Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3446 3447 [3448] 3449 3450 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789239 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51705 on: February 07, 2018, 10:38:10 am »

everyone died from dehydration. again. like in so many embarks before. i need to get my dorfs underground and get to the underground water faster.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #51706 on: February 07, 2018, 12:25:46 pm »

Just plant some plump helmets asap, set up a brewery, then Bob's your uncle. Set up a craftstation and churn out some cheap stone/wood trinkets, then trade them for alcohol if you're still under-drinked.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51707 on: February 07, 2018, 02:04:25 pm »

everyone died from dehydration. again. like in so many embarks before. i need to get my dorfs underground and get to the underground water faster.

Yeah u gotta start making alcohol, not water.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51708 on: February 07, 2018, 02:16:41 pm »

Or stop embarking without any drink in areas without some sort of surface water. And bring more miners.

A native platinum crown via possession, and I've done my math: I'm 15 levels away from having my tower towering over the woodlands. I think I'm gonna need A. more marble, and B. more masons to make the blocks...

Oba swarm attacked and beat the crap out of a stonecrafter, but nobody died. Wish i could say the same from those people before... Tombs are dug, temple smoothed, and now I just need the statues of this defunct civ's gods to finish it out so people can tend to their spiritual needs.

The lack of circus freak invasions has me concerned. Those freaks are planning something, i just know it.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51709 on: February 08, 2018, 04:55:36 am »

Or stop embarking without any drink in areas without some sort of surface water. And bring more miners.
[...]
i use nebulatrons embark profile. it has 2 miners and some barrels of booze, but maybe it has to be modified. i usually remove the anvil and take an additional axe, crossbow and pick and use the rest of the points for ammo.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51710 on: February 08, 2018, 09:24:46 am »

New fort. I am too busy (breaching the aquifer, making trade goods, digging to magma) to make a proper underground depot. Come the first caravan and...
* Urist McHauler cancels Bring Item to Depot: Interrupted by vulture     x20
* Urist McBroker cancels Trade at Depot: Interrupted by vulture 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51711 on: February 08, 2018, 06:26:38 pm »

[...]
i use nebulatrons embark profile. it has 2 miners and some barrels of booze, but maybe it has to be modified. i usually remove the anvil and take an additional axe, crossbow and pick and use the rest of the points for ammo.

Ditch the crossbow, axe, and and bolts, bring more booze and an extra miner; they can be used as an improvised militia in a pinch and mining will govern their effectiveness, unless you think you really need an extra woodcutter or axedwarf and an ineffectual marksman or hunter who'll waste more metal ammo than he uses effectively.

And of course if you haven't quite mastered tunneling straight for the caverns, probably best to embark somewhere with surface water at least for a season or two out of the year and bring a rope or the cloth to make one so you can build a temporary cistern underground with pond or river water during the warm season. Sorry if it seems like I'm making a bunch of rookie recommendations, it's just.... Dehydration doesn't really come up much in modern DF, unless you're playing one of the older ones where it was a major issue to deal with.

I also don't use embark profiles (closest is always bringing a small amount of metalworking supplies to outfit an early militia from some first-year vagrants,) so I have no idea who that is or what that profile has.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51712 on: February 08, 2018, 06:48:20 pm »

i changed it to 7 picks 1 axe 1 crossbow + ammo, some wood, the usual amount of meat and booze and it goes pretty well, embarking on a completely level mountain plateau with 0 trees and no water.
human caravan came and i'm almost finished with the defenses at the main entrance, got my main hall done and preparations for getting to the caverns are made. so far it looks successful :)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51713 on: February 08, 2018, 06:54:53 pm »

The crossbow still has me mystified, but meh. Still, at least you haven't died of dehydration!

Murdered the trio of adventurers. A second bunch showed up looking for a different artifact on the other side of a mountain range a week away - from the near side, probably closer to two weeks to get to the jackoff who has what they're after. unfortunately, I don't want to risk that the dwarves are from my civ (as the party consists of a human and two dwarves,) so i need to hope the broken visitor bug doesn't happen.

Two mindless beasts appeared, the humanoid caste of the Boreworm representing a larval host. Gonna have to do something about them double quick, lest I end up with another Stukos and Otira.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51714 on: February 08, 2018, 07:07:38 pm »

The crossbow still has me mystified, but meh. Still, at least you haven't died of dehydration!

Murdered the trio of adventurers. A second bunch showed up looking for a different artifact on the other side of a mountain range a week away - from the near side, probably closer to two weeks to get to the jackoff who has what they're after. unfortunately, I don't want to risk that the dwarves are from my civ (as the party consists of a human and two dwarves,) so i need to hope the broken visitor bug doesn't happen.

Two mindless beasts appeared, the humanoid caste of the Boreworm representing a larval host. Gonna have to do something about them double quick, lest I end up with another Stukos and Otira.
the profiles i was speaking of:

nebulatron - 2 Miners, Grower, Carpenter/Doctor, Hunter, Lumber/Craftsdwarf, and Cook/Brew
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

my changed embark profile
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DoctorDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51715 on: February 09, 2018, 12:10:54 am »

My mayor kept complaining that his bedroom, dining room and office were not of sufficient quality. Now the floors and walls are engraved with pictures of him being mutilated by creatures of the night. He seems to think the rooms are of sufficient splendor now.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51716 on: February 10, 2018, 10:32:45 am »

I am becoming a real fan of adamantine warhammer using hammerers. Five hammerstrikes are dealt out so much faster than a 100+ days jail time sentence, even if the occasional finger muscle gets ripped and needs suturing. Most hammerings do not result in injury though, adamantine warhammers have trouble even scratching bare skin, the only damage ever done comes from projected force through armor.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51717 on: February 10, 2018, 07:54:31 pm »

Playing Corrosion's Desert Devils (Raiders, basically,) and I learned performers will act as waiters serving drinks to people.

I assigned a guy I named Terry to be a performer, as he had reasonable skills with various types of musical instruments and some were in production.

He then proceeded to kill a visiting bard by strangely focusing on him for drinks. Now, it's probably due to the visitor being, well, a visitor, and thus always present. But it makes me think Terry murdered the guy because he didn't want some other musician stealing his thunder.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51718 on: February 11, 2018, 09:09:06 am »

I am kinda amazed that in 36 fort years, I have not had a single alcohol poisoning.
Now for my dwarves, I expected that, since I modded their alcohol tolerance.
But there's been no goblins, humans or elves dying either. And they do get served drinks regularily.

Looks like having a tavern with 1 tavern keeper, 1 performer and 2 mugs is a good balance. They can't serve too much. Note that the tavern keeper and performer aren't very dedicated, they have many other labours enabled too. If their only job was tavern keeping, they might serve drinks faster.

That, or longland beer and mead are booze types that don't cause alcohol poisoning. Not sure if there's mechanics to make some boozes stronger than others.
I have more types of booze, but only Longland beer and mead are hauled into the tavern.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51719 on: February 11, 2018, 01:34:39 pm »

Momenttreaties
26th Felsite, 201

Aaaah, new fort smell. Smells like... beards.

Seven beards, specifically, only 2 male, and only 1 potential couple due to the spread of ages. Those first two migrant waves better bring me some dwarves of marriageable age.

Also I turned off invaders because I'm a lazy sod not in the mood for getting jumped before I'm good and ready to retaliate.

Edit, 3rd Malachite:

... I got a legendary clothier. From a migrant wave. This is a fresh world, so this is a legendary clothier from worldgen. I didn't know that could happen.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:04:18 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 3446 3447 [3448] 3449 3450 ... 3835