Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3408 3409 [3410] 3411 3412 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858618 times)

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51135 on: December 07, 2017, 02:37:48 am »

I am currently working on learning the Military interface and managing squads.
It is quite complex. So far I have successfully managed have two squads train together, with periods of active/inactive behavior and I have even managed to successfully take down a cyclops! It was standing in the corner of my 3x3 embark zone for some reason..

Speaking of reasons, is there any particular reason why my squad when off-duty chill out the barracks?
Also speaking of particular reasons, currently none of my military peeps got any sort of profession going for them. Should I give them something to do off-duty or are letting them do whatevs they want in the tavern/temple/meeting hall enough to keep them satisfied?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51136 on: December 07, 2017, 03:15:07 am »

Depends on thier needs. Giving them a crafting job to do when they're off duty helps keep them focused.

In other news, the siege was beaten, but not without losses.

One enterprising goblin beat a mnarksdwarf to a pulp after scaling the wall and slipping in the guard house, while our Warrior Poet Amsir (An assumed name, as her true name was revealed to be Mosus upon her demise,) fell distracting the enemy from the squishy civvies as they fled into the fortress, killing two goblins and a number of beak dogs and seriously injuring a half dozen other enemies before more beak dogs dragged her down, and the enemy fighters laid into her hobbled and prone body, while Axelord Rakust had his knee broken by a particularly hard hit from a silver two-handed sword.

Amsir's killers didn't escape with the bulk of the enemy survivors (who, after the main body was dispatched in an orgy of tracheotomies and beheadings, beat a hasty retreat,) due to the actions of a single brave, level 4 swordsdwarf named Olin who held her own and even killed several of the 8 attackers who had laid Amsir low.

She charged forward and slew a single troll, and in the enemy's bid to escape, they came running right into her as she had yanked her sword free of the troll's face. A trance and three kills later, and the rest of the militia fell on the murderers like the fist of an angry god and literally tore them apart.

All the while, a marksdwarf managed to somehow not get bent into a knot by a troll in melee combat and came away minus only some teeth and some bruises when another soldier bashed the troll's brains in (after the ranger had knocked them down with a successful shot with her crossbow.)

In all, considering the only other losses were picket animals who were only there to die anyway, and that my men were hideously outnumbered, this could have gone waaaaaaaay worse.

Rest well Amsir, whomever you served before matters not, for you shall be entombed with honor in our halls. Onget Copperclans, a strong lad of but 12 years who wishes to be seen as a legendary warrior, and has been given your sword that he may carry on slaughtering the High King's foes in your stead.

Now to begin the laborious task of cleaning up the corpses and slaughtering dead beak dogs.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51137 on: December 07, 2017, 03:37:28 pm »

I spent a good hour hand-picking my embark setting and assigning labors for Lonelymines, my pop-cap-zero seven-dwarves-only fortress. They were all slaughtered mercilessly in the first week by a herd of reindeer corpses, before the first migrant wave would've even been scheduled to arrive. It turns out undead animals can walk down stairs. Fun!
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51138 on: December 07, 2017, 05:18:47 pm »

I spent a good hour hand-picking my embark setting and assigning labors for Lonelymines, my pop-cap-zero seven-dwarves-only fortress. They were all slaughtered mercilessly in the first week by a herd of reindeer corpses, before the first migrant wave would've even been scheduled to arrive. It turns out undead animals can walk down stairs. Fun!

What on earth made you think they couldn't walk down a flight of stairs?  ???

In Relicseized news, a werelizard attacked during cleanup and to my astonishment, the lemmings didn't try to swarm it and get mauled, but one marksdwarf suffered from skin breaking bites (his armor encumbered him just enough to prevent his escape and protected him enough to keep the lizard from killing him.) And because the CMD decided to actually do his job, he was patched up before I could lock him in the hospital.

The werelizard was killed in two strikes by the first soldier to arrive after these injuries.

The infectee has been made a sergeant, stripped of his gear, assigned a small grave, and ordered into an empty silver vein and shut in. The militia will have to deal with him come the next full moon.  I can' have crazed killers among my civilians.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51139 on: December 07, 2017, 05:26:25 pm »

What on earth made you think they couldn't walk down a flight of stairs?  ???

Hubris.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51140 on: December 07, 2017, 10:02:57 pm »

my fortress has fallen after only a year, but not from the elves or goblins I was at war at, but instead by plumbing problems that caused a nearby river to flood my fortress....
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51141 on: December 08, 2017, 02:17:32 am »

my fortress has fallen after only a year, but not from the elves or goblins I was at war at, but instead by plumbing problems that caused a nearby river to flood my fortress....
That's a familiar experience.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51142 on: December 08, 2017, 02:19:09 am »

Water always wins...
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51143 on: December 08, 2017, 06:13:34 am »

Geesh. Why. Why do those two lovers keep fighting? Expedition leader tore his lover's ankle muscles, again, putting her in hospital. That's 3 times.
They don't have a grudge, their's lovers ffs. They are also both starting 7 founders.

Did Toady secretly add extreme BDSM?

EDIT: dayum, he even broke her toe this time, she needs setting.

EDIT: Oh my, I have been blaming the wrong dwarf. I'm not one to victim blame, but in this case it's really not his fault for beating her up, she asks for it. Now she was hosptalized by a visiting bard.
After checking her preferences: "She would never pass up a chance for a good fistfight". "She seeks out exciting and adventurous situations". "She doesn't mind a little discord and tumult in day-to-day living".

I guess she loves to brawl, and sucks at dodging.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:55:55 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51144 on: December 08, 2017, 11:03:23 am »

I'm trying an idea I had for keeping my dwarfs from becoming cave adapted. I channeled a 4x4 shaft from the surface 4-6 levels down to the hallway that leads to my great dining hall, and food being stored/eaten can only be accessed through the great dining hall, which only has the one hallway as an entry point. So all dwarfs should routinely be exposed to sunlight walking through the hallway. I've built a wall around the hole on the surface, trying to decide how many levels up it should be to really dissuade climbers as they will need to fall down many levels to enter the fort through the shaft.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51145 on: December 08, 2017, 01:30:20 pm »

A Tick Woman monster hunter just showed up at my fort.  She's wielding a great axe and four shields :o
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51146 on: December 08, 2017, 02:05:52 pm »

Yeah, tick people have six arms. Two of them are holding the great axe.
I'm trying an idea I had for keeping my dwarfs from becoming cave adapted. I channeled a 4x4 shaft from the surface 4-6 levels down to the hallway that leads to my great dining hall, and food being stored/eaten can only be accessed through the great dining hall, which only has the one hallway as an entry point. So all dwarfs should routinely be exposed to sunlight walking through the hallway. I've built a wall around the hole on the surface, trying to decide how many levels up it should be to really dissuade climbers as they will need to fall down many levels to enter the fort through the shaft.
Make sure the wall has an overhang, so they can't climb up. Put cage traps on it so flyers will hopefully not get down.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51147 on: December 08, 2017, 06:42:31 pm »

Ah, that satisfying moment when your magma pumpstack is done and you can upgrade to magma smelting.

Now if only my map had iron ore.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51148 on: December 08, 2017, 07:11:27 pm »

Do you not have a steady supply of goblinite? They are pretty rare sometimes with the new world patches.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51149 on: December 08, 2017, 07:31:51 pm »

I chose a goblinless map, to preserve FPS. Tons of goblin clutter tend to harm it.
If I want fight, there's caves, an increased megabeast count, and humans and elves to piss off.

I can still import plenty of iron items though. I prefer anvils, perhaps not the most efficient, but they are the easiest to quickly select on the trade screen. Perhaps trap components are a good idea too, they should be next to each other in the trade list too.

In unsurprising news, my expedition leader knocked his lover unconscious this time with a jab to the jaw.
I wonder if getting hospitalized repeatedly will train her recuperation stat.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:33:47 pm by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 3408 3409 [3410] 3411 3412 ... 3836