Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3426 3427 [3428] 3429 3430 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5840136 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51405 on: December 29, 2017, 09:42:03 pm »

He got served one too many drink in the tavern and drowned in his vomit. Dwarf with lung damage = alcohol poisoning.
You can prevent this by not assigning any tavern keepers or performers to taverns.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51406 on: December 29, 2017, 09:45:22 pm »

He got served one too many drink in the tavern and drowned in his vomit. Dwarf with lung damage = alcohol poisoning.
You can prevent this by not assigning any tavern keepers or performers to taverns.
But where's the fun in that, eh?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51407 on: December 29, 2017, 10:09:42 pm »

How valuable is it? You might be able to trade it to the caravans for a profit.

It's worth all of 3500 dorf-bucks, complete with menacing spikes of cave spider silk and an image of a smooth stone.

I might offer it our mountain home.

Though I'm not sure how well the king would enjoy wearing a crown covered in cobwebs.  :P
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:33:52 pm by Urist McWaffles »

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51408 on: December 29, 2017, 10:16:06 pm »

well, due to lack of metal ores and fuel, I've decide that the little raw ore we do have shall be used for stone purposes (though I keep a little bit of bars and blocks for moody dwarves after my legendary bone carver when insane due to not have them)
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51409 on: December 30, 2017, 04:40:32 am »

Migrants that are married can now be same sex couples.  We need an option in the civ definition or dwarf definition files to either allow or disallow such happenings. Perhaps an option to tell a migrant they are not wanted and please go away.

I'm going for a 400+ dwarf fort, and WANT children, caps set to (100,50) for the children limit. 

These two dwarves have had all their labors removed.

AFIK dwarves never remarry after spouse is killed so these two have removed themselves from the gene pool, and I'm not going to let them use up valuable skill training time and materials.  Well I could put them into a two person squad for wrestlers and send them out to recover an artifact weapon or two, but that violates my ethics on the military,  looks like burrowing them on the far side of the map to draw invaders to them will be the use my civilization gets from them. The best I can hope for from them is to delay the invasion to allow the more reproductive members of my fort to run to safety. If either is able to kill a goblin, then they will be accepted into the fort, (civ values martial prowess +50 ).

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51410 on: December 30, 2017, 07:20:47 am »

Migrants that are married can now be same sex couples.  We need an option in the civ definition or dwarf definition files to either allow or disallow such happenings.
I think that's been a thing for a while now.

While there isn't a d_init option for it, as convenient as it would be, its still easy enough to remove with notepad++, since there are orientation tokens that you can use.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51411 on: December 30, 2017, 05:18:38 pm »

Oh, awesome. One of my fort's first (and last) 8 immigrants has been promoted to duke, of another fortress. I have two dukes now.
Double mandate time, this will go well with my prison therapy system. She likes quivers and animal traps, shouldn't be too hard to ignore.
She's also one of the fort's five 1st generation breeders. I should upgrade their clan's name, and bedrooms, and get one of her kids married to preserve the bloodline.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51412 on: December 30, 2017, 07:48:46 pm »

There is a never-ending stream of foreign scholars come to visit my library.

My fort's economy now revolves around agriculture to produce the paper and food products that our fort needs. Alcohol & prepared meals, with the meals forming the bulk of our exports, buying every metal good the caravans bring, and an ever-expanding library complex, with scores of tomes produced for export.

The library has 80 desks&chairs, and they are fully occupied most times of the day.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51413 on: December 30, 2017, 08:22:09 pm »

Oh now this is interesting. A party of armed dwarfs are visiting the tavern. One of them is carrying an artifact. They are here to relax, and to ask questions, about the location of various artifacts.

I'm guessing they're from one of the nearby dwarf settlements, having been sent out on a raid to recover artifacts stolen by one of the other civilisations.

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51414 on: December 30, 2017, 08:32:16 pm »

Horray! My civilisation is no longer dead.

In other news, the merchants that arrived in the first caravan have become all become barons of ruined settlements. I wonder where they went, my queen is here already.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51415 on: December 30, 2017, 09:14:02 pm »

Suddenly my FPS dropped from 71 to 45 for no apparent reason.

After carefully tracing back my last steps in my mind, I managed to isolate the cause of the lag.

It doesn't make sense.

I have a 3x3 hole dug out 1 level below the surface, with a channel in the middle on the surface. It is going to be my surface magma garbage dump once my magma pumpstack is finished.
In it, I built a 3x3 raising bridge, as a means to manually drain the magma out if I ever need to.

Now, if the bridge is raised, the single tile in the middle that has a channel over it will start to grow grass, due to being exposed to sunlight.
For some reason it also drops my FPS to 45.
If I lower the bridge, and cover the grass tile, my FPS drops to 45. If I raise it, it goes back up to max.

Makes no sense at all. It's not even a place that an be pathed to, it's sealed off from any path.
Why does a single tile growing grass under a bridge cause so much lags?

Or can't a bridge handle being 8 tiles inside and 1 middle tile outside perhaps?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:17:12 pm by martinuzz »

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51416 on: December 31, 2017, 12:21:19 am »

just found what appears to be an ancient epic battle  between a tribe of batpeople and a giant bat, there's 5 batpeople blow gunner skeletons laid around with a giant bat skeleton in the middle with some spears inside it
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51417 on: December 31, 2017, 03:30:26 pm »

A performance troupe visited and petitioned for residence. I was glad to accept - now we finally have prospective elven citizens, too! We already have goblin and human citizens, a human is the local duke. Goblin citizens gradually get unhappy from lack of booze and pleasant meals, which is just dandy since they never eat and will only drink if forced by tavern staff.

I found it a bit strange that the goblin and elven members of the troupe instantly swarmed the clothier's shop - as it turned out they arrived stark naked. The same happened with the next (not accepted) troupe: the humans were clothed, elves, goblins and dwarfs not. I suspect the game tried to provide same-size clothing for everyone, taking the humans as standard for unknown reasons.

One elven poet carried a scroll with her proudest achievement:
"Blindness: The Future Mourns"
A raven man parchment scroll containing the composition of the same name. "The work has no particular subject. For lyrics, the composer has selected Cinnamon Profanities. Overall, the composition is atrocious."
Does this suggest the composition is so bad you'll claw your eyes out? Either that's vogon-grade music, or dwarfs just don't appreciate other civs' (human?) art.

In other news, the humans have definitely run out of useful books. This year, they brought another ten copies of "Tuco Woodmurders: A Brief Introduction" and no other texts.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51418 on: December 31, 2017, 07:21:47 pm »

New evil embark.
Within moments it starts raining horrid slime.
Everyone instantly falls unconscious.
Two giant snowy owls fall from the sky exploding on impact.

This should be fun.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51419 on: December 31, 2017, 08:33:31 pm »

Obsidian tower sticking out from the side of a volcano: done! https://imgur.com/a/R8KCk
Pages: 1 ... 3426 3427 [3428] 3429 3430 ... 3836