Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3407 3408 [3409] 3410 3411 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5853571 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51120 on: December 05, 2017, 07:01:27 am »

After 30 goblins met my legendary cuisinarts, a kea tried to steal the star-ruby bound original text "The Pits the Easy Way".  The trees in the area are still dripping with bits of kea; the book is safely back in the library.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51121 on: December 05, 2017, 11:58:02 am »

I finally got a working magma minecart elevator up and running. I tried to idiot-proof the accesses so dwarves wouldn't have any reason to climb in randomly.

Emphasis on tried.

I need the shematics of that thing, seems very... promising... *strolls away grinning madly*

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51122 on: December 05, 2017, 06:22:35 pm »

Yay. Captured and tamed two breeding pairs of rutherers. One of the best meat animals in game, they weigh up to 3 tons, and don't eat food. Takes them a few years though to get to max size.

What's even better, still no hordes of visitors for this fortress, although I have yet to designate a tavern / temple / library. Just a handful of monster hunters ever since I broke open the caves.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51123 on: December 05, 2017, 10:27:54 pm »

Yay. Captured and tamed two breeding pairs of rutherers. One of the best meat animals in game, they weigh up to 3 tons, and don't eat food. Takes them a few years though to get to max size.

What's even better, still no hordes of visitors for this fortress, although I have yet to designate a tavern / temple / library. Just a handful of monster hunters ever since I broke open the caves.
That's great. They're really handy.
No monster hunters at all in my current game just a steady stream of artifact hunters. The cavern creatures running around the tavern being chased by hunters covered in abhorrent filth seems to be encouraging them to move on before they build up too much.

Also no metal anywhere. So far, so Fun.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51124 on: December 05, 2017, 10:31:01 pm »

A siege comes, and I made the mistake of sending all of my men out in one blob. While the trolls fell in seconds, and the troops are advancing on the main body of the goblin force (that prior to detrollifcation numbered well over 120 fighters,) there is now an open gate and naught but civilians between a significantly smaller force of goblins who broke off to chase a llama while the Silver Doors, Walls, and Bolts charge the main body, beak dogs going down left and right as this force came unmounted.

I predict casualties among the civilians.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51125 on: December 05, 2017, 10:50:23 pm »

I take it that it's too late to order the gates closed?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51126 on: December 05, 2017, 11:23:24 pm »

I could, but several civvies would still get trapped outside, or possibly squashed into the ceiling, because the suicidal bearded lemmings instantly rushed upwards to refill the wood stores.

And I hate having coffins with no corpses to put in them.

shikushiku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51127 on: December 06, 2017, 03:19:28 am »

I finally got a working magma minecart elevator up and running. I tried to idiot-proof the accesses so dwarves wouldn't have any reason to climb in randomly.

Emphasis on tried.

I need the shematics of that thing, seems very... promising... *strolls away grinning madly*
I tried to make a simple winding ramp that dwarves could guide carts up after they got filled with magma, to do things "legitimately", but that didn't work out so I went with one of the impulse ramp elevators from the wiki, which obviously has far more potential for !!fun!!. This actually happened on the return trip though, which is more or less a straight drop down, except for a slight detour near the top where it needs to go to the side and then back to go around my magma reservoir. Those parts have regular ramps from above and a couple impulse ramps to accelerate them for good measure.

Did I mention I have like 7 carts going through the system at any time now? I should probably mention that. Thus, the stupid poor dwarf who found their way into the path found themselves hit with hundreds of kilograms of metal accelerated at the speed of a couple ramps, repeatedly in quick succession, until the third one blew their head wide open because DF does stuff like that.

If you wanna weaponize that, I'm pretty sure there's designs for minecart 'rail'guns out there, and appropriate use of impulse ramps should make it easy to have a cart going at obscene speeds on an automated loop in a compact design.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51128 on: December 06, 2017, 02:43:24 pm »

A yes, that was the small problem with Rutherer breeding. They don't have a baby stage, they are born as rutherer child, so you can't get them to tame status.
Ah well, good training for my animal trainers I guess, I'll just have to keep the population in check a bit to allow the trainers some free time.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51129 on: December 06, 2017, 03:53:39 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

...and immediately left.  Ok then.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51130 on: December 06, 2017, 04:13:44 pm »

A yes, that was the small problem with Rutherer breeding. They don't have a baby stage, they are born as rutherer child, so you can't get them to tame status.
Ah well, good training for my animal trainers I guess, I'll just have to keep the population in check a bit to allow the trainers some free time.

OOOOH I was wrong. I have two rutherer child (tame) in my animal screen now. I guess my animal trainers were just slow.

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51131 on: December 06, 2017, 06:55:41 pm »

Up to 50 dwarfs now after an upward adjustment to the population limit. Hopefully work will get done a bit more quickly now... We're now a barony and also have our first elected mayor who naturally immediately demanded the creation of crowns.

We still have 14 of the original 50 dwarven visitors loitering around in our tavern despite having disallowed visitors quite a few years ago. Fortunately there have been no more alcohol fueled blood soaked ragefest since the barkeep had cut them off from our booze supply.

The fortress also got its first visit from a wereass but it quickly transformed and ran off the map edge before our squad had even exited the front gate.

On a happier note, work has begun on a pipeline and water reservoir so hopefully the dwarfs of Hammerglow will have a safe and clean supply of water. And next up is to breach the lava sea...

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51132 on: December 06, 2017, 08:37:58 pm »

Started up a game on the latest version of the LNP, and this fort is strange. One of my masons likes to occasionally get enraged at everything for no reason, which was odd but I shrugged it off initially. Then something weird happened.

After completely forgetting about a higher layer of cliff, one of my miners accidentally causes a surface 'cave in' when I was flattening out the land. He gets beaten up to the point one of his legs is utterly destroyed because the cliff had logs on it and falling logs are a dangerous, dangerous weapon. A very hastily appointed dwarf and a hospital zone made later, and he's in bed getting fixed up.

While my newly appointed carer dwarf is fixing up his injuries, the mason enrages as he does. But this time, FOR SOME REASON, he attacks my carer dwarf? And a couple of others join in, along with the outpost liason who's been loitering in the dining hall after the caravans left awhile ago. There's a scuffle for awhile, until the mason calms his butt down, and now I have four dwarves in the hospital for. Some reason. I'm still not entirely sure what happened there...

Then a were-something showed up and killed one of my dwarves and a few animals. Luckily, elven merchants made a good distraction until it turned back. I need to get around to making a military...
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51133 on: December 06, 2017, 10:22:16 pm »

Heh, I never knew that glass vials could be used as military drink holding equipment.
My glassmaker went fey and made an artefact green glass vial. Now my newly appointed captain has equipped it and filled it with wine. Cool.

EDIT: Damn, in other news, the abuse continues. Expedition leader kicked his lover into hospital, again. They are still lovers, I don't want to imagine what he'll do to her once they are married.
The good news is that she has been surviving the infection of her head fat from the previous abuse for 3 years now. Her new treatment will include soap this time.

EDIT: oh hey, her infection is gone. Nvm it is back, it only disappeared from the health screen for a split second after she was diagnosed, but before she was sutured.
Odd thing is, she wasn't injured to her head fat this time, just the leg.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:04:32 pm by martinuzz »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51134 on: December 07, 2017, 01:53:34 am »

There's a slowly growing pile of quadriplegic goblins on my front lawn.
Pages: 1 ... 3407 3408 [3409] 3410 3411 ... 3836