Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3460 3461 [3462] 3463 3464 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5844586 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51915 on: March 24, 2018, 07:18:30 am »

Sent two armed dorfs to chat with the nearby savage monkey-man tribe. An ongoing tribute would surely benefit us both.

Now one is prisoner, the other is dead and the monkeys say they're at war with us. Bring it on!

--Successfully rescued the prisoners (one wasn't dead after all). Picked up a couple of gorillas in the raid too.

"Rescue prisoner" doesn't seem to work (squad return immediately after leaving), but Raid with "Rescue prisoners" checked does the job.

Wait you can demand tribute from animal people?

On a side note, time to sacrifice some troglodytes to the cat god.
Modded, sorry. Added a bunch of animal-person tribes. Great source of meat for raiders. Absolutely savage in revenge due to their abundance of huge furry pets.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51916 on: March 24, 2018, 07:27:01 am »

Found a legendary kobold thief. Die. He got away, sadly.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51917 on: March 24, 2018, 07:40:20 am »

Oh, the 44.07 siege fix worked OK. No more milling around on the edge of the map.

An ambush, curse them!
Right, everyone inside, military to your posts, get ready...
--huge surge of furry teeth filled death swarms in through the gates
Your strength has been broken.

Yeah, that works. :)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51918 on: March 24, 2018, 01:11:53 pm »

And now begins the construction of BrightFuture. An expansive, above-ground fort that promises to bustle and thrive with almost a hundred and fifty happy citizens, and the first fort that I've ever actually planned out ahead of time. Attractions include:
  • A completely flat embark, as far as the eye can see (four by four region tiles, twice my normal embark size)
  • A scenic volcano just north-west of the city
  • A masterfully-built castle and a high, impenetrable wall around the city (coming soon)
All that and more await you in the fortress of ShinZalud, "Brightfuture!" Brightfuture: Where you'll be so dazzled by industry and luxury that you won't even notice the cave adaptation making you vomit.

I'm striking the earth.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #51919 on: March 24, 2018, 03:44:19 pm »

Lost some three hours of fortressing due to that crash when pressing "v" stuff, now running everywhere to get a solution.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51920 on: March 24, 2018, 06:43:25 pm »

Huh, it turns out above-ground plants grow significantly faster than subterranean plants. I'm actually having trouble keeping my farms stocked because I'm not brewing fast enough to keep my seed production matched to the harvesting.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51921 on: March 24, 2018, 07:10:04 pm »

Lost some three hours of fortressing due to that crash when pressing "v" stuff, now running everywhere to get a solution.
What do you mean?
My fortress doesn't crash when I press 'v'. I use it all the time. Link to the bug report? (Or, seriously report it if it isn't already reported. Crash bugs are no.1 priority. Wouldn't want to enter mythgen's Big Wait with an obvious crash).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:11:36 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #51922 on: March 24, 2018, 07:40:00 pm »

It's a DF Hack thing.
Some people posted since 2017 at least about getting an instantaneous crash without any kind of warning when pressing "view unit" or "zoom" from the units menu.

I am finally using DF Hack after using nothing but Dwarf Therapist all my life, and it has not been a nice week since I started using it.

Before that, in the course of some ~5 years DF crashed 3 times on me.
This week it has been 15? 20?

Give me a pm if you find a tip.

Edit: Link to github discussion.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:43:06 pm by Magistrum »

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51923 on: March 25, 2018, 03:21:49 am »

Endless Siege bug has by happenstance spared me a visit from the elven diplomat, who was about to push me into adopting a tree limit. I guess I get another year of free harvesting.

Also, the law-giver of the local human civilization (Which seems to consist of one city and some hamlets) is apparently a female Gorlak. At some point I'm going to need to get into legends viewer and find out how that happened.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #51924 on: March 25, 2018, 11:46:46 am »

The C&OLEWS(Cows & Other Livestock Early Warning System) detected a wererat about thirty tiles from the entrance hole, before the outside working area was properly walled.
 No biggie, I already got three axedwarves in full armor, send them in, have the other 7  dwarves only partially covered to station the entrance and protect the burrow along with the reservists. Set the reservists to move to the entrance.
 Turns out there were three reservists pasturing/shearing/milking the Early Warning System and they decide to fight the wererat instead of moving to their post.
 They fight along with the three professionals and two get bitten. I lock them in the cells with some food and drink after getting splintered up.

Lorbam McDumb, Reservist has transformed into a wererat!
I will dump you in the caverns.

Mulåsh McSkilledSwordsdwarfCarryingaSpear, Reservist has transformed into a wererat!
You were promising.

Thol McUnrelated, Reservist has transformed into a wererat!
Waaaaaait...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51925 on: March 25, 2018, 12:45:04 pm »

Decided to play a hamlet instead of an usual fortress , only keeping the stockpiles underground in order to keep the surface clean and for work + houses only (as to keep constantly high fps i decided to go with a 2:2 embark, enough for my fortess usual sizes anyways)

After a couple of migrant waves (each rather surprisingly small) , i suddenly remembered some of my past problems regarding werecreatures , so i rushed everyone to build a wall surrounding my hamlet (trying not to make fully straight walls in order to give some "medieval fortified village" atmosphere and a bridge entrance (controlled by lever)

Looks like i have been lucky because a weremonkey decided to just show up a few minutes after the linking of the bridge and the lever was finally done.
A disadvantage of 2:2 embarks is that obviously an invader has less distance to walk in order to get to your fortress (a nice welcomed upgrade of the challenge then) .
But with luck being in my side, the weremonkey spawned to the east of my walled hamlet , so i had enough time to get everyone that was outside for some reason back into town and raise the bridge.

Unfortunately a stray dog and a stray water buffalo fell in front of the insane beasts (brave animals sacrifice for giving more time to my dwarves running into my burrow safety).
I dread to think what would have happened if i had waited for more time before starting my hamlet walls and bridge.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51926 on: March 25, 2018, 04:22:57 pm »

The C&OLEWS(Cows & Other Livestock Early Warning System) detected a wererat about thirty tiles from the entrance hole, before the outside working area was properly walled.
 No biggie, I already got three axedwarves in full armor, send them in, have the other 7  dwarves only partially covered to station the entrance and protect the burrow along with the reservists. Set the reservists to move to the entrance.
 Turns out there were three reservists pasturing/shearing/milking the Early Warning System and they decide to fight the wererat instead of moving to their post.
 They fight along with the three professionals and two get bitten. I lock them in the cells with some food and drink after getting splintered up.

Lorbam McDumb, Reservist has transformed into a wererat!
I will dump you in the caverns.

Mulåsh McSkilledSwordsdwarfCarryingaSpear, Reservist has transformed into a wererat!

You were promising.

Thol McUnrelated, Reservist has transformed into a wererat!
Waaaaaait...

As I reported above, I am having lots or problems with visitors being bitten by werecreatures, leaving the fortress, and returning years later to cause havoc...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:41:33 pm by thvaz »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51927 on: March 26, 2018, 03:24:27 pm »

Started a new fort with a dead civ to try a new stupid dwarf trick to make your adventurer king. Not a whole lot going on, i just managed to get some basic food supplies up and running and a 2-tile overhanging ditch around my fort for defense. Havent gotten a monarch yet, first caravan came and i dropped a ceiling on them, killing all but one, so theres only a 1:16 chance the king will be that macedwarf, who ill never see again anyway.

My new creatures are working alright, they breed as mammals but lay "unusual eggs" made of various body components, allowing me to collect meat without actually butchering any of them. Theyre like giant leprosy rats that fall apart occasionally but regenerate any lost tissue, i guess. The only other usefil produc they offer is milk, and being born fully mature (if small) adults. But this does prove a creature can still give live birth with a lays_unusual_egg token.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51928 on: March 27, 2018, 03:22:51 pm »

Attempting to keep the last dead dwarf civ up and running (literally no other dwarves in the entire world). Because I couldn't risk losing precious dwarf blood to militia, I decided to punch a mining shaft through all three cavern layers Day 1. Just as planned, I received ten monster hunters in search for viable hunting grounds within the first season, thus ensuring that I always have adventurers willing to die for me. As long as I keep the booze flowing and the swords sharpened, I think my little Monster-Hunter-esque Troverians won't have to worry about dying off!

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51929 on: March 27, 2018, 04:55:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure the dwarf who became my first mayor was operating under an assumed name. He was known to the fortress as Itlud Curllocks, and had no non-combat skills.

I really like making intricate tombs for my most important dwarves, and so I've got a hall set up to hold the remains of the mayors of my fortress. Whenever a new mayor is elected, they get a tomb and a statue in it.

For a while, I was confused why I couldn't make statues of this mayor, as all the statues I made of him were of some dwarf named Zon Granitetalk. Specifically of Zon Granitetalk being elected mayor of my fortress. At first I was confused, and thought that I'd had another mayor that I hadn't noticed, but I didn't see any record of a Zon Granitetalk anywhere in my fortress, living or dead.

Finally, I thought that perhaps Itlud Curllocks was Zon Granitetalk, so I just put the statues in his tomb.

A few years later, Itlud had joined the military, and was sent in to deal with a forgotten beast who had gotten into the fortress because I hadn't yet properly secured the cavern entrance. My elite marksdwarf had been dodging and shooting the beast repeatedly when Itlud came charging in with his hammer, and pretty much immediately got brutally murdered by it. Eventually the rest of my military showed up and killed the beast.

So now his tomb reads that it is the final resting place of Itlud, but when I examine it it contains the head and partial skeleton of Zon Granitetalk.
Pages: 1 ... 3460 3461 [3462] 3463 3464 ... 3836