Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3464 3465 [3466] 3467 3468 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855302 times)

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51975 on: April 01, 2018, 06:48:39 am »

So... I thought something was up when I was finding Plump Helmet men in the first cavern I breached... at Z-25.

My suspicions were confirmed when at z-43 I've found a Magma Pool that leads to the GMS. At Z-43.

Which means somewhere between 0 and Z-25 is Caverns 1 which I outright skipped somehow.

It also means I only really have ~43 Z-levels in my fort... and I am still yet to find a scrap of metal.

Apparently my fort is on some drastic lowlands?

At least it means things don't have to be hauled 100+ z-levels to a magma forge/smelter.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 06:51:03 am by Raikaria »

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51976 on: April 01, 2018, 08:35:41 am »

After 12 years and some setbacks, my fortress is growing again.

Some 4 years ago I had 250 dwarves, a full legendary squad, another 2 trained squads, and was raiding a near goblin civilization to extinction. But then the elves attacked, swarming my fortress with hundreds of attackers, and a misguided artifact hunt created a war with another dwarven civilization. I lost almost all my warriors and the fortress population went as low as 150 dwarves in the subsequent sieges.

Those are truly great news. Could it be that FUN is coming back?  I think I'll finally move on from 34.11 to the latest release.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51977 on: April 01, 2018, 11:19:54 am »

defenses aren't up yet and we just defeated the elven Bard lady Wereantilope when she transformed back to her elven form.
two dorfs might have gotten infected though and are in quarantine. 2 were killed.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Pesi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51978 on: April 01, 2018, 05:15:18 pm »

Just started the game again after many years (haven't played since before Evil Rain/Vampires), and I figured I'd try this newfangled Library thing. Right away the eating-drinking-gathering hall empties out as EVERYONE decides that the library is a much more interesting place despite not having any books and being much smaller so they are climbing all over each other.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51979 on: April 01, 2018, 05:39:59 pm »

Some 4 years ago I had 250 dwarves, a full legendary squad, another 2 trained squads, and was raiding a near goblin civilization to extinction. But then the elves attacked, swarming my fortress with hundreds of attackers, and a misguided artifact hunt created a war with another dwarven civilization. I lost almost all my warriors and the fortress population went as low as 150 dwarves in the subsequent sieges.

Those are truly great news. Could it be that FUN is coming back?  I think I'll finally move on from 34.11 to the latest release.

You can quite literally create your own FUN by purposefully raiding other civs, including other Dwarven Civs.

And you can and will trigger sieges. Even from Dwarves. Consider that Dwarves can come clad in Steel, and have Martial Trance, and therefor are probobly only second to the HFS in terms of potential FUN. But you do have to specifically opt-in by raiding other Dwarf civs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51980 on: April 01, 2018, 07:30:47 pm »

The game is a lot more dynamic now, but there is still some bugs, of course. For those who like sieges and battles, the most glaring issue at the moment is about the marksdwarves that will try to enter in melee even if locked behind fortifications.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51981 on: April 02, 2018, 12:02:49 am »

I wonder how feasible it is to put marksdwarves in restraints on top of the battlements. There's a DFHack script floating around that lets you chain up citizens at will...
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51982 on: April 02, 2018, 01:33:28 am »

Well, new fort, just made tunnels for the magma shops and sent Urist McMason to breach the volcano, since he's my only engraver.
Carves fortifications and hustles back, walks the dozen spaces or so to the ramp... then stops, turns around, and sprints to apparently dive into the oncoming magma.
WTF, McMason?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51983 on: April 02, 2018, 02:51:50 am »

I wonder how feasible it is to put marksdwarves in restraints on top of the battlements. There's a DFHack script floating around that lets you chain up citizens at will...

I found it was adequate to just set up a room with ammo stockpiles from which my marksdwarves can access the betterments, and then just lock the door to that room once the enemy is in sight.

CrazyCatologist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51984 on: April 03, 2018, 05:58:23 am »

Many things are going on in my fortress.

With the most inconveinient thing being the wereweasel incident in late winter 555, first year of my fortress. A wereweasel just showed up on the map, and quickly made it's way right into the heart of my unguarded fortress. Not that the weasel was that much of a danger itself. The captain of my guard and my dogs managed to bring it down in no time. Yet it managed to bite said soldier, which I didn't notice right at the beginning. Let's just say, the log was rather long, becasue literally every dwarf and livestock was somehow involved.

About one month later (just right after the seasonal auto-save), right in the middle of the tavern, the dwarf turned into a weasel. Not only did it manage to dodge a handful of attacks from my miners' picks and my woodcutters axe, but no, it bit 3 more dwarfes. With only one month to go, I really had a hard time trying to entomb all three of them in time.

And there, they still remain.

And, right before that, mid autumn, there was the werepanda incident. Luckily, it got resolved pretty quickly by the guards of the dwarfen caravan, without any causalties.

Well, exactly one year after that, autumn 556, I had a similar incident, but with a wereelephant this time. Let's just say, it went pretty well for me. It slaughtered pretty much the whole caravan, with only one survivor, who bled to death shortly after. Pretty well for me because I inherited not only loads of armor, but also three caravan carts worth of finest stuff.

Long story short - once again I'm surprised by what damage a small creature can cause and how easily even the worst possible enemy can be fought off under the right circumstances in this game.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #51985 on: April 03, 2018, 11:06:24 am »

Doesn't the civilization counts that as the same as if you were the cause?
Probably won't be a lot of stuff in the next caravan.
In a time before time, I had a name.

CrazyCatologist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51986 on: April 03, 2018, 11:51:10 am »

I always thought they'll just send other guys then?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51987 on: April 03, 2018, 12:12:03 pm »

I always thought they'll just send other guys then?

The game keeps track of how much value arrived with the caravan and how much departed with it. If the latter is much smaller than the former, the mountainhome gets angry at you and will send fewer goods next time, even if the destruction of the caravan wasn't your fault.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51988 on: April 03, 2018, 01:11:07 pm »

I found it was adequate to just set up a room with ammo stockpiles from which my marksdwarves can access the betterments, and then just lock the door to that room once the enemy is in sight.

You have to seal it completely, otherwise they will climb where possible or will just jump three z-levels into moats or danger to kill the enemies with their bare hands.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51989 on: April 03, 2018, 01:37:31 pm »

Well yeah, I guess I forgot to even mention that I've been roofing over fortifications ever since jumping and climbing was added and my Marksdwarves started clamoring over them in their luster for battle.
Pages: 1 ... 3464 3465 [3466] 3467 3468 ... 3836