Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3437 3438 [3439] 3440 3441 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861812 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51570 on: January 17, 2018, 01:28:52 pm »

My gemcarver just mooded and made a artefact ruby chain.
Would that have any special uses, like being able to chain a building destroyer to, or do building destroyers ignore chains anyways?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Oriolous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51571 on: January 17, 2018, 02:40:43 pm »

Whelp, I'm back after a few years of absence. So I'm about to start my fort, and as I always feel in Dwarf Fortress: I'm mildly panicking over the things I always suck at setting up: namely textiles and now papermaking.

...this'll be fun.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51572 on: January 17, 2018, 03:04:46 pm »

I wanted some new building materials for the chests in the library. Metal is to precious and stone is too boring. I finally decided to delve into the caverns for that sweet tutti fruity colored timber.

Of course, there's a forgotten beast to contend with...

So I dug an access tunnel from a specific spot in the fort, built a drawbridge, attached it to a lever, broke in and waited...

My troops stood around while the terrible pterosaur frolicked in the subterranean ponds, even as dwarves wandered in to collect webs and start hewing down the enormous fungi. Finally it started moving toward them, so I sent out a couple squads (just in case, it was a secreting beast) and before I knew an axe lord had decapitated the thing up a tree, where its remains shall remain.

Cave #1 is opened, and cave 3 will be breached when I get around to it.

That was remarkably easy.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51573 on: January 17, 2018, 03:55:02 pm »

Whelp, I'm back after a few years of absence. So I'm about to start my fort, and as I always feel in Dwarf Fortress: I'm mildly panicking over the things I always suck at setting up: namely textiles and now papermaking.

...this'll be fun.

Don't worry. Trust me, I take 1-2 year breaks as well in between major updates. I always feel like you do before I install and start the game. But it all comes back to you in no time, no worry.

EDIT: nice to see careful mood prepping pay off
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:06:02 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51574 on: January 18, 2018, 01:27:58 am »

Apparently 1-year-old Dwarven Children can have Fell Moods. And actually nearly kill a guy. The funny thing is the guy the kid nearly killed was the Captain of the Guard, already a Crippled Badass (crippled because most of her foot was destroyed fighting a Titan and her ability to grasp in one hand was partially compromised during a fight with a werebuffalo.) She's Badass (besides being my fort's best swordsmaster) not because she killed it, but because she survived fighting it. That werebuffalo mowed through 5 militiadwarves with ease and couldn't land a hit except the one that hurt her hand. Then it transformed back into a human and she ran him about of town for the second time. (The first time she was just a woodcutter with a battleaxe who happened to be on the scene in time to run the human out again).
Anyway, I'm not sure if I wanna try to stitch the kid's fingers back together into ten pieces before I put them back on. Or if I should reappoint a hammerer and let the kid have it.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51575 on: January 18, 2018, 01:28:56 am »

SWEET SHIT.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51576 on: January 18, 2018, 02:41:47 am »

SWEET SHIT.
It's a fine art to get a dwarf to mood just right to get those menacing spikes of llama wool...

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51577 on: January 18, 2018, 02:55:15 am »

My fort is currently under siege by five zombies. May not seem like much, but they're armed and it was just before the first caravan. I got all my dwarves inside with a quick burrow and a military alert, walled of the entrance, and watched as pretty much everyone died of dehydration because I held off on making a well. I'm down to three dwarves now.

Not all bad though. I got a still running so we have plenty of booze, dug a tunnel to the brook for the well, and with any luck that mysterious fire that popped up will take care of the siege.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51578 on: January 18, 2018, 03:10:16 am »

It's a fine art to get a dwarf to mood just right to get those menacing spikes of llama wool...
Dem llama dreds be crusty mon

EDIT:
I have upgraded to 44.05. It looks like it fixed the seasonal diplomat lag/stutter. At least, the elf diplomat is not causing lag. Still have to wait and see if the human and dwarf diplomat lags are fixed too.
Upgrading did break one of my dwarves in a weird way though. One of my starting 7, the broker, was stuck in a pink socializing / listen to poetry loop forever. Wouldn't even stop it to trade at depot.
Assigning her to the tavern as performer did entice her to serve drinks, and recite poetry, after which for now she seems to have snapped out of it.

If this lag stays fixed, I am really happy. My 40 citizen / 16 visitors / couple of dozen of roaming pets fort, with breached caverns, and breached and pumped magma, at 24 years of age is at 67 out of max 72 FPS without caravans, 58 when caravans are there. Diplomats used to drop my FPS and GFPS to 19 for as long as the diplomat stayed on map.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:17:48 am by martinuzz »

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51579 on: January 18, 2018, 07:33:08 am »

I think my current fort may have the liaison bug. Liaison shows up with the caravan, heads straight to the bar and stays there until the caravan departs. No attempts to meet with my mayor, no making requests of the capital (and I could really use a few bins of leather), nothing.

I suspect it may have developed from the death of an ex-pat baron when a caravan was in port, causing the liaison to leave in a huff. Since then, he won’t talk to my mayor and it doesn’t look like I’m getting a baron of my own (and I’ve a perfect candidate! They like rutherer bone and earrings). I’ve switched the mayor a few times to clear out any hidden queue, reassigned and fancied up their office, removed all they mayor's tasks but no luck.

ETA: in addition, I’m not getting any petitions either - there's nearly 100 visitors on my recreation level, most of which have been there for 3-4 years, and nada.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:23:50 pm by Monomstodir »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51580 on: January 18, 2018, 08:10:55 am »

Fail. My moody dwarf made an adamantine right gauntlet. I already have that, I need a left one. Sadly, there's no more primed armorsmiths with gauntlet or random preference, so I guess I won't see a left gauntlet until dwarves start dying and new children are born.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #51581 on: January 18, 2018, 10:33:47 am »

...this'll be fun.

I came back last month or so, I still am struggling with papermaking and scholars.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Boochdizzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51582 on: January 18, 2018, 08:19:33 pm »

I departed on an evil/good biome for the first time, and I think that while reanimation only happens on the evil side of the map, near-instant rotting is happening everywhere! Doesnt help that I used an embark profile with tons of war dogs to protect me from zombies... full on puppysplosion, and butchering them just leads to awful rotten puppy bits chasing me around my fort!!! Im realizing I have to go vegan now, but I think merchant animals keep knocking my lady critters up when they visit, because Im still drowning in new animals that I dont dare butcher every year despite a gelding spree...

Magma pump is just about finished, at which point Im planning on just melting all the pups in their pasture and turning it into a nice farm :)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51583 on: January 18, 2018, 09:11:20 pm »

After some more gob invasion utterly destroyed by my rather powerful by now military (several legendary dwarves now) , the death toll has increased again

I guess it is starting to be well known in the world that this place is really dangerous as even migrants are taking note of it :

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51584 on: January 18, 2018, 09:21:19 pm »

have a echidna who apparently needs help, I have 3 pages of it curling and uncurling....
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it
Pages: 1 ... 3437 3438 [3439] 3440 3441 ... 3836