Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3448 3449 [3450] 3451 3452 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5833411 times)

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51735 on: February 15, 2018, 10:20:23 am »

Playing for the first time in current version.

The plan is some experiments with !!Water!! and use and movement of it. The idea; which is currently under construction; is an above-ground 'turtle-shell' style fort atop a river. The ground floor will be where my Dorfs can do above-ground farming and so on. However, I plan to draw water from the river into a large cistern above the main fortress.

Once that is complete and I have tested the exter pumps from the river work; I'll begin attempting to make use of this vast reservoir. I'll start simple with things like a well at the top. Then I'll start getting more ambitious and start using larger and larger amounts of water. I eventually hope to weaponize the water somehow. Because dumping an entire reservoir of water upon goblins is fun. Would they drown? Would the water crush them if dropped from a sufficient Z-level difference? Who knows; maybe I'll make a waterfall or something.

The big idea is I can pump the water from the river in advance, store it as long as I need to; and thus have the potential to release a large amount of water at once. Likely safer than directly going from the river. I hope.

Thing is; my small group of Urists have been so busy setting the foundations of my water-pyramid that one of my food production, my Turkies... went unattended. I now have a Poltsplosion less than a year in. My Dwarves will feast when they grow up; but until then... polts everywhere.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51736 on: February 15, 2018, 10:26:41 am »

The plan is some experiments with !!Water!!
So, you're going to set water on !!Fire!! somehow?

Very dwarfy of you.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51737 on: February 15, 2018, 10:49:01 am »

use the correct letter for fire please: ‼ it is only one letter, not two.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51738 on: February 15, 2018, 11:22:36 am »

The plan is some experiments with !!Water!!
So, you're going to set water on !!Fire!! somehow?

Very dwarfy of you.

I wouldn't put it past me managing to do that! I usually avoid using anything that flows.

My forts usually end up as stables with me taming random beasts.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51739 on: February 15, 2018, 11:49:49 am »

Troglodytes. Troglodytes everywhere.

Goodanvils was founded by The Wheel of Glorifying of The Mechanism of Drumming in 350. As usual in my forts, entryways to all caverns were dug early, and the entrances secured with rows of cage traps to deter intruders. These cage traps soon proved to be a problem: local troglodyte tribes found them irresistible and simply couldn't wait to throw themselves into them, along with their friends and whole extended families.

As a result, Goodanvils is drowning in captured troglodytes. I've had to order hundreds of new cages and expand storage space twice, and still they show no signs of exhausting themselves. I keep feeding them into my daycare as fast as the children are able to take them, but can't even make a dent to the mountain of trog cages in the basement. And more trogs just keep coming...

I can't understand what is happening. In my earlier forts cavern critters simply stopped spawning when enough of them got killed. Did version .44.05 somehow do away with biome population caps?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:55:25 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51740 on: February 15, 2018, 01:05:12 pm »

none of my forts had ‼FUN‼ and i stopped trying to use fluids except for building a cistern.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51741 on: February 15, 2018, 06:40:05 pm »

Many things happening.

1) Have had several questers try to forcefully take one of my artifacts - they say "You will not stand between me and Falldent!" and then try to fight their way into my museum to steal Falldent. Though to be fair, I stole that artifact from the humans. They've all died before reaching the first staircase - only wound on my side was a dwarf child who got a quester's arrow into his arm (he was the one who spotted the quester sneaking into the fort), turning it permanently useless due to nerve damage.
2) 14 years into the fort, got my first goblin snatcher. Somehow running away faster than a war leopard (58 km/h), these goblins have developed car technology it seems.
3) At war with most surrounding civilizations. Gotten sieges from elves, dwarves, goblins and hopefully soon humans. All because of my artifact raids.
4) Artifact raids are filling up both my museum and my library.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:41:42 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51742 on: February 15, 2018, 07:30:09 pm »

I decided that 50+ jewelry items on my older dwarves was getting a bit ridiculous, and changed all my dwarves' equipment settings to replace clothing, making them drop their jewelry, in preparation for mass forbidding and ownership decay.

To my great joy, I just discovered that owned items that are on the floor, but not in a dwarf's personal room will lose their ownership status after a while without the need to forbid them.
That, or they lose ownership as soon as all free space in a dwarf's room is used up, but I think it's the former.

Ofcourse I could just use cleanowned scattered, but I rather spend some paused gaming time on forbidding stuff to let ownership decay than having my dwarves dump all the items, which comes with the cleanowned command. I wish there was a -nodump option on it.

EDIT:
WTF????
It's year 38 of the fort, up until now I've only had artists, performance troupes, and since I opened a visitor library 10 years ago, scholars visit my fort.
But now...
Nethale Elinísali, Human Hammerman is visiting.

Why, after all these years, I dunno. But it's cool, unless it's a bloodsucker.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:48:42 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51743 on: February 16, 2018, 07:47:28 am »

Determined migrants are keeping my fortress going despite losing most of the population 3 times so far.
Think I'm happy with the balance of my various tweaks now.

Was just beginning to set up the military and put down a few traps when, Goblin ambush! Military and traps do enough damage for the remaining tavern revelers to fight off the gobbos (population reduced to 8).
A bit later on, and we're back to work, the place is cleaned up, population back to around 50, the ghosts are put to rest lets see about that military...goblin ambush! Repeat of above.

A year or so later, the military are built up, crossbow bunkers in place, cage traps, weapon traps, steel-clad veterans guarding the corridors. We've sent out squads to provoke the next goblin civ into war just in case the first one runs out of troops. We're ready for them now....

150 steel-clad minotaurs charge in from the opposite direction, mostly avoiding the crossbow bunkers. Total massacre. 8 children survive.

And here comes another refugee swarm. Yay. Get the mops out boys! Mind the were-geckos...

So far, so Fun. Looking forward to seeing if I can get a siege from the second goblin civ. Civ map says 'war', so hopeful. Better round up some more mercs first though.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51744 on: February 16, 2018, 10:38:13 am »

Massive bar brawl in my fort of ~110 dwarves left at least 9 dead and 40 injured. 4 of the injured have been hit with the several year old healthcare bug (ignored by doctors) so they're just laying in the hospital requiring diagnosis and/or medical care but none of the doctors are doing anything.

3 of the dead were legendary+5 meleedwarves and 1 was my archer squad's captain.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51745 on: February 16, 2018, 02:57:44 pm »

Continuously having Dwarves rush into the caves to pick up stuff [Usually webs] and they keep ending up punching things to death like Giant Cave Toads. The Dwarf most guilty of this is my Baroness' Consort; who has this weird habit of wandering farther away from my fort than even my adventurer-visitors are going, finding something and punching it to death before going to the hospital to be cleaned up.

Also my Marksdwarves refuse to use ammo. Despite me assigning over 500 bolts for use. Occasionally my Captain of the Guard will use some, but the rest of his squad prefer to bash things. I'm probobly just going to make them all Sworddwaves and change their Leather to Shell.

Speaking of; my fort got a Baron before 40 Dwarves. Because one of my Urists inherited the title. Fun having to deal with that while still getting the basics online.

As for operation: Water...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next step: Get enough blocks to build the Water Container atop the fort; then and begin the weaponisation.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:03:14 pm by Raikaria »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51746 on: February 16, 2018, 03:11:41 pm »

a trade depot is underwater. Traders just stand at the edge of the map now; despite me building a new; closer depot... for some reason.

Traders on foot always insist on going to the oldest unforbidden depot on the map, no matter whether it's reachable or not, no matter where the wagons go. If the oldest depot is unreachable, they just sit on the map border and refuse to move.

Forbid the underwater depot (area-forbid via d-b-f(paint rectangle over the depot) or by forbidding the building materials of the depot via "t") and the merchants should get moving again.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51747 on: February 16, 2018, 03:40:35 pm »

I guess the Consort's life wasn't for Inod?

Edit: Bonus points: IT'S A GOBLIN NOBLE

Is this some sort of Gobline Refugee? Why is it a Baroness Consort? Why is it now in my military?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:55:26 pm by Raikaria »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51748 on: February 16, 2018, 05:02:59 pm »

Is this some sort of Gobline Refugee? Why is it a Baroness Consort? Why is it now in my military?
Multi-racial civs have been a thing for years. Dwarf Fortress simulates war, invasion, mass-immigration, slavery and occupation. It gets complicated quickly.

Goblins live forever. This gives then a chance to raise social skills. That's good for becoming nobility in DF.

Barons and such migrate right now. Wait for law/politics release before they start actually doing their jobs and governing where they're supposed to.

It's in your military because you assigned it there...

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51749 on: February 16, 2018, 05:24:23 pm »

Multi-racial civs have been a thing for years. Dwarf Fortress simulates war, invasion, mass-immigration, slavery and occupation. It gets complicated quickly.

Goblins live forever. This gives then a chance to raise social skills. That's good for becoming nobility in DF.

Barons and such migrate right now. Wait for law/politics release before they start actually doing their jobs and governing where they're supposed to.

It's in your military because you assigned it there...

Multi-racial civs have indeed existed... mostly as Goblin civs since Goblins raise anything snatched as their own.

Obviously it's in my military because I assigned it there.

What surprises me is the fact that she is a Noble; seems to be part of a Dwarven Civ; and has Children. Are these Goblins? Dwarf-Goblin hybrids? At the very least; being a consort of a noble; that implies marriage to a Dwarf.

Or do Goblins have their own nobility? That would explain a lot.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:25:56 pm by Raikaria »
Pages: 1 ... 3448 3449 [3450] 3451 3452 ... 3836