Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3427 3428 [3429] 3430 3431 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857520 times)

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51420 on: December 31, 2017, 09:19:33 pm »

The human caravan brought a scroll authored by one of my nicknamed dwarfs, one of the first wave of immigrants. "The world of the Postulates" concerns axiomatic reasoning. This is very odd because she doesn't see the attainment of knowledge as important.

Another of my nicknamed dwarfs was ambushed by a werelizard and killed before anyone could react. The axe squad got revenge easily enough. Now I have to make a coffin and engrave a slab (I always do both where possible) for 'Useless' Onoltorad.

A third nicknamed dwarf is flashing a red downward arrow. Apparently under a lot of stress. I'm trying everything I can to make life better for him. Now I am trying to release him and his husband from duties in the hope that they can enjoy some time together in their bedroom. I don't have much hope though, because of his personality. He is never cheerful about anything, cracks easily under pressure, and his dream of raising a family is fated to be dashed.*EDIT* I just gave him the new nickname 'Gloomy'

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 09:30:38 pm by lazygun »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51421 on: January 01, 2018, 01:05:11 am »

By chance, I just happened to collapse my 8000 block clay pancake down 10 Z levels just as a flock of giant parakeets were flying overhead. The massive cloud of dust enveloped them all, knocked them all unconscious, and sent the entire flock crashing down to the bottom of the giant hole I'd just finished digging, where they all died on impact.

It's a pretty unconventional way of hunting, and one I probably won't attempt again... but I was grinning from ear to ear when I figured out what had happened
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51422 on: January 01, 2018, 11:48:30 am »

Hurray, a 5 man strong performance troupe just petitioned for semi-residency. I was beginning to fear they were somehow broken in my fort, as performing troupes came and went over the years but never petitioned. But yay, now I have two elf residents. Now all I lack is a goblin.

EDIT: it's 5 poets, I think I attracted a acapella rap group
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:50:17 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51423 on: January 01, 2018, 03:01:48 pm »

five necromancers arrived, with 60 animated corpse followers.

my marksdrows shot the necromancers, while my swordsdrows literally carved their way through the undead hordes. 8 wounded drows, no dead.

Got a big pile of metal armour and weapons to melt down now.
And a big pile of elf & dwarf & human sized clothing, which my guests and visiting scholars will surely love !

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51424 on: January 01, 2018, 09:29:49 pm »

Geesh, I think my dwarf got it's strange mood from Ikea. It took him a whole dwarfmonth to put together that aluminum bed.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51425 on: January 01, 2018, 09:47:52 pm »

Geesh, I think my dwarf got it's strange mood from Ikea. It took him a whole dwarfmonth to put together that aluminum bed.
aluminum WHAT?!
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51426 on: January 01, 2018, 10:08:49 pm »

How to get beds out of other materials: Find a dwarf that likes beds (and no other furniture, or other item preferences). Make sure it has metalsmithing (metal beds), masonry/engraving/mining (rock beds), glassmaking (glass beds), or gemcutting/gem setting (gem beds) as highest skill before a mood strikes, and voila, you have your bed that's not made of wood.
Metal and rock moods do allow for other preferences than beds, as long as it's not furniture, because those moods will always result in furniture items.

Speaking of beds, my map has me in a constant state of chuckling for giving me suguaros. My dwarves are forced to sleep on suguaro rib beds. Prickly.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 10:12:13 pm by martinuzz »

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51427 on: January 02, 2018, 01:01:47 am »

How to get beds out of other materials: Find a dwarf that likes beds (and no other furniture, or other item preferences). Make sure it has metalsmithing (metal beds), masonry/engraving/mining (rock beds), glassmaking (glass beds), or gemcutting/gem setting (gem beds) as highest skill before a mood strikes, and voila, you have your bed that's not made of wood.
Metal and rock moods do allow for other preferences than beds, as long as it's not furniture, because those moods will always result in furniture items.

Speaking of beds, my map has me in a constant state of chuckling for giving me suguaros. My dwarves are forced to sleep on suguaro rib beds. Prickly.

wow....

anyway, in my fortress, a bard arrived with a codex called "understanding the forest retreat" authored by the same bard, it concerns understanding elves and there homes....by the way, this is a dwarf bard, not a human/goblin/elf one
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #51428 on: January 02, 2018, 06:16:47 am »

Be magmaminous towards his message.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51429 on: January 02, 2018, 08:59:40 am »

I've gaydar'd all dwarves in my fort. Out of 45 dwarves, only 14 can get married (and have, except two starting seveners who are lovers but don't seem to want to get married despite spending hours in the dating booth). Sexual orientation isn't the problem though, it's just that most dwarves are heterosexual (There's two bisexuals and two homosexuals), but they only have the 'likes (fe)males' tag, and not the 'will marry' tag.

Is there anything in the raws that I can alter next world to make dwarves just a bit prone to marrying?

EDIT: in other news, crossbows sure are popular with the spirits. All 4 dwarves that didn't have any interesting preferences, and thus were primed for random weapon moods made a crossbow. I have 5 artefact steel crossbows and 1 platinum crossbow now (two were primed from dwarves that like crossbows)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:34:09 am by martinuzz »

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51430 on: January 02, 2018, 09:34:37 am »

I've gaydar'd all dwarves in my fort. Out of 45 dwarves, only 14 can get married (and have, except two starting seveners who are lovers but don't seem to want to get married despite spending hours in the dating booth). Sexual orientation isn't the problem though, it's just that most dwarves are heterosexual (There's two bisexuals and two homosexuals), but they only have the 'likes (fe)males' tag, and not the 'will marry' tag.

Is there anything in the raws that I can alter next world to make dwarves just a bit prone to marrying?

yes.

in the dwarf creature definition file, you can throw in an ORIENTATION token to override the defaults.

In the bit where it defines the male caste, add tokens like:
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:5:5:90][ORIENTATION:MALE:90:5:5]
And in the bit where it defines the female dwarf caste, add:
[ORIENTATION:MALE:5:5:90][ORIENTATION:FEMALE:90:5:5]

this will make a female dwarf for example, be 90% likely to want to marry a male dwarf, 5% likely to want a male lover but remain unmarried, 5% likely to be uninterested in male dwarfs, and 5% likely to want to marry a female dwarf, 5% likely to take a female lover, and 90% likely to be uninterested in female dwarfs.

The defaults are 75:20:5 for same sex, 5:20:75 for opposite, for the disinterested/likes/will marry. The numbers don't really matter, they don't have to add up to any particular value, but it's easier to use ones that add up to 100 for explanation purposes.

You can also try using DFHack to alter things in existing games, make them more likely to marry that way.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51431 on: January 02, 2018, 10:19:24 am »

You know this bug where sparring dwarves in a barracks can dodge / charge through a single tile of wall?
Last time it cost me a ragequit when two of my founding 7 ended up in my well reservoir that way.

I am now trying to abuse it. One side of my barracks has a single tile wall with a 2 z-level drop on the other side.
Have had two accidents happen so far, sadly none serious enough to train my medics.
My most important dwarves aren't sparring there though, unfortunate accidents can happen with 2 z-level drops, albeit rare.

EDIT: hahahaha. Apparently magma can ignite caravan wagons that pass over it, even though there is a ramp and a dirt wall in between. Savescum time, there's burning horses everywhere. I'll have to build an extra wall in between the ramp and the magma channel.

EDIT2: my wish has been granted. A second performing troupe asked for stay. One is a goblin. All races present now.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:16:19 pm by martinuzz »

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51432 on: January 02, 2018, 12:19:39 pm »

Very little work is being done in my fort, I feel.

The library is always full of citizens reading the many books that visiting scholars come and write.

But the workshops, forges, furnaces stand idle.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51433 on: January 02, 2018, 08:01:59 pm »

omg.

an Emu appeared, attacked and killed someone's pet spider, earning itself a name.

in vengeance, I have sent my marksdrows after the terrifying monster Ipanaracenu, Emu.

They've chased the emu all over our side of the river, and now it's evaded all the traps, and it's got into the fort itself, and is running amok, being chased by like, every citizen that has caught sight of it.

They're not fast enough to catch it, and it's running all through the fort.

I can barely breathe watching this, it's so hilarious.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51434 on: January 02, 2018, 08:28:39 pm »

Dug my first piece of adamantine. Before I could extract a thread, a child went fey and created a raw adamantine amulet. Well, at least it's worth 650k dwarfbucks.

EDIT: in other news, I shouldn't drink beer and play DF. I named my two elves Pointy Gears and Pointy Earmuffs. Obviously, they're a mechanic and a clothier. They're in a squad called the Pointy Spears.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:32:59 pm by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 3427 3428 [3429] 3430 3431 ... 3836