Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3425 3426 [3427] 3428 3429 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856947 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51390 on: December 28, 2017, 08:58:46 pm »

The human caravan rolled into town and of course we were curious to see what new literary works they'd brought. We found twelve scrolls and codices, but alas!
All twelve were copies of the same lousy harlequin romance novel!

"Tuco Woodmurders: A Brief Introduction
[...]an essay authored by Cocu Acewhip. It concerns the marriage between the humans Cocu Acewhip and Tuco Woodmurders in 90. The writing is somewhat showy. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good, either."

"Cocu Acewhip" - c'mon, what sort of dumb author's name is that - "cocu" is french for "cuckold", and "Acewhip" is way too on the, erm, nose...  Seriously, humans? You think you can dump your failed Fifty Shades of Garbage ripoff on us?

P.S. of course we took two copies anyway, because we try to have two copies of absolutely everything that's written.
Making two statues with them as subject shows that Cocu is/was lord of some human settlement or other and Tuco authored a codex "Misconceptions about the Hamlet". Two pretty uninteresting upperclass humans.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:08:16 pm by Larix »

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51391 on: December 28, 2017, 09:16:10 pm »

Two of my citizens put each other in the hospital.

They are from my starting 7 in a new game I am playing now that I have the drow civilisation working.

Selected thoughts and personality of the farmer Lanami Refiliceyi.
"She was exhilarated after getting into an argument. She felt euphoric due to inebriation. She would never pass up a chance for a good fistfight."

Selected thoughts and personality of the woodworker Urithi Mipaiquila.
"He felt insulted after getting into an argument. He felt euphoric due to inebriation. He would never pass up a chance for a good fistfight."

And... they are romantically involved with each other.

??? :-\

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51392 on: December 29, 2017, 02:03:43 am »

Just checking out my resident monster slayer's thoughts to see if she needs a temple or anything (apparently not). Nice mind though. Utterly fearless when confronted with danger, dreams of becoming a legendary warrior, her current thought as she wrestles a cave crocodile is "The battle rages...I laugh in the face of death!".

Oh and "She is terrified while in conflict". Wtf...

GuentherTheBarbarian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51393 on: December 29, 2017, 03:43:58 am »

Decided I'd try putting these monster slayers to work and so far they've been great. Of course one troll has gotten the better of the elite marksman that was down there by sneaking up commando style and yanking his crossbow right out of his hands.

I know certain creatures ( ie. minotaurs I believe) can equip items but I've never seen something like that happen firsthand. Pretty cool.

It's been constant blood shed down there between the trio of monster slayers. I'm calling this fort "Creatureunknown's Battlecaverns"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51394 on: December 29, 2017, 05:10:44 am »

Had a migrant come today with the profession of "Criminal". Skillswise she is a mediocre swordsdwarf.

As one might expect she doesn't particularly value law.

goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51395 on: December 29, 2017, 06:30:22 am »

Rejoice. 20 years of sock making has paid off. There's no shoes left in my fort, so now I can assign everyone a full armor including high boots, to wear over their clothing.
Shoes are the only conflicting piece of clothing with a full armor set. Armor can go together with caps/trousers/cloaks/socks just fine.
Not that I really want clothing, it's such a micromanagement hassle to peridoically forbid all owned clothes in rooms to get rid of the ownership, and get them passed around until they are completely worn out (once they're XXitemXX, they won't be claimed again, and moved to the refuse stockpile to rot). I might stop making anything except cloaks once everyone's clad in full steel. But I do want them to wear trinkets, because that's cool, and setting armor to replace clothing gets rid of those too, sadly.

Note that all this is moot with dwarves being completely immune to unhappiness and stress nowadays, but if that's ever restored, socks are your answer to keeping the bad thought from not having shoes away until armor is available, without needing to set armor to replace clothing.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51396 on: December 29, 2017, 09:00:15 am »

There are, or were, 4 visitors from the .02 version that decided not to leave my fortress. But it's okay. Three of them have died of old age now.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #51397 on: December 29, 2017, 10:11:53 am »

I have started a slightly  modded fort.
The year is 236. Dwarvenkind is extinct (0 dwarves in the world).

I modded the game so that dwarves only live 1 year.
So, on the 1st of Granite, if they age 1yo, they die. If they age 0 yo, they will die next 1st Granite.

To make the return of dwarves feasible, I have also modded females dwarves to lay eggs. They lay 5 to 20 eggs.

------

Let's go !

I set up honeymoon rooms from my starting 7. Two of them have married in autumn, and started laying eggs.
My 2 migration waves were bad. No married, nor matching couples. Got pretty unlucky here.

------

Dwarven babies have hatched.

The eggs have hatched right before winter ! Yes !!
I now have 30 babies in their mother's arms...

Wait ? Babies ? Why Babies ?!!
Ho nooo ! I forgot to change the CHILD and BABY tags in the raws... Babies are not adults ! Damn it !

* Saves and changes the raws *
* Babies are still babies... *

I'm screwed !

------

28th Obsidian

Say goodbye to all the 1yo dwarves ! =D

Urist has been found dead.   x16

Okay.
3 Adults are still alive.
They are all female ! So no more honeymoon...

The fort is screwed.
I have 3 nurses taking care of 30 orphean babies, who crawl in the fort near the bodies of their parents, hopeless.
The nurses give food/water to the babies so they don't die.

Just try, if you can, to picture the situation. Dead bodies everywhere. 3 helpless girls trying to appease 30 crying babies, laying on the empy corridors...
I don't know why, but it makes me smile.

But I have no way to produce more dwarves.
Civ is dead. So no migrants.

----

I won't resign yet !

I'm waiting for winter to see if the babies turn adult. If they do, maybe I can do something.

I also set up a tavern to hopefully get something. The tavern is called "The last hope". Very fitting.

Next Spring, the fortress dies... I'll tell you if life found a way ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:41:21 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51398 on: December 29, 2017, 01:24:22 pm »

Hmm #20 Ezumnam's husband did not show up in the migration wave...
Shows up in the engrave list, (as does #20) so a filter for Ezumnam yields...

Corpse of Ore Clenchedevened, Animated by unknown forces.

I'll have to appoint a hammerer and assign this corpse to a cage, wall it in a room, do SOMETHING about this walking corpse.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51399 on: December 29, 2017, 06:15:29 pm »

My humans are sending their law-giver as diplomat every summer. There's no other nobles on the civilizations list screen for the humans. I hope they don't get completely wiped out by the goblins. The elves are nearing extinction too, I hope there's still some left to siege me once I turn on invasions.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #51400 on: December 29, 2017, 06:41:56 pm »

In my newer fort, I'm going to recover a necro book once I get a military...

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51401 on: December 29, 2017, 08:57:09 pm »

I started a new fort since the visitor bug had been fixed and my previous fort was more an attempt to experiment with the new content.

I've set the pop cap at 24, of which we are currently at 22. Invaders was also set to No so we can work in relative peace for the time being...

Digging was slow at first because I want at least 2 z-level high ceilings for most of my structures. Once I had the main corridor and trading center carved out I relocated my dwarfs inside from their temp home that I had dug just outside the main entrance. I may turn that space into a tavern or barracks later on.

I also started to train up metal workers so that we can hopefully get some useful artifacts in the future...

Speaking of, we did just get our first artifact. One of the founding 7 created a not particularly useful or remarkable orthoclase crown. Yay?  :-\

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #51402 on: December 29, 2017, 09:14:49 pm »

One of the founding 7 created a not particularly useful or remarkable orthoclase crown. Yay?  :-\

How valuable is it? You might be able to trade it to the caravans for a profit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51403 on: December 29, 2017, 09:21:04 pm »

My chief medical dwarf just wrote a book about the human and the goblin civilizations, which might become a work of prophesy.

It's titled "The Goblin And The Coming Troubles". Note that the war between the two civs isn't going very well for the humans.

Pretty cool, seeing books based on actual history unfolding. My chief medical dwarf must have used rumours told by visiting humans to write it.

As a side bonus, the book emphasizes the value of loyalty.

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51404 on: December 29, 2017, 09:26:50 pm »

So, the Goblins have been the only civilisation alive in the past thousand and five hundred years, but my fort is still getting migrant waves after the first two.

The Dwarves shall rise again!

One of my dorfs has somehow died. There was no combat report or anything. In a backup that I checked, he was having some problems with his lungs. :(
Pages: 1 ... 3425 3426 [3427] 3428 3429 ... 3836