Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3447 3448 [3449] 3450 3451 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854735 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51720 on: February 11, 2018, 02:08:18 pm »

200 worldgen years seems more than enough for dwarves to achieve legendary status, it needn't have been generated as a legendary.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51721 on: February 11, 2018, 02:17:53 pm »

200 worldgen years seems more than enough for dwarves to achieve legendary status, it needn't have been generated as a legendary.

Hmm, yes, in principle. I don't know enough about worldgen to know if people do get their skills up while the world is proceeding through the years. The important thing is "wow, this is the first time I got a legendary anything in a migrant wave; pity they're only a clothier".

In other news all the new arrivals were nauseated by the sun and puked on the wagon. That feels a bit like a bug; they'd have been traveling overland long enough to get sun-adapted again, surely.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51722 on: February 11, 2018, 03:43:47 pm »

In other news all the new arrivals were nauseated by the sun and puked on the wagon. That feels a bit like a bug; they'd have been traveling overland long enough to get sun-adapted again, surely.

Yeah. The problem is that migrants that are histfigs (like dwarves from old fortresses) retain all counters, syndromes, injuries and pretty much everything else from the last time they were loaded on the map.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51723 on: February 11, 2018, 04:09:28 pm »

Yeah. The problem is that migrants that are histfigs (like dwarves from old fortresses) retain all counters, syndromes, injuries and pretty much everything else from the last time they were loaded on the map.

They're not dwarves from old forts, but I suppose they're all dwarves from old mountainhomes and are thoroughly, thoroughly cave adapted.

Momenttreaties
25th Timber 201

Our manager went into a fey mood, made a rock salt mug, and claimed it as a family heirloom. That last bit's new, and potentially annoying if it means I can't stick it on a pedestal for everyone to admire.

As of the autumn migrant wave we have 5 married couples, none of whom brought any kids but I'm sure they'll pop some out eventually.

There is so much vomit everywhere from the new arrivals. Almost certainly a bug, but not exactly gamebreaking.

I'm making a dormitory for the beards to rest their little heads, and at some point I'll dig out better accomodations but not yet. Right now I'm focusing on the outer wall, because having invaders off makes me feel less dwarfy.

2nd Granite 202

Second fey mood of the fort. Make something useful, Sazir Boatmarked!

... ew. Wood crafter.

14 Granite 202

Elven caravan! Give to me all your things.

2nd Slate 202

Almond wood amulet. Ugh. And what does it mean that he offers it to The Rope of Decisions, anyway??

6th Slate 202

First baby! Melbil Toothstaff, daughter of Erush Toothstaff. Congratulations on existing.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51724 on: February 11, 2018, 08:03:13 pm »

Being claimed as a family heirloom probably doesn't affect you putting it on a pedestal. I have maybe 6 heirlooms in a rarely-traversed room on pedestals and none of the dwarves have done any noticeable tantrum-y acts yet.
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51725 on: February 11, 2018, 08:31:34 pm »

I am kinda amazed that in 36 fort years, I have not had a single alcohol poisoning.
Now for my dwarves, I expected that, since I modded their alcohol tolerance.
But there's been no goblins, humans or elves dying either. And they do get served drinks regularily.

Looks like having a tavern with 1 tavern keeper, 1 performer and 2 mugs is a good balance. They can't serve too much. Note that the tavern keeper and performer aren't very dedicated, they have many other labours enabled too. If their only job was tavern keeping, they might serve drinks faster.

That, or longland beer and mead are booze types that don't cause alcohol poisoning. Not sure if there's mechanics to make some boozes stronger than others.
I have more types of booze, but only Longland beer and mead are hauled into the tavern.

Yeah but where's the Fun in that. I just carried the corpses of 3 visitors out of my tavern, they all died within 5 real minutes.

My tavern has 3 keepers, 2 performers and around 50 mugs.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51726 on: February 12, 2018, 06:12:30 am »

Momenttreaties
25th Slate 202

Got my first residency request. Sure, Lokum Minedburied, you can hang around for the purpose of monster slaying. (You're gonna be bored out of your mind, though.)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51727 on: February 12, 2018, 07:04:10 am »

Momenttreaties
25th Slate 202

Got my first residency request. Sure, Lokum Minedburied, you can hang around for the purpose of monster slaying. (You're gonna be bored out of your mind, though.)
They tend to do so in foresight. i had like 20 monsterslayers as petitioned visitors and then the undead came and they all died.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51728 on: February 12, 2018, 12:56:56 pm »

Momenttreaties
25th Slate 202

They tend to do so in foresight. i had like 20 monsterslayers as petitioned visitors and then the undead came and they all died.

Invaders is off, they're going to be bored.

Momenttreaties
4th Limestone 202

Five babies so far. All of them are girls. Is there something in the booze?

Progress on the Happy Fun Death Pit proceeds apace. I'm not sure where I want to autodump all the boulders from it so there's as little hauling required as possible without having to move the quantum pile eventually. Hmm.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51729 on: February 13, 2018, 12:11:34 am »

Monster slayers hunt cavern creatures, not invaders. Can be useful if you want some cannon fodder to protect you from all the giant bats that keep wandering in.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51730 on: February 13, 2018, 04:14:40 am »

Monster slayers hunt cavern creatures, not invaders. Can be useful if you want some cannon fodder to protect you from all the giant bats that keep wandering in.
thanks, that explains why they fled from the invaders instead of fighting them ^^
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51731 on: February 13, 2018, 11:11:56 am »

Five babies so far. All of them are girls. Is there something in the booze?

Probably too much stress in the life of parents.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51732 on: February 14, 2018, 05:45:04 pm »

Started a fort on a pretty steep mountain with a volcano. Its got some hematite, copper and gold in the upper layers, but only one area suitable for farming. Gonna test all the things
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51733 on: February 14, 2018, 11:57:01 pm »

I got a puddingstone titan.

On the plus side, I have steel weapons, including two hammer dwarves. But only two. And I only have 8 dwarves total and haven't started training them at all yet so they don't have any skill yet.

Oh, and I forgot to hook up the entrance bridge to the lever.

This is going to be fun. Be back later.

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51734 on: February 15, 2018, 12:36:04 am »

Puddingstone titan died to a steel axe slap to the body. Took down my swordsdwarf and my second axedwarf.

Eh, not as bad as I expected.
Pages: 1 ... 3447 3448 [3449] 3450 3451 ... 3836