Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3410 3411 [3412] 3413 3414 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5838084 times)

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51165 on: December 11, 2017, 09:59:55 pm »

I set up a danger room. Took the leg bones out of 6 of my military dwarves. And a mercenary.

The hospital wasn't ready for this... All I wanted was maybe 1 or 2 dwarves needing a diagnosis and a kiss on a boo-boo.

Time to take a few spears out and try again.
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51166 on: December 11, 2017, 10:56:51 pm »

We finally have a named sword, Fuschiarisen, by the swordsdwarf Olin. She bestowed this name after bashing in a gigantic feathered and winged nematode's brain with the pommel.

The dynamic douchebags have yet to fail thier book thefts.

I'll continue sending them out until they fail to return.

EDIT: After four thefts emptying out the pit of Guarddemon's library, the humans in control spotted the two on the way out, and declared war upon Relicseized!

They failed to return on the next raid, and frankly this place is better off for it.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51167 on: December 12, 2017, 01:03:00 am »

Well yea, if only I would have a save. My latest backup is from 6 fort years ago.
Just asked in DFHack thread, but maybe someone has a quicker answer here. Can I install DFHack while DF is running? (It involves replacing the DLL in the DF root directory)

EDIT: nvm, I tried, and it tells me I can't replace the file because it's in use by another program.

Guess this fort is a ragequit then, and I'll start anew tomorrow :(

You don't, you save, quit, and then install DF hack. 

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51168 on: December 12, 2017, 01:35:23 am »

^Saving&quitting would save the undesired state (two dwarfs dead by phasing through wall). Martinuzz wanted to "roll back" to the last save state, which requires duplicating the last pre-problem save before save&quit overwrites it. Of course, this doesn't require DFHack at all.

Well yea, if only I would have a save. My latest backup is from 6 fort years ago.

Probably much too late now, but your region file is not touched between loading and saving (or between regular auto-saves), so if you just switch to the file manager and make a copy of the directory, you get a fresh backup of the last save state.

You can also start a second instance of DF and pick the fort in question, which restarts it from that last save. Just be careful in which order you save&quit your two instances of the fort, because you might end up overwriting the "good" state with the "bad" one after all. Or you could kill the process via programme manager.

Backup functionality is also included in the vanilla game, via the AUTOSAVE and AUTOBACKUP options in /data/init/d_init.txt .
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:41:33 am by Larix »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51169 on: December 12, 2017, 02:10:00 am »

Just asked in DFHack thread, but maybe someone has a quicker answer here. Can I install DFHack while DF is running? (It involves replacing the DLL in the DF root directory)

EDIT: nvm, I tried, and it tells me I can't replace the file because it's in use by another program.

Guess this fort is a ragequit then, and I'll start anew tomorrow :(

I always enable seasonal auto-save and -backup on my DF builds, since it often saves me a lot of trouble in the future.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51170 on: December 12, 2017, 09:29:55 am »

Year 14 in Oggez (The Hole) has just passed.

So far, I've built a ceramic block wall around the entire upper map 5 tiles from the edge, paving it right to the edge with more ceramic block roads.

I trapped a migrating herd of horses inside the wall, meaning no wandering spawns should threaten me from above ground.

My population of 20 dwarves is comprised of ten heterosexual males, seven heterosexual females, two bisexual females and one asexual male.

All ten males have been drafted into a single hammerdwarf squad, and their training is coming along nicely, though armor production is hampered by lack of steel.

The two bisexual females are assigned to train as crossbow marksdwarves, and their training is slow by comparison, as they mostly spend time socializing at the tavern instead of training.

I plan to assign my asexual male as the fortress medical expert, but so far haven't gotten around to setting up a hospital or organizing 'unfortunate' accidents to train him.

I've breached the first cavern layer, drilling straight through and walling off a massive pipe into the stone beneath.

Once I judge the hammerdwarf squad sufficiently trained, I plan to wall off the caverns completely, floor to ceiling, in a manner similar to my upper fortress map.

Hopefully construction should begin in a year or two more, barring unfortunate accidents.

My baroness has a profound love of amulets and goblets. Every season or two I get production orders for one to three of each.

Given the wealth of galena in the upper layers, my dwarves drink from lead goblets now, and bear a lead amulet upon their heart as part of their uniform.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:33:18 am by Jimmy »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #51171 on: December 12, 2017, 01:10:26 pm »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51172 on: December 12, 2017, 01:19:36 pm »

That happens, yeah. Don't know if they'll show up to your fort wielding artifact weaponry, admittedly, but it would be awesome.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51173 on: December 12, 2017, 01:52:42 pm »

I am currently working on learning the Military interface and managing squads.
It is quite complex. So far I have successfully managed have two squads train together, with periods of active/inactive behavior and I have even managed to successfully take down a cyclops! It was standing in the corner of my 3x3 embark zone for some reason..

Speaking of reasons, is there any particular reason why my squad when off-duty chill out the barracks?
Also speaking of particular reasons, currently none of my military peeps got any sort of profession going for them. Should I give them something to do off-duty or are letting them do whatevs they want in the tavern/temple/meeting hall enough to keep them satisfied?
One of the things I do with military dwarfs, is give them a non-moodable profession to work and a schedule that is two months of active duty and one month off-duty, so that during the last month of each season, they all stop training and do civilian work, then go to the tavern or temple and have a party.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One squad will be plant gatherers, that gather plants from the plant gathering zones, which means that those zones are "farmed" once a season and the plant gatherers will pick many plants before returning the food to the stockpiles. Another squad will be web-collecters, gathering webs from the cavern areas within the weaver workshop's burrow. And another group will be miller/plant processers.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51174 on: December 12, 2017, 01:59:54 pm »

I decided to train the squads in swimming. 

With 1 aquifer layer, I set a screw pump to put water into this 7x7 room with a barracks. 

An iron door to enter, a flood gate on the far side onto a 1 tile grated channel down to aquifer as drain. 

Close the flood gate. 

Station the squad inside. 

Lock the iron door. 

Start pump, then Stop to 4/7 deep but not fully 7/7. 

Refresh Dwarf Therapist shows the progress experience in swimming skill. 

Open flood gate to drain the room.

Unlock iron door at 1//7 or 2/7.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51175 on: December 12, 2017, 04:01:11 pm »

NOOOOOOOO!
My new fort is plagued again by the -get +5 visitors every 2 days that completely ignore the vistor cap- bug.

Of course, it didn't manifest until after I set up my economy.
Another 8h of designing in vain.

Ahwell, new fort tomorrow then :P
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51176 on: December 12, 2017, 04:45:39 pm »

She could, I've occasionally seen megabeasts breed. I'm not sure if I ever saw married non-night-trolls though.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

LexJackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51177 on: December 12, 2017, 04:53:25 pm »

So I've started the fort Fealtymasions on a large 500 year old island world, with the hope that I could get more artefacts and !FUN! with raids. And I've sent 10 of my sacrificial lucky dwarfs on an adventure of a lifetime. They are out to seek Ringpurged, an artefact steel crossbow. And what a journey it will be.

This is the journey:
It will take them 12 days to get there, traveling from our mountain holdout, across a band of elf fortresses, Human towns and dwarf mountain-homes to wade through an evil infested goblin hellhole, to reach the location of Ringpurged. This is the location of Ringpurged:

The crossbow Ringpurged requires traveling deep into my worlds Antarctic circle, across an evil glacier containing a dark elven fortress called Tormentstaves (the purple dresser), which is surrounded by a circle of 4 dark goblin pits (the grey cloth). Once those are passed, its only up a mountain range and onto its frozen icecap, the tallest place on my world and then to recover Ringpurged. After its recovery, its only a matter of going through it all again to get back to Feltymasions.

I equipped my squad with the finest copper armour I could forge, except for those dwarfs who refused to part with their leather cloaks etc, and copper weapons. The Brilliant Razors were set off at the end of Autumn to make their expedition at the hight of winter. Checking my stockpiles, only 5 carried their copper helms and most left their weapons at home. As they are a new squad (and my only squad), they will survive untrained and untested on their journey, relying on whatever skills they came here with. They have yet to return. May Amok have mercy upon them.

[EDIT] UPDATE:Winter has given way to spring which has given way to Summer. No sign of my dwarfs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:21:23 pm by LexJackle »

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51178 on: December 13, 2017, 12:15:43 am »

Work on the reservoir has been completed:
I had 3 flood gates installed for future uses. Not sure what just yet but I'd like to work in some water feature like a fountain or waterfall. There's also a channel (currently closed) that flows directly into the first cavern layer just in case I ever need to empty the reservoir for any reason.

In other news: The dwarf that was brutalized by the cyclops is all mended up tho he can only get about by way of crutches. Our resident doc did a fine job patching him up all things considered.

And we got another artifact weapon. A pig iron short sword. Not sure what to think of that... Never had my dwarf make any weapon from pig iron before. I'm picturing a sword with slag inclusions and chunks of iron scaling hanging off it.

I think I'll forbid its use in future moods...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:31:12 am by Urist McWaffles »

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51179 on: December 13, 2017, 12:28:04 am »

Woah... What tileset are you using? I'm usually a die-hard proponent of ASCII but that set is super nice-looking.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.
Pages: 1 ... 3410 3411 [3412] 3413 3414 ... 3836