Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3459 3460 [3461] 3462 3463 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855633 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51900 on: March 20, 2018, 08:01:14 pm »

First things first build a raising bridge to hide behind.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51901 on: March 20, 2018, 08:02:37 pm »

First things first build a raising bridge to hide behind.

That was my plan, yes, but then I got distracted by the lava pouring all over the map (embarked on volcano).

I just realized that there's actually 5 dwarves that I managed to seal off before the zombies came. So, do I play with them a bit and stave off the inevitable, or...

EDIT: And no picks, for that matter. Really I might as well abandon.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:14:02 pm by blueturtle1134 »
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51902 on: March 20, 2018, 08:26:44 pm »

Don't worry, everyone sucks at Dwarf Fortress for their first few play-throughs.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

CrazyCatologist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51903 on: March 21, 2018, 01:11:37 am »

I tried to plan a bit ahead this time, of how I want my next fortress to be played.

Aaaaaand everything came completely different, when I didn't find a single suitable site. All I want is a desert with access to all 4 major races. Nothing else. I generated 3 worlds. Every time there is at least one missing, and, worst of all, mostly goblins are missing. And DF without sieges is really just not that much fun.

I guess one of the issues here is that I simply can't generate a world which is somewhat old enough.

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51904 on: March 21, 2018, 02:28:18 am »

I encountered some HFS for the first time, two salty bois wraught havok on everybody in my third cavern layer, killed 6 military dwarves including a master speardwarf that had pretty much solo'd a dragon before. I sealed off the cavern with bridges and tried to get someone to stem the tide, and by sheer luck the bloated salt fireflies completely ignored my miner while he was building walls. They even knocked over the wall mid construction but left the miner alone, despite being one tile away. The miner finishes his construction, saving the fort, while the bugs are asalting crundles off in the corner somewhere. The miner skadadles on up the mineshaft while about 30 military dwarves charge down to clean up the mess. My high master axelord leads the fight, immediately decapitating one and then cutting all the limbs off the other before chopping off its abdomen. He took them both down single handedly without being injured at all.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51905 on: March 21, 2018, 04:00:31 am »

Don't worry, everyone sucks at Dwarf Fortress for their first few play-throughs.
you mean their first dozen dozens playthroughs? :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
  • Stumbling belligerence-first through life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51906 on: March 22, 2018, 12:46:03 am »

First fort in 44.05.

Monster slayer turns up, asks for permission to go down into the caves and say hello to the local beasties.

Sure, I think. This guy probably knows what he's doing.

Less than a minute later: He gets mauled by a cave crocodile.

Curious, I look at what he brought. Mostly normal stuff: Copper weapons and armour, clothing etc, but then I see...

An artifact coffin. I guess this guy really *did* know what he was doing.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51907 on: March 22, 2018, 01:05:15 am »

Oh, man. If that artifact coffin was made by a family member, you've got the makings of an anime side plot on your hands.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51908 on: March 22, 2018, 02:07:48 am »

Okay, ow.

I got a little too cocky after raiding goblin settlements, and went out to pick a fight with one of the main goblin settlements. Before this nothing had been able to stand before me, everything got cut down.

I sent in 30 dwarves, and after the ape demon was done, 22 came back.

eesh.

time to make a beeline for the candy we spotted, beat up on the lesser goblin settlements, then come back with elite warriors shod in candy, and kick its ass next time.

EDIT:

Also, just had an ambush of 5 horses and 16 elves. I was a little worried because my military was off faffing about, daintily separating goblins from this mortal coil.

Fortunately four dwarves had been left behind. I had thought they were doomed, but they ripped the entire ambush apart. The only health issue they had was one of them was mildly winded.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:22:14 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51909 on: March 22, 2018, 02:38:19 pm »

An enemy dwarven civ and an enemy elven civ attacked my fortress in the same time. About one hundred elves against about 30 dwarves riding camels. You didn't live long enough until you see a dwarf camel archer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

None of the dwarves dead above were mine. In the end, the enmey dwarves won against the elves, with some losses. My soldiers finished the job.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:59:19 pm by thvaz »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51910 on: March 22, 2018, 03:54:29 pm »

An enemy dwarven civ and an enemy elven civ attacked my fortress in the same time. About one hundred elves against about 30 dwarves riding camels. You didn't live long enough until you see a dwarf camel archer.

None of the dwarves dead above were mine. In the end, the enmey dwarves won against the elves, with some losses. My soldiers finished the job.
Always funny when that happens. Seems to be mentioned quite a bit since 44.x. I guess something to do with having less restrictions/more reasons to attack nowadays.

Not sure what happened with my last goblin attack. They all started killing each other the moment they arrived. Possibly two different gobbo civs attacked at the same time. Or maybe just a badly timed argument. Ha ha.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51911 on: March 22, 2018, 04:04:07 pm »

Always funny when that happens. Seems to be mentioned quite a bit since 44.x. I guess something to do with having less restrictions/more reasons to attack nowadays.

Not sure what happened with my last goblin attack. They all started killing each other the moment they arrived. Possibly two different gobbo civs attacked at the same time. Or maybe just a badly timed argument. Ha ha.

My enjoyment with sieges is seriously compromised with the current issues with markdwarves. Next time I am trying some siege weapons.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51912 on: March 23, 2018, 06:04:51 pm »

sorry for the doubleposting

Some time ago I had a werelizard attacking my fortress, and he bit a visiting scholar. As I hadn't the means to lock or send him away I put some soldiers on guard duty at the library. In the next full moon, he turned as expected, was killed by the soldiers but bit another visiting scholar. Again I left my soldiers guarding the library but before the next full moon the scholar left the fortress. 

I knew he could be back anytime, but I didnt remember his name so I just forgot about it.

So about three years later I got a report about a werelizard rampaging through the library...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51913 on: March 24, 2018, 04:06:34 am »

Sent two armed dorfs to chat with the nearby savage monkey-man tribe. An ongoing tribute would surely benefit us both.

Now one is prisoner, the other is dead and the monkeys say they're at war with us. Bring it on!

--Successfully rescued the prisoners (one wasn't dead after all). Picked up a couple of gorillas in the raid too.

"Rescue prisoner" doesn't seem to work (squad return immediately after leaving), but Raid with "Rescue prisoners" checked does the job.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:24:03 am by Shonai_Dweller »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51914 on: March 24, 2018, 07:05:06 am »

Sent two armed dorfs to chat with the nearby savage monkey-man tribe. An ongoing tribute would surely benefit us both.

Now one is prisoner, the other is dead and the monkeys say they're at war with us. Bring it on!

--Successfully rescued the prisoners (one wasn't dead after all). Picked up a couple of gorillas in the raid too.

"Rescue prisoner" doesn't seem to work (squad return immediately after leaving), but Raid with "Rescue prisoners" checked does the job.

Wait you can demand tribute from animal people?

On a side note, time to sacrifice some troglodytes to the cat god.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 3459 3460 [3461] 3462 3463 ... 3836