Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3445 3446 [3447] 3448 3449 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5863057 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51690 on: February 03, 2018, 06:36:08 pm »

- I'm here to claim the treasure. I'm going to return it to it's rightful home.
- Oh, aye? Where's that then?
- An unknown building
- OK...

The weird thing is, that the person "Kib Bitewound" died 11 years ago, before my fort was even made. So how could this quester, who started his journey "a week ago" request an artifact in Kib's name, an artifact that was made in my fort by one of my dwarves?
Did the artifact's original creator die? Is the original creator related to Kib in any way? It might have been inherited by someone descended from Kib. Alternatively, the elf is just lying/it's a bug.

Kib Bitewound is a cool name.

Not sure. It's possible that the dwarf who created this artifact in my fort is somehow related to Kib Bitewound (who is also a dwarf). It would take quite a bit of investigation.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51691 on: February 04, 2018, 09:35:53 am »

Heh, I already had the feeling yesterday that I didn't see an elf diplomat dialog pop up, despite getting the diplomat has arrived message.

Apparently it got stuck off map somehow. Looks like saving and exiting fixed that. I just fired up DF, and lo and behold, the elf diplomat is on map now, heading for a belated meeting with the mayor (it's early summer, didn't save and exit since spring)

Weird bug, but auto-fixes itself on save/load. Okay, cool.

EDIT: Heh, wut? One of my dwarves just grew up, and I looked at his profile.
"...likes red squirrel men for their tails, barley for their wine, the words of the Blossom of Periwinkels..."
Never seen a dwarf that likes a plant for it's product. Now I have.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:06:50 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51692 on: February 04, 2018, 10:44:57 am »

That's weird. How far away did the zombies come from? Had you been raiding their tower previously?

I'm actually not sure how far away the tower was, and don't have the world now so I can't check.  I didn't have a tower or town listed as a neighbor when embarking at least.

And no, I hadn't raided the tower before then.

It might have been something different entirely, since the zombies were led by a goblin.  As far as I could tell, the goblin wasn't a necromancer.  I have almost no experience with undead in DF since I haven't played in so long, but the goblin wasn't flashing with the nightcreature tile like the other zombies.  Do necromancers not do that?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

DemAvalon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51693 on: February 04, 2018, 11:51:33 am »

Hi, never posted anything here before, but I thought this was interesting:

so I just got attacked by a werebear that killed my entire fortress guard (it was 5 dwarves and they trained for maybe 2 months before it happened) they wounded it enough that it bleed to death, so I minding my business selecting dwarves to replace those that died (I have so many fisher dwarf...) when all of the sudden I get a message that someone was found dead... I'm like "what?, who is this?" then I follow the announcement and it leads to a staffdwarf (part of a mod) visitor in my tavern, I check the combat reports, but there is nothing about him, I use dfhack to find out the cause of death, he suffocated, there is a pile of vomit underneath him, so the only theory that I have is that he got so drunk that he passed out and choked on his own vomit... can this kind of thing even happen?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #51694 on: February 04, 2018, 12:02:19 pm »

so I just got attacked by a werebear that killed my entire fortress guard (it was 5 dwarves and they trained for maybe 2 months before it happened) they wounded it enough that it bleed to death, so I minding my business selecting dwarves to replace those that died (I have so many fisher dwarf...) when all of the sudden I get a message that someone was found dead... I'm like "what?, who is this?" then I follow the announcement and it leads to a staffdwarf (part of a mod) visitor in my tavern, I check the combat reports, but there is nothing about him, I use dfhack to find out the cause of death, he suffocated, there is a pile of vomit underneath him, so the only theory that I have is that he got so drunk that he passed out and choked on his own vomit... can this kind of thing even happen?
Yes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51695 on: February 04, 2018, 01:21:56 pm »

Trying to clear a backlog of giant elephant ivory, teeth and skulls is taking forever. Giant elephant ivory, teeth, skulls and bones are all too heavy/large to be put into minecarts, so they are clogging up my quantum dump input piles, and, subsequently, starting to CLT my butcher shop badly. (Same goes for Giant elephant meat stacks and roasts crafted from them. Giant elephants are just .. massive.)
Just exported well over 500 ivory and tooth crafts to the dwarves, still more to come.

EDIT:
I just had my fort's very first brawl (in 32 fort years). One of my fort's youngest dwarves, that had just grown up two seasons ago, decided to get into a fight with my goblin hammerer.
And got punched to death. By a goblin fist. Despite wearing a masterpiece steel helm. Force bent neck, tearing a tendon in the upper spine. This new force mechanc is a bit OP.
She will not be missed, let's hope she's replaced with a male child, a fresh breeding pair can't hurt (My dwarves reach adulthood at age 5, so a new baby can still age in time to marry one my currently 4 and 5 year old youngest dwarves.)

<cehcking>  yes, the goblin was drunk. Which is good. He needs alcohol to get through the working day, but rarely gets served a drink, since my tavern is on a strict 2 staff, 2 goblets policy.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:25:35 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51696 on: February 04, 2018, 02:35:06 pm »

Correct, alcohol can be deadly. Alcohol's syndrome include personality changes, nausea, dizziness, unconsciousness and paralysis of lungs/breathing.

Enough alcohol will cause paralysis of the lungs for a long enough time to cause suffocation, which simulates "choking in your own vomit". If you have a tavern, with many visitors, and have a tavern keeper(s) which serve alcohol around, you will get corpses every now and then, though majority of them will be human+elf+goblin visitors (dwarf deaths are rare).

Dwarf personalities matter a lot in this as well, some of them drink harder than others.

And got punched to death. By a goblin fist. Despite wearing a masterpiece steel helm. Force bent neck, tearing a tendon in the upper spine. This new force mechanc is a bit OP.

Yeah it is unbalanced atm. Punches to toes or fingers can cause twisting damage that rips the muscles in the arms or legs, punches to head can rip spinal nerves and kill etc.
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51697 on: February 04, 2018, 08:55:34 pm »

A semi-wild Crundle reverted to a wild state while it was being dragged in for butchering.
It was "overcome by terror" until it was butchered.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51698 on: February 04, 2018, 09:11:41 pm »

Duskmetals continues apace for the story. Two dwarves dead -  a Planter whom I really don't know why they were out and about away from the tavern, and one of the soldiers sent to kill a boreworm and it's pet mindless beast, the later of which had crushed the planter's head. Both were lady dwarves who left their spouses behind - a widow and widower. Might enlist one of them to replace the dead lesbian dwarf; poor girl got a bite-latch by the boreworm which proceeded to basically tear her head off (many torn arties and nervous system damage) before finishing her off by headbutting her head so hard it collapsed into a lump of gore.

And the sad part is those sorts of casualties will continue because I don't have any armor-grade metals on the map to make helmets with and only silver for weapons, barring imports. Gonna have to bank of my dwarves being fast enough to kill the target before they take a serious injury. On the upside, I can have the miners dig up more marble for my keep by digging out a bunch of tomb space, and a temple to go above the catacombs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51699 on: February 05, 2018, 09:14:02 am »

Grrrr. Finally, a male dwarf born, after 8 females.
Sadly, of the three female dwarves within age range for marrying this new spawn, one is asexual, the other gay, and the third killed by a brawling goblin.
I guess I need to up my strict pop cap if I want a next generation breeders. Or just wait for dwarves to start croaking.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51700 on: February 05, 2018, 01:41:43 pm »

Goblin siege with some elven recruits. 600 and counting. Unfortunately they entered from the evil mountain side and got caught in the vile sludge rain which boils off everyone's skin within a thousand ticks or so. Before long it will be a goblin husk siege. FPS is 1.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51701 on: February 05, 2018, 01:49:21 pm »

My catacombs keep growing because of tavern brawl deaths, sieges, monster slayers getting ganged, etc. Naturally expanding when more space is needed, resulting in this look.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It has family tombs, casket slots in the walls, random rooms and corridors etc. Like something under Paris. I'm going to make some skeleton statues and other fluff place them in there next.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51702 on: February 05, 2018, 05:26:56 pm »

Late Winter 333, the year that shall henceforth be known as the Year of the Weeping Elves.
Much rejoicing was had, when the last block was put in place, denying those pesky trees access to MY SIDE OF THE RIVER.
And making it availabe for magma flooding without having to worry about creating buggy burned trees.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #51703 on: February 06, 2018, 05:47:54 am »

I'm lucky. I'm very damn lucky.
Blind embark near goblin dark fortress. Got this. It seems my embark bodyslammed huge goblin camp.  :P If i counted right, there are 16 tents, half of them made out of cave spider silk, 4 out of troll fur and 4 out of naked mole dog leather.
And some unluckyness: There 1000 govlins in the fortress insteade of 10000 and intimidatingly looking dark blue evil mist doesn't do ANYTHING.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:32:06 am by MCreeper »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51704 on: February 06, 2018, 08:43:20 pm »

My chief medical dwarf was sentenced to 5 hammerstrikes for failing a production mandate.
Since he's also a miner, I was slightly worried, since my miners and woodcutters are the only 4 dwarves in my fort not wearing full armor.
They only have a cloak and socks, can't be arsed to bother with more clothes.

The goblin hammerer decided to hit him in the unprotected head 5 times.
He got away with some scratches to the neck skin and fat from the blows bending the neck. The strikes themselves did only bruise.
My second diagnostician got some training.

Adamantine warhammers ftw. Don't fear dwarven justice.

EDIT: heh, my chief medical dwarf is wearing 30 trinkets. He's one of the starting 7, so he had 35 years to accumulate them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:45:23 pm by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 3445 3446 [3447] 3448 3449 ... 3836