Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3438 3439 [3440] 3441 3442 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861072 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51585 on: January 18, 2018, 09:35:18 pm »

Just noticed that elves and humans lack the 'needs alcohol to get through the working day'. Goblins do share that trait with dwarves though.

So if you want to run a fort of necromancers or vampires, and don't want them to slow down due to not having had a drink (although taverns with tavern keepers can help too), you should get humans or elves to turn into vamps or necromancers.
Elves have an added benefit of not dying of old age, so you could train them up for a few hundred years before applying the vamp stat boost.

slightly related, it does make me wonder. If you would get an intelligent egg-laying species-man resident, and turn that into a vamp, would it be sterile, or does the vamp neutering perhaps not include egg-laying?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:38:50 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51586 on: January 18, 2018, 09:55:26 pm »

Been a while since I played this game, and I think this fort has reached point where I can happily retire it. Got a few big megaprojects built, got the security about where I want it, feel like the dwarves are generally satisfied with their lot in life.

The duchess' love affair with bins is rather irksome, but the place is so self-sufficient that it doesn't really need to trade anymore.

I guess I feel kind of accomplished. Also, I really lucked out with the starting biome, aesthetically. That 30+ z level waterfall really is something.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12778-torchroar

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51587 on: January 18, 2018, 10:04:57 pm »

Still don't get why I am not getting monster hunters or mercenaries in this fort. I've left the cavern entrance open now for a few seasons, didn't bring any monster hunters to my fort. I only get performers. I get that I don't get scholars, because I don't have a visitor accepting library. But why no monster hunters and mercs, it is a mystery. Do those need a library too?

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51588 on: January 18, 2018, 10:24:56 pm »

Just noticed that elves and humans lack the 'needs alcohol to get through the working day'. Goblins do share that trait with dwarves though.
Are you sure about that? It's not in their raws. They don't even need to eat or drink in vanilla (although they will if handed a mug).

Maybe you've spotted a dwarf spy pretending to be a goblin? (Don't think that's supposed to be a thing either, but it's all a bit weird right now). Or maybe goblins just become alcoholics after hanging out in dwarven taverns for too long...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51589 on: January 18, 2018, 10:31:54 pm »

No, it's my goblin citizen has 'needs alcohol to get through the working day' in her thoughts and preferences screen. My elf and human citizens don't have it, but my goblin does.

EDIT: she also has the 'doesn't care about anything anymore' trait. Perhaps that induces alcohol-dependence?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:37:32 pm by martinuzz »

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51590 on: January 18, 2018, 10:33:31 pm »

Still don't get why I am not getting monster hunters or mercenaries in this fort. I've left the cavern entrance open now for a few seasons, didn't bring any monster hunters to my fort. I only get performers. I get that I don't get scholars, because I don't have a visitor accepting library. But why no monster hunters and mercs, it is a mystery. Do those need a library too?
Curious. I have been getting a ton of entertainers with the occasional monster hunter, but almost no generalized soldiers.

For a while, this was back in the old version with non-aggro Titans, and there was a firebreathing titan lurking on the edge of the map. Might be relevant?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51591 on: January 18, 2018, 10:38:21 pm »

No lurking megabeasts, invasions are off and haven't been on yet. The fort was started in 44.03 though.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51592 on: January 19, 2018, 06:31:27 am »

Apparently 1-year-old Dwarven Children can have Fell Moods. And actually nearly kill a guy.

Wait. So fell moods can actually fail because the moody dwarf can't kill their victim? I thought that was an automatic 100% kill every time.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51593 on: January 19, 2018, 06:41:22 am »

have a echidna who apparently needs help, I have 3 pages of it curling and uncurling....
That will happen when a mob of dwarfs run out to fetch logs and begin passing by the echidna. It freaks out constantly.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51594 on: January 19, 2018, 08:02:55 am »

Apparently 1-year-old Dwarven Children can have Fell Moods. And actually nearly kill a guy.

Wait. So fell moods can actually fail because the moody dwarf can't kill their victim? I thought that was an automatic 100% kill every time.
Yeah I thought so too. It does kinda sound like made up and false info, especially since you say the kid is still alive. A failed mood will lead to a dead dwarf.

EDIT: that sounded a bit harsher than I intended. Let me rephrase it to 'are you sure it was a fell mood and not a brawl'?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:18:13 am by martinuzz »

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51595 on: January 19, 2018, 11:10:17 am »

That forgotten beast was a pushover. Though I'm proud that the hammerdwarf who had a fancy name when he joined got to add it to the notches in his belt. He promptly named his hammer shortly afterward. Rock on, Arabe Shimmeredchanced the Distant Bride of Trading, wielder of The Taut Fountain, an exceptional steel war hammer.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51596 on: January 19, 2018, 10:05:24 pm »

Have an interesting fort running wherein 75% of the population are monster hunters patrolling the caverns endlessly. The first cavern has a weresalamander infestation that has claimed the lives of something like 20 monster hunters and one legendary stonecrafter, including one called Heartcraters which killed at least 8 before being killed by a hammerdwarf lucky enough to run into it after it passed out fighting another dwarf. No weresalamander transformations yet, so I'm starting to think there may be something wrong with my raws I need to work out.

I unknowingly turned away a monster hunter who came to us whom had killed a hydra with an artifact warhammer. Ive been checking everyones inventory to see if they've killed anything of note or own an artifact before sending them away now.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51597 on: January 19, 2018, 11:07:05 pm »

After so many years of regular invasion, i decided to make a clean up of my troops, i mean those honored veteran that are full of nerve damage and unable to stand up have been replaced by new canon fodder, hoping all the legendary long time troopers will be able to train them in shape (odd that none of my legendary guys received a single wound for all their long career of destroying gobs and trolls filth)

Anyways, i made a new squad and filled it with all those doomed ... honored veterans i mean and decided to use it in raid mission.
Against the biggest gob dark fortress, that apparently has more than 6000 things in it.

It's been at least 10 missions they're raiding the place and every single time they left from the dark fortress because they "found nothing".
I wonder how is it possible they're not seeing all those +6000 enemies ... I hoped their good stats would make for great deed of war campaigning in those evil places, but it's rather depressing that instead it's full of "nothing"

edit : oh great, i sent a raid mission and when a few of the dwarves were starting to leave the map, a few capibara spawned at the same location, fight ensued for some reason, and now i have several dwarves stuck on trees and the fps is at ... 2 !
Yeah, the same old damned climb bug that cripple your fortress performance, fortunately i had a copy of a save (i do one regularly as i don't trust DF to not break the game due to its bugs) as it would take so insanely long at 2 fps to have those trees cut or ramps/stairs built.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:32:23 pm by Robsoie »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51598 on: January 19, 2018, 11:32:20 pm »

Raiders don't purposefully search for enemies, they're looking for stuff to steal (or specific artifacts, or prisoners). They probably 'didn't find anythning' because there are 6000 goblins in between them and the store rooms. Fights are incidental.

(Although Toady seems to be willing to add 'attack site' missions some time during this cycle).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:34:16 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51599 on: January 19, 2018, 11:37:11 pm »

A pity there's no glorious ending to be had then for that squad.
Pages: 1 ... 3438 3439 [3440] 3441 3442 ... 3836