something) on down.

EDIT: 249 Raw Adamantine stones, all needing to be processed. woo.

EDIT:

Baby #3 for Onul and Kib! All daughters.

EXCELLENT.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:57:44 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51086 on: December 01, 2017, 09:30:18 pm »

I never did make that Golden Salve...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51087 on: December 01, 2017, 09:37:40 pm »

I never did make that Golden Salve...

It may not mean the same now, but it's still doable.

Make the salve.

Do it.

shikushiku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51088 on: December 02, 2017, 03:33:45 am »

A rare instance of a tantrum-throwing dwarf with an excuse:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile