Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3462 3463 [3464] 3465 3466 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854333 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51945 on: March 28, 2018, 05:50:43 am »

It's been a very long time i haven't seen an ambush in my fortress.
But on my current hamlet a squad of elves ambushed us.

My quickly drafted military fortunately destroyed them, and to my surprise (as they're still unskilled and underequipped) without any loss.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 05:55:34 am by Robsoie »

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51946 on: March 28, 2018, 06:24:48 am »

Watch those human visitors. They might be after your artifacts. I hope your inn is kept separate from the rest of your fortress somewhat.

You might want to raid one of the smaller goblin sites to provoke them, though if you do, make sure you're ready to repel a large siege.

My only artifacts are an Earring and an Animal Trap. They're also a fair bit away from the tavern, sitting in a museum constructed after the humans showed up.

Also; I had a migrant with the title 'Monster Slayer'. Not a visitor. A migrant. I also have a Pilgrim.

Weird.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:46:10 am by Raikaria »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51947 on: March 28, 2018, 06:42:49 am »

Watch those human visitors. They might be after your artifacts. I hope your inn is kept separate from the rest of your fortress somewhat.

You might want to raid one of the smaller goblin sites to provoke them, though if you do, make sure you're ready to repel a large siege.

My only artifacts are an Earring and an Animal Trap. They're also a fair bit away from the tavern, sitting in a museum constructed after the humans showed up.

Also; I had a migrant with the title 'Monster Slayer'. Not a visitor. A migrant.

Weird.
It's this bug.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10490
Hope it gets fixed soon. It's got no real game breaking issues, but it's really confusing people.

If you check Legends, you'll probably find he was spying on another civ as a Monster Hunter just before he moved to your fortress. He's retained his fake name and job title from his spying mission. He's not actually spying on you, despite his fakeness. Won't stop people applying magma when they get suspicious of him though. Oh well.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51948 on: March 28, 2018, 07:51:09 am »

I think I've solved my metal problem. It turns out my site is blessed in another way.

I reached the first Cavern layer; and found a Deep Pit. I thought 'why bother digging around the cavern and making another entryway into my fort when I can just dig down the pit?'

So; I went down the rather deep pit, and reached the 2nd layer of the Caverns... finding that the pit led to [another] underground lake. But I could see land; so I dug over to that.

And then I find Candy. On the 2nd layer of the caverns; suggesting there is a very large spire.

Either that or I skipped an entire level of the caverns. Either way, I can't see any wildlife indicative. The only thing I've found is 1 single Crundle.

Thing is; I still want some lesser metals to train an armourer on before they get to work on the candy.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 07:53:56 am by Raikaria »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51949 on: March 28, 2018, 12:59:27 pm »

After 12 years and some setbacks, my fortress is growing again.

Some 4 years ago I had 250 dwarves, a full legendary squad, another 2 trained squads, and was raiding a near goblin civilization to extinction. But then the elves attacked, swarming my fortress with hundreds of attackers, and a misguided artifact hunt created a war with another dwarven civilization. I lost almost all my warriors and the fortress population went as low as 150 dwarves in the subsequent sieges. (moats look cool but are a disaster for your soldiers - I lost as many soldiers drowned as I lost to the enemies).

The war is still raging though now I have finished a mass killing device in an alternative entrance hall, and I just started a cave dragon breeding program.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51950 on: March 28, 2018, 02:58:42 pm »

I think I'm about to have an artifact stolen.

I got a message saying someone revealed the location of an artifact (which is in my fort) to a visitor. I've been watching the guy ever since. I've set guards to station at the museum.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51951 on: March 28, 2018, 04:28:28 pm »

Can artifacts be stolen out of display cases?
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51952 on: March 29, 2018, 12:18:17 am »

I don't know, and I'm about to find out. Maybe he'll leave, and send back an army to 'recover' the artifact.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51953 on: March 29, 2018, 01:32:31 am »

An update on my above-ground fort: If you build a constructed roof over a section of ground and then channel the ground out, such that the ground is never actually directly below open sky... DF still marks that area of ground as light above-ground, sadly. So that well is going to freeze over every winter.

In other news, my ex-farmer (now my bone carver) made an artifact bone shield, which was surprising but quite nice! I'll be assigning it to my champion once I get one, I believe. I just wish my miners/metalsmiths would get on board with this idea so I can actually outfit my militia...
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51954 on: March 29, 2018, 02:29:56 am »

Well, I'm certainly having fun with the ability to raid, I razed a goblin pits and killed everyone in it (it was however it immediately was taken over by another far away goblin civ) and got some random junk from it, most importantly though I got myself some beak dogs. I like this. Had a bit of a situation when a titan attacked while my dwarves were out fighting, but I had a bridge and my civilian dwarves hid away like a bunch of pansies till my soldiers returned, fortunately the titan was made of water and went down without a fight.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51955 on: March 29, 2018, 04:07:57 am »

The next mountainhome caravan wants rings most... and my current site has a crundleload of native gold... shiney gold rings for all! And maybe a few thrones for good measure...

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51956 on: March 29, 2018, 04:36:14 am »

So.

Not sure what he was on about. He wants to return it home, but it is home. The artifact was made by a citizen of this fort, and it has always been here. It has nothing to do with another dwarven civ. I sent him away.

Two minutes later,

Surprisingly he did not run away, I expected him to flee after he was spotted. He was actually moving towards my fort. So @Jazz Cat, I think that he wanted to steal the artifact from the display case. Not sure how he was planning to do it, though.

So I killed him. It took the marksdwarves too long, so I sent a macedwarf after him. After he died it gave a message "Kubuk Etaginod, Axedwarf has been found dead." as if he was a resident. They even buried him. I didn't want to, but I guess that if they do that, then not doing it would result in ghosts. Perhaps even one who would destroy the artifact out of spite.

Definitely going to prepare for more intruders though.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #51957 on: March 29, 2018, 04:44:40 am »

My mayor has been ruling the fort with an iron fist for the past 5-6 years. Despite being one of the physicaly weakest dwarves, he has the highest intimidator score which ensures that he gets re-elected. Having a professional criminal as a wife, who just so happens to be both the strongest and toughest dwarf around, doesn't hurt either.

Mafia Fortress is a go, I'll now have to put severed heads in the bedrooms.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51958 on: March 29, 2018, 10:45:31 am »

I'd like to point out it said he wanted to return it to "an unknown building", making me think it's bugged

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51959 on: March 29, 2018, 12:36:46 pm »

Could be its just somebody's house they intend to drop it off at, those structures dont have names. Or perhaps the only bug is that the AI cant really lie at the moment, so refusing to name the building they intend to bring it to is as close as they can get to lying about their intentions.

My first attempt at a fort didnt go well, once every dwarf in the fort was dead the game made that merchant that escaped king instead of my adventurer, so i regenned the world and tried again. Different location this time as well. I have two adventurers retired there as militiadwarves, and every other merchant and dwarf is dead. Now to arrange an unfortunate accident for the queen and the werewolf militia commander and prepare for war.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:40:47 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 3462 3463 [3464] 3465 3466 ... 3836