Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3414 3415 [3416] 3417 3418 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862584 times)

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51225 on: December 15, 2017, 12:49:42 pm »

just generated a new map..looking for a good spot to place a fort in. think im gonna try go for artic expedition again

i haventh played df for ages now...will be fun to get back on game

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51226 on: December 15, 2017, 02:33:59 pm »

Hmmm, could it be possible that the visitor bug is related to artefacts stolen by unnamed keas becoming untraceable, creaing a neverending backlog of spies trying to find an unfindable object just waiting to rush our unsuspecting fortresses? Just a wild guess though.

EDIT: what's the tag(s?) that makes wildlife like keas steal stuff? I guess I could remove those from the raws and do some testing to see if that prevents the visitor bug from occuring
[CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM], I think.
And I don't think it has to do with keas stealing artifacts, as I'm pretty sure it will work with forts that never even had an artifact.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51227 on: December 15, 2017, 04:37:23 pm »

It's not about fortress artefacts, it's about worldgen artefacts.
For example, in the year 5, a dwarf writes a crappy book. In the year 6, it gets stolen by  kea, in the year 6-250 (if you worldgen lasts to 250), an unimaginable number of spies are sent out to find clues to recover the stolen book (and all fail, because there's no clues to be found about unnamed keas).
By the time you embark on your fort, thousands of spies have completely explored every site on the worldmap, and have been unable to find it. Then you embark, and every single last one of them heads to your new fort, because that's the only location in the world that they haven't searched for the book yet in that past 244 years.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:44:23 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

YomToxic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51228 on: December 15, 2017, 09:58:19 pm »

"A weapon to surpass Steel !FUN!..."

"It seems our finest forces has failed us in our darkest hour. Prepare the Dwarven accelerated-antimatter bomb and amplify it with the resonative crystals... for tonight, we dine in Arnok's Hall."

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51229 on: December 15, 2017, 10:28:17 pm »

Yet another attack by a werecreature, 3rd one so far. It killed one before transforming back into a dwarf then was caught up in a cage trap as it tried to flee from the military.

Most probably would have immediately slain the beast after they had caught it but I have other plans for it...

In other news, a few more artifacts have been created in Hammerglow, most fairly boring. And then there's this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fairly standard so far...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well that's a bit disturbing.  :o

This group of dwarfs certainly seem a grim lot so far.

Ljas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51230 on: December 16, 2017, 12:20:08 am »

New fort. Settled in a nice valley with plenty of metal, a waterfall and even a natural cave. First time playing since .44 hit so was excited to get into DF again.

Unfortunately, the dragon that was chilling within breathing distance of the wagon didn't really care for my presence.
It was the shortest lived fort I've ever had.

Another day, another chance to be neither at work nor tired, which means another fort!
Fairly unremarkable embark on a small, short history world.
I see some red splotches on the map, and check the units list for what animals they might be.
Spoiler: OKAY THEN (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Oh, it's right there (click to show/hide)

I must be cursed. All I did was get LNP and stick the Wanderlust tileset into it. Surely it can't be the cause?

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51231 on: December 16, 2017, 12:53:15 am »

Only thing I can think of is that the raws are broken for the tileset, and megabeasts are considered megabeasts (they don't have the [MEGABEAST] tag).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:55:33 am by ☼Another☼ »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51232 on: December 16, 2017, 01:00:41 am »

That hydra, as the dwarves are unpacking, lowers some of its heads in among the dwarves from a bush and scares the shit out of them as they realize the heads are there, as it announces its presence by saying " 'Sup."

The dwarves proceeded to abandon the place, as they had collectively shat thier drawers at the sight of the hydra, leaving it forever alone.

LexJackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51233 on: December 16, 2017, 02:49:35 am »

I keep getting the visitor bug. I got 130 visitors in my tavern with a cap of 100, all within 2 years. I've yet to receive any petitions for residency, which is really annoying. I set my emergency burrow under my tavern, which I hoped would cull a few of them come !FUN!, but a werebeast only killed 2. I'm in an area without elves, so its not that that's causing it. I've sadly got only 20 in my military and only platinum ore so far, so its going to be a while before I can use my overpopulated pub to train my military.

In other news, someone died in my river. 5 pump stacks later and an aqueduct across half the map, I've recovered the corpse.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51234 on: December 16, 2017, 03:01:48 am »

Yea, petitions not working seems to be a consistent side effect of the visitor bug. Only my one fort that did not have the bug, got petitions.
The ones with visitor bug, the visitors will never petition.

EDIT: In other news, one of my dwarves worships a roc, a titan, and two gods.

I do wonder what thoughts the dwarf will get when the fort is attacked by said roc or titan. Or won't they attack a fort with active worshippers?

EDIT2: Progress! Or, to put it in other words, <SMOOOOSH>. Bye bye elf peddlers, bye bye bugged monster slayers, bye bye bards. I hope you enjoyed your stay in The Paste of Bridging.
Down to 7 visitors now, I'll let them accumulate again for a while until the next <SMOOOOOSH>. Or maybe I'll drown them and steal their gear next time. As long as I stay away from designating any unrestricted locations, I think I'll be able to manage the bug this fort. Bit sad though that I won't get petitions.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:07:15 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51235 on: December 16, 2017, 04:31:00 am »

"This is a liquid darkness ethustrings. It is made of liquid darkness cloth"

What the hell? The elves brought it with their first caravan. I cant afford it and I have no military so taking it is too risky right now...

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51236 on: December 16, 2017, 04:35:14 am »

"This is a liquid darkness ethustrings. It is made of liquid darkness cloth"

What the hell? The elves brought it with their first caravan. I cant afford it and I have no military so taking it is too risky right now...
That's divine, procedurally generated fabric. For some reason elves can bring it along on caravans. If you see other stuff like clothing made out of "screaming mouths" or "dancing wisps", those are also divine fabric.

LexJackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51237 on: December 16, 2017, 05:23:57 am »

Yea, petitions not working seems to be a consistent side effect of the visitor bug. Only my one fort that did not have the bug, got petitions.
The ones with visitor bug, the visitors will never petition.

EDIT: In other news, one of my dwarves worships a roc, a titan, and two gods.

I do wonder what thoughts the dwarf will get when the fort is attacked by said roc or titan. Or won't they attack a fort with active worshippers?

EDIT2: Progress! Or, to put it in other words, <SMOOOOSH>. Bye bye elf peddlers, bye bye bugged monster slayers, bye bye bards. I hope you enjoyed your stay in The Paste of Bridging.
Down to 7 visitors now, I'll let them accumulate again for a while until the next <SMOOOOOSH>. Or maybe I'll drown them and steal their gear next time. As long as I stay away from designating any unrestricted locations, I think I'll be able to manage the bug this fort. Bit sad though that I won't get petitions.

Its linked imo. I've had it now in two forts and its getting bad. My fort has 18 citizens and 48 guests. I only got the problem after I changed my caps down in d_init, so I suspect thats what's causing it. Its annoying that my forts are getting this bug. I wouldn't be annoyed too much if I was getting my normal level of petitions, as they are predominantly military units and I could send them on expeditions. I just hope a hotfix is found.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51238 on: December 16, 2017, 05:41:18 am »

OHGODS. Who was it that said visitors won't raise as ghosts?

<The stray wardog has been found dead, contorted in fear.>
There's a ghostly axedwarf on the loose.

I also don't think it's linked to adjusting the visitor cap in the init file. The one fort I had that not have the bug also had it's visitor cap reduced to 20, which is my standard thing to do.

EDIT: There, all dwarves slabbed. Now I just hope the dead elves, humans, and goblins don't rise.

EDIT2: Dayum, clearing out my treefarm area from rocks and ores is taking forever, even with 2 input stockpiles with 3 featherwood wheelbarrows each feeding the rocks into quantum stockpiles. Dwarves been at it non stop for 2 seasons now, and it's not nearly don yet. C'mon, it's only a 40x30x3 area worth of rocks.
Ah well, at least it should be faster than dumping it all, since that doesn't use wheelbarrows.
Speaking of quantum stockpiles, I must admit, I have become a major fan of them, for saving space and FPS. My current fort has no bins, and booze and dwarven syrup are the only two things using barrels. Everything is quantum dumped. My FPS, year 3, is still at max.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:14:15 pm by martinuzz »

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51239 on: December 16, 2017, 07:40:26 pm »

A COTI STOLE MY LEGENDARY BOOK I HAD JUST STOLE AND NOW MY DWARFS ARE ON A GOOSE CHASE TO RETRIEVE IT!!!!! 
Pages: 1 ... 3414 3415 [3416] 3417 3418 ... 3836