Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3411 3412 [3413] 3414 3415 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857344 times)

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51180 on: December 13, 2017, 12:38:00 am »

From this

Spoiler: tileset (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:08:56 am by ☼Another☼ »

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51181 on: December 13, 2017, 02:29:05 am »

From this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's the one. Krugsmashes creation.  It grew on me after watching his Hero of Balance series. It seems a nice evolution from the original ACSII art :)

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51182 on: December 13, 2017, 09:20:57 am »

So, my first embark on a newly generated 5 year old world, carefully read all the personal info on all seven dwarves, select skills and change up the items we embark with, no picks or axes... lots of milk, and sandbags, some coal, and a few different metal ores, 20 logs, and pause it instantly when they arrive. We have arrived in a nice alpine valley with a scattering of trees, a nice brook and a few scattered lakes, with the valley running N-S every bit of water is frozen as it's still early spring. I press "k" to survey my surroundings, and check the sides of the valley for exposed mineral ores, and I see a nice "D" some 50 to 60 steps away, and there was a popup about finding a cave. Yes, I managed to embark on an occupied dragon cave, quite by accident. the units screen lists the dragon as "Resident Dragon", and it turns out the dragon is not hostile to my dwarves, at least for now.
    Shortly after I un-pause, a wombat annoys the dragon, and I have a forest fire approaching my wagon, so I get busy making a few workshops from the stone I brought, and proceed to turn a log into charcoal, turn coal into coke and proceed to smelt the hematite I brought and make an iron pick, iron battle axe and 20 iron bolts, and one wooden crossbow. We dig into the clay walls make a food pile and get my dwarves set to hauling in my seeds, milk and the few other edibles I brought, I did not have enough time to haul in the logs or the sand. I set up a pasture inside one of the rooms and bring in my livestock, dogs, chickens, turkeys, cattle, water buffalo and yack bull. The fire arrives and eats the wagon some 20 logs and 35 bags filled with yellow sand, I just hope some trees survive the fire, or my dwarves will be sleeping in mud for a long time to come.
  I have the settings to zoom to the site of a message and pause the game, and I am treated to several hundred zoom and pauses as each tree collapses on the surface, my dwarves look concerned, eying the bare floor. While waiting for the fire to pass, we finish digging out some more rooms in the clay and set up a farm plot and plant our 10 plump helmet spawn.

The fire has passed, and I delete the alert burrow that had restricted my dwarves to the one tunnel and few rooms we built, and survey the area. There is still a single patch of greenery that was protected by a band of bare stone, I set up a pasture, and assign the grass eaters to it. We have a milk supply established, though it is on the far side of the valley.
  I build a few workshops in the scrap of a fort we have dug out, and order the outside workshops we built to be de-constructed, the coke was gone, one bit of coal remained in the ashes of the wagon, but the ingots we had smelted were all just fine as well as a couple of metal ores we did not get to. I create a dump zone inside the fort next to the entrance and proceed to mark the remains of my embark materials to be brought in and dumped into the pile. There are a few trees left, I ask the woodcutter to take the axe and chop down two willows near a small pond, and we now have some 30 willow logs, we'll need to be careful about where we use wood, but for now I make one bucket, 7 beds , one splint, and one crutch, and burn one log to charcoal, and turn my last lump of coal into coke. the farmer's workshop converts the various milks we brought into some cheese, and the cook makes a plump helmet roast using 10 cheese and three plump helmets. Hmm, that might not be wise to cook the plump helmets, Urist.

Migrants have arrived, and some small, scattered greenery is poking up through the ashes. I ask a few dwarves to go gather what they can find, and we make some rye beer, which is quickly consumed, most of the dwarves are starting to feel some effects at not getting enough alcohol, I have my expedition leader talk to some of the dwarves about the lack of alcohol in the fort and encourage them to find more plants that can be brewed. One of the new migrants is a hunter and I find him hauling in a dead wild yak bull, after the butchering is done , but before the meat is hauled to the food pile, I ordered 3 lavish meals to be prepared, yup the cook grabbed the plump helmets. I can see that we'll be trading for more seed.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51183 on: December 13, 2017, 09:56:18 am »

Working on the"Pit of misery".

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51184 on: December 13, 2017, 10:55:25 am »

So all these visitors just piles up in my 3x10 retracting bridge tavern. 
2z below, is a sealed aquifer walls except for 1 tile with raising bridge to server as water source. 
5z below total is a floor lined with galena blocks, and iron cage traps. 
Access to this trap level is through a raising bridge that closes behind some fortification to act a train for the grate with portable drain below. 
So, the lever was pulled and about 4 were stunned and caged; the rest were drowned.

Fast forward to cleaning up after draining.  My miner goes into emotional shock when hauling corpses.  It turns out some of those visitors are relatives: aunts and cousins.  In fact, a lot of my migrants are related in this large family tree. 

One hopeful prospect, I have 2 kids turning 12 this year.  Tonto the male already became an adult and was added to train hammer and crossbow.  Moldi the girl will turn 12 in Opal, but mooded to make an native platinum earring.  The good news is they are not related and there is a good chance they hook up and make a family. 

I'm thinking of training both of them to be both hammer lords and elite marksdwarfs, and legendary swimmers.  Then see if I can increase pop so they have kids.  Current max pop is 40 and Assaultruin fortress is a duchy.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51185 on: December 13, 2017, 11:38:09 am »

One of the new migrants is a hunter and I find him hauling in a dead wild yak bull, after the butchering is done , but before the meat is hauled to the food pile, I ordered 3 lavish meals to be prepared, yup the cook grabbed the plump helmets. I can see that we'll be trading for more seed.
You know you can disable cooking/brewing for plants in the 'z'->Kitchen menu, right?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51186 on: December 13, 2017, 01:03:20 pm »

Nooooo! My new fort is once again plagued by the excessive visitor bug. Looks like I am cursed.
Both this one and the previous one weren't even on medium worlds, they're on small regions, just like the one not plagued by the bug.

I REALLY hope this gets fixed soon.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #51187 on: December 13, 2017, 01:07:13 pm »

Nooooo! My new fort is once again plagued by the excessive visitor bug. Looks like I am cursed.
Both this one and the previous one weren't even on medium worlds, they're on small regions, just like the one not plagued by the bug.

the only "fix" I've found is to stay away from elves, no elves=no problems
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Fireking55

• Escaped Lunatic
  • !FIRE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51188 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:02 pm »

A troll attacked my fort and destroyed my magma smelter and forge. After doing this it went to my managers office and did nothing. my manger entered his office and the troll did nothing. the manager left and the troll. did. nothing. I decided to wall it in (I am testing the effectiveness of monster slayers in defending you fort from them, BTW the only one i have DID NOTHING) and now it is just sitting in the mangers offfice.

Urist McHauler cancels store item in bin: mutating
Urist McHauler has become a legendary mutant!
Urist McHauler has founded the x-dwarves!
[/quote]

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51189 on: December 13, 2017, 02:38:20 pm »

Well? Read through that troll's resume and give it an interview. It's rude to keep him waiting in your office like that.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51190 on: December 13, 2017, 02:41:03 pm »

It's just taking it a while to knock something over, clearly.

Also, fun fact, hatches can be destroyed from below. It just takes a stupidly long time.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #51191 on: December 13, 2017, 03:08:29 pm »

Or it's just that damn glitch where "hostile" underground wildlife don't react on anyone except activated military.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51192 on: December 13, 2017, 04:09:34 pm »

the only "fix" I've found is to stay away from elves, no elves=no problems
Nah that's not it, my last fort that didn't have the bug did have elves.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51193 on: December 13, 2017, 04:13:36 pm »

But was it a 44.02 fort? Elves seem to be spies a lot in 44.02.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51194 on: December 13, 2017, 04:40:38 pm »

Can you blame them for being suspicious of dwarves?
Pages: 1 ... 3411 3412 [3413] 3414 3415 ... 3836