Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3409 3410 [3411] 3412 3413 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5852361 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51150 on: December 08, 2017, 09:22:42 pm »

Got my luxury prison system set up. I've just ignored my first mandate.
Nothing to get your dwarves' spirits up than some jailtime and subsequent release.

Once I've armoured up all dwarves to survive a beating, I can start using export ban violations in combination with enabling / disabling trade good hauling to determine exacly which dwarves I want to go through a round of justice system. Iirc, export ban violations don't always result in prison time, they can result in a beating as well (or hammerstrikes, if you have a hammerer).

UPDATE EDIT: it seems that as long as you do not appoint a hammerer, export ban restrictions are limited to prison time. Might depend on offended party or sheriff's personality though. I just had 5 dwarves sentenced to 101 days each. Which is good, since I have exactly 5 prison cells relaxation rooms. Must expand.

In other news, we celebrated the 15th beating into hospital of "Nurse" Tanhammer (in 6 years time). Way it's going, she spends more time in a hospital bed being sutured and wound dressed than that she sutures and dresses patients. That dwarf REALLY likes to start fights with her lover. Not even tavern brawls, no, except for that one bard that broke her toe, all fights were with her lover, and started somewhere random, not in the tavern.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:37:53 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51151 on: December 09, 2017, 10:23:48 pm »

A near-constant infestation of undead walruses, elephant seals and puffins makes any walk outside both terrifying and deeply, deeply weird.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Alpaq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51152 on: December 10, 2017, 03:32:34 am »

My fisherdwarf Esme Aslatup just got bored by fishing with no catch and casually decided to become Monster Slayer just before going to sleep. I'm curious of his future adventures.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51153 on: December 10, 2017, 09:17:52 am »

Just broke into the top cavern layer and it is at least 50 z-levels high in parts. Now I want to design a fort built into those walls with glass windows, balconies and so on. Everything should be fine until the first flying building-destroying forgotten beast comes along.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51154 on: December 10, 2017, 11:17:51 am »

I was suddenly struck with  - cancels store item in stockpile - item inacessible - spam.
I thought I had fixed that by forbidding everything in the caverns (which are forbidden through burrow), and going into (o)ptions>>F(orbid) and forbidding other death's corpses and other death items.

Trying to fix it, I did another forbid designation over all 3 caves. Didn't work. Still spam.
Only when I dragged a forbid designation from the top cave ceiling all the way down to the very bottom level of the map did the spam end.

I wonder what item can suddenly appear below the third cavern that is not a creature corpse, nor a death item.
Mysterious.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51155 on: December 10, 2017, 05:51:52 pm »

I had a Gorlak necromancer turn up at my fort, followed by an attack by a were-gila monster.  Abandoned the fort due to all the were-gila monsters.  Reclaimed and had a were-gila monster turn up in a migration wave.  Managed to wall in the only infected dwarf.  Now there is an undead siege of ~50, including a single living goblin.  He is listed as an invader but the undead don't attack him.  So I called a civilian alert however I have managed to build a retracting bridge instead of raising, so now I will have to try and rebuild the bridge before the undead path into my fort.  Wish me luck.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51156 on: December 10, 2017, 05:55:38 pm »

My Count demands a bronze bed in his throne room.

In other news: Oh, nice! Dwarves will learn to play foreign instruments if provided with them. One of my dwarves is now a novice bara (elf instrument) player.
Instruments that are built with b>>I are also working as intended. Can't say I ever spotted them being used in last year's version, but now they most certainly are used.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:19:05 pm by martinuzz »

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51157 on: December 11, 2017, 05:30:15 am »

Fortress Hammerglow just got it's first visit from a megabeast, a cyclops. I stationed 2 squads near the fortress gate in hopes that the cyclops would agro on them. It did not...  It just sat at the upper right corner and waiting so I was forced to march my dwarfs across a long open field to it. Naturally by the time they reached the cyclops they were wretching all over themselves.

My hopes for success were slightly lowered at that point...

...but as it turned out, things went better than they could have. Lost 2 dwarfs and one badly injured before the beast was slain but slain it was!

As an added bonus this gave me the chance to see if our newly appointed Chief Medical Dwarf was up to the task.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The injured party, Solon along with his faithful friend at his bedside. He's in pretty rough shape but I think he'll make it.

I saw this as I did a quick scan of my dorfs to see if any were losing their shit after the two deaths:
Oh dear...

Well okay then.

I'm sure he'll be fine.........  ???

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51158 on: December 11, 2017, 01:52:07 pm »

I finally suffered  a casualty to the vampire I suspected was lurking in my halls due to multiple dwarves suffering from blood loss at random - My Hammerlord Athel, who had yet to score enough kills for a title (by one whole kill sadly.) A quick perusal of my citizens revealed an oddity I see when dwarves see dwarves die: One dwarf was horrified after seeing an "unknown creature" die.... Well, between him and my infected hunter, I decided the best use of these dwarves was as dedicated raiders. I sent them on a mission with just helmets, mail and leather and a shield and spear each. I figured sending themt o a major site would guarentee thier deaths...

Only a couple days later for them to come back with both books at the place in hand.

It's probably gonna take a while for me to be rid of these two hazards for good...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51159 on: December 11, 2017, 02:32:20 pm »

I'm on the 5th year of a a population capped fort and named it Assaultruin. 

At first, I wanted to make soldiers for raiding and such, but I've read mixed bugs about it, so I did not send out any artifact stealing yet. 

I began with pop max 20, and with a large forest embark with 1 layer aquifer, I supported a metal industry using charcoal.  I steadily increased to 30, and now 40 pop. 

So I have a baron, then recently became a dutchy.  I have 28 military; 1 admin, 1 mechanic, 6 miners / mason, and 4 kids (2 of which will be adults soon). 

Everyone that is not a miner have highest moodable for weapon or armor.  I also strictly only smelted iron, pig iron, and steel. 

Artifacts are 2 steel battle axes, 2 steel spears, 1 steel short sword, a stone grate, a mask, and some other kid created crap. 

I dug a 3x10 tavern floor with retracting bridge;  through an aquifer layer that serves as water source for drowning. 
5z below, I lined with galena blocks since I will not smelt lead bars.  I also starting using iron cages, so it is set with 30 iron cage traps. 

When I pulled out the floor of 20+ visitors, some get stunned and get caged trapped.  Others just get stunned but not caged.  So they were drowned.

I used a portable drain, and reset new iron cages. 

I think I will dig a long hallways and display my captured visitors.  Too bad the leopard woman did not get trapped.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51160 on: December 11, 2017, 06:56:05 pm »

My sherrif just got convicted to 76 days in prison due to ignoring a mandate. There's no one to put him in prison though.
Does the game still have fortress guard positions under a captain of the guard once certain requirements are met, or has that setup been removed from the game?

EDIT: in other news, hurray! Year 11 of the fort, I now have my first resident apply for full citizenship.
I now have a human bard under my full control. Good to see the bug where you could not assign petitioned citizens to locations has been fixed. Could assign him to tavern as a performer without problems.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:12:33 pm by martinuzz »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51161 on: December 11, 2017, 07:12:20 pm »

I watched a hammerlord in my CotG's squad beat a farmer to a pulp who had ignored a mandate. Uncertain if it was a coincidental argument.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51162 on: December 11, 2017, 07:29:29 pm »

NOOOOOOOOO. Two of my dwarves just dodged through a solid wall while sparring in the barracks, straight into the bottom of the well reservoir, and are obviously drowing and unrescuable.
Now that's a dumb bug.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51163 on: December 11, 2017, 07:33:12 pm »

I consider save-scumming a valid tool in case of bugs that have a major impact on future gameplay.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51164 on: December 11, 2017, 07:37:58 pm »

Well yea, if only I would have a save. My latest backup is from 6 fort years ago.
Just asked in DFHack thread, but maybe someone has a quicker answer here. Can I install DFHack while DF is running? (It involves replacing the DLL in the DF root directory)

EDIT: nvm, I tried, and it tells me I can't replace the file because it's in use by another program.

Guess this fort is a ragequit then, and I'll start anew tomorrow :(
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:49:51 pm by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 3409 3410 [3411] 3412 3413 ... 3836