Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3423 3424 [3425] 3426 3427 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857038 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51360 on: December 24, 2017, 01:21:15 pm »

I am wondering if my prison therapy session would even work better if I removed the booze stockpiles from the prisons. It will save the prisoners the horror of not being able to drink from a mug (or maybe not, not sure about being given water from a bucket, and give the water bringer satisfaction for the help someone need.

The only downside I can see is buckets with 9 water scattering about and poluuting the fort.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51361 on: December 24, 2017, 03:18:33 pm »

This small strike force just came in - they're from a civ that normally would be friendly, but due to worldgen shenanigans are at war with my civ. Hope this goes well.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51362 on: December 24, 2017, 04:03:27 pm »

Haha my sheriff got convicted to jail time for violating an export ban, happened in my previous fort too.
For fun and giggles I should have him export some more banned goods next caravan, see if unserved jailtime is cumulative.

Except for the sheriff, it's a good haul, managed to get 9 dwarves into now boozeless prison for 101 days. That should satisfy the 'help someone' need on a handful of my dwarves.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:07:00 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51363 on: December 24, 2017, 06:01:20 pm »

an immigrant doctor, with master skills in surgery & bone setting is also.....

A grand master bone carver...

:o

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51364 on: December 24, 2017, 06:20:45 pm »

YAY!

After crushing another 12 bugged visitors, 3 legit bards (carrying instruments, and with purpose of visit to entertain) have arrived, and just now, ONE HAS PETITIONED.

A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51365 on: December 24, 2017, 07:18:45 pm »

Think of all the failed surgery and bone setting attempts they might have had while working their way to those master skill levels.

That's a fair amount of potential skeletons/raw material for practicing bone carving on.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51366 on: December 25, 2017, 01:35:01 am »

Nah, your immigrant surgeon just had a strange mood and got elevated to legendary status.

"Behold! Treatypalace!"

"But... That's my arm... I need that..."

"Shut up, Urist, it's a dwarf bone wall grate now."
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51367 on: December 25, 2017, 11:21:39 am »

Ooo, this is interesting.

Remember a dwarf scholar came by, wrote a book then left ?

They've returned. This time petitioning for residency as well.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51368 on: December 25, 2017, 11:44:50 am »

Knowing that Giant Cave Spiders have a preference for climbing into my Hospital instead of using the perfectly good trap room I laid out, I enabled the Mechanics labor on every single Dorf the moment a GCS was spotted.  They secured my Hospital just moments before it arrived from the pump access shaft.

Click to enlarge

Woot!  This fine specimen will start her training the instant she is hauled to my stockpile.  And she spawned on the first cavern layer too, which is (relatively) much safer to manage than the other two.  Work is now underway to map out the remainder of Cavern 1, in the hopes of encouraging more GCS spawns.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51369 on: December 25, 2017, 12:50:37 pm »

Well, fended off the Tol'vir strike force. No casualties, but one of the recruits lost their hand, so I'm dropping them from the squad - hopefully next migrant wave I'll get a proper replacement.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51370 on: December 25, 2017, 05:46:41 pm »

A visiting scholar arrived, and while they were writing a book on "The Future of Beauty", they seem to have started crying, as inventory shows them to have a coating of tears on their eyes.

:(

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #51371 on: December 25, 2017, 05:50:39 pm »

Interesting... Not only that, but I think it's happened somewhere before; there's a link in someone's sig, but I don't remember whose.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #51372 on: December 25, 2017, 07:03:19 pm »

My community fort many years ago, Baldedgilds, had someone ask to get dorfed as a bone carver.  In the next migrant wave, I had a migrant who had really good medical and bone carving skills.  So I wrote about how he came attracted by all the death at the fort to practice his art in bone carving, but got drafted into working as a doctor instead because of his pursuit of mastery led him to learn many related medical skills.  It was what the fort needed, so he got stuck with it.  His patients tended to end up cosmetically disfigured around the site of their injuries.

Then another dwarf took on a fell mood.  Turned the aspiring bone carver doctor into an artifact dwarf bone table.  Never got to practice his art, yet still made the best work of bone carving in the land.  I made it the new operating table in the hospital, with a slab dedicated to him at the foot of it.

I like to tell this story to people who don't know about dwarf fortress as an example of how it generates emergent narratives, with just a little bit of effort to write in context to the stuff that's going on.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51373 on: December 25, 2017, 09:49:20 pm »

A pair of monster slayers who've been hanging around for months waiting for me to make proper access to the caverns have vented their frustration on a snatcher who somehow made it deep into the fortress. How satisfying! Was very pleased to see that the war dog who I assigned to one of the slayers joined in with the slaughter.

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51374 on: December 26, 2017, 03:56:36 am »

Brand new embark:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alrighty then...

Well, I guess we'll see how this plays out...
Pages: 1 ... 3423 3424 [3425] 3426 3427 ... 3836