Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3433 3434 [3435] 3436 3437 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862062 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51510 on: January 10, 2018, 06:50:15 pm »

My giant war elephant breeding program is nearing completion. It is magnificent (or well, a tiny bit magnificent). A grand total of 7 giant elephants which take 10 years to mature, and no more have been born, I guess 7 is the max :(

Still, I SHALL have 7 war giant elephants, and if Armok wills it, they shall destroy my fortress by standing on a bridge that needs raising!

Next war animal: Jabberers. I just need a male. Female already happily laying eggs. Didn't know they were trainable.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Saladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51511 on: January 10, 2018, 06:58:27 pm »

A cave crocodile managed to walk past my military squads guarding the cave entrances, and walk all the way into the middle of my fort without bothering anyone. It tore a visiting scholar limb from limb and then wandered around in my main hall for a while, minding its own business (until I sicced some soldiers on it). I wonder what that scholar did, it seemed rather docile apart from that incident.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51512 on: January 10, 2018, 08:20:50 pm »

One of my starting seven just made a bone bracelet artefact, and claimed it in the name of his family ancestor.

Except, you silly dwarf, it's not your ancestor, it's your WIFE!
Don't let her hear that.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51513 on: January 10, 2018, 09:00:26 pm »

There was war.
It was a bloodbath.

Hundred of gob filth were annihilated and burn in their masters' hell.
Ten brave dwarves left that world and are dining in dwarven Heaven.

The fortress won, the fortress endures.
And cleaning that big mess is nearly a mega project :D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:04:28 pm by Robsoie »

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51514 on: January 10, 2018, 09:27:41 pm »

Know what's worse than having your dorfs dodge out of their barracks?

Having goblins dodge into your fortifications.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51515 on: January 11, 2018, 07:47:30 am »

What do you guys use to post pictures nowadays? I used to use photobucket, but we all know where that went :P
Unsure what to use now.

EDIT: test

EDIT: how do I get it to post a picture instead of a link? Found it

Yay, magma moat done. Preparing for silly dodges ending in flaming misery.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've been wanting to show my ultra-compact quantum organic material workshops setup.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:04:30 am by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51516 on: January 11, 2018, 08:21:24 am »

And cleaning that big mess is nearly a mega project :D
This is why I usually turn off invasions until I have enough workforce to deal with the clutter.
That, or just mark everything for dumping, and autodump destroy the lot.

EDIT: And there was great rejoicing

EDIT: hurray! The bard husband I turned away earlier has returned, and petitioned again! Now all we need is the lost son.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:40:07 am by martinuzz »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51517 on: January 11, 2018, 12:25:16 pm »

A forgotten beast came, an alligator with wings and webs. Managed to kill one of my swordmasters, unfortunately - one of the earliest members of my military as well, was sad to see him go. The beast died after a stab to the head, thankfully.
Of course, when I thought I could relax and rebuild, this popped up.

I want to die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51518 on: January 11, 2018, 12:50:39 pm »

A Cave dragon!!! I thought those were restricted to evil biomes, but apparently I was wrong! I hope I find it a mate!

OH! And and a GCS!! Yay!! Finally, I was starting to fear my embark didn't get any.

EDIT: an elf poet came carrying a book that 'concerns the Mechanical Helm' and 'covers the making of Fondledtrench the Shady Strangeness into a symbol of the mayor by the Mechanical Helman unknown creature in 227'

something didn't go right there. The an stuck to Helm in the last sentence is not a typo on my behalf, it's what it's like in the book's description.
Some Shady Strangeness indeed.

EDIT: I accepted their 4 man troupe. This brings my population to 41, which is one over my cap. I guess what I have now is what I'm going to be playing with until someone dies.
Let's see. 32 dwarves, 1 goblin, 2 humans, and 5 elves. Should be fine. Perhaps I'll accept one more lone goblin if it shows, but so far I've only seen elves and this single goblin as part of performing troupes.
Even with the magma sea still refilling from my pumping efforts, my FPS is still at max (72). Except when the caravans come and bug it out to a stuttering 20 for a dwarfmonth, but I am starting to get used to that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:11:06 pm by martinuzz »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51519 on: January 11, 2018, 01:11:40 pm »

A gruelling battle took place - some of my pet animals died, and two members of the ranged squad lost their un-lifes as well. A swordmaster took a hit and lost his hand - another person that I have to replace. The militia captain of the ranged squad is also severly injured - no missing limbs, but much of her body was slashed open.

However, even gods may die. A well-placed blow to the head knocked it unconscious, at which point it was a simple matter to disfigure its body until it breathed no more. Undercity endures!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51520 on: January 11, 2018, 01:47:07 pm »

there are now 3 Forgotten Beasts chilling out on map edges of 2 separate caverns.

Time to send the PEasant with a pickaxe to lure them into a secure holding facility (pending zoo creation)
Good luck with that. You've got to get really close to an FB for them to even react with the current pathing bug.

I nabbed the first one with only a few dog deaths (chained up in series to lure it into its current bridge-cage) and one dwarf-death (died while mining the FB a line of sight to the first few dogs).

For some reason the first FB that is currently caged has left a doggo alone that was/is about 7 tiles away, despite having aggroed against stuff farther away than that before.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51521 on: January 11, 2018, 01:51:37 pm »

My tavern does look somewhat foreign when all my dwarves are busy doing stuff.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #51522 on: January 11, 2018, 02:15:23 pm »

Extradite.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51523 on: January 11, 2018, 03:32:18 pm »

Trash incineration tube is operational.  8)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51524 on: January 11, 2018, 04:20:18 pm »

Okay this is pretty cool, a visiting marksdwarf just petitioned for sanctuary in my fort. He is holding an artifact dwarf bone coffin in his hand, called Covereddecays (very fitting). I suppose this is what sanctuary is about? People wanting to hide in the fort with their artifact, because people are chasing it? Now that I approved his sanctuary, it's likely I'll get questers looking for him and his artifact, possibly sending sieges to reclaim it. Fun!

More confirmation of this, as another visitor (macedwarf) petitioned sanctuary with an artifact mug. I refused that one.

Sanctuary petitions = "Hide me, they want my artifact!"

Edit: After those two artifact-wielding sanctuary requests I got one without an artifact - so it might not just be that!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:31:10 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 3433 3434 [3435] 3436 3437 ... 3836