Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3465 3466 [3467] 3468 3469 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5838847 times)

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51990 on: April 03, 2018, 08:54:59 pm »

My squad of seven fighters went on a quest to recover an artifact wooden bow from a nearby forest. Never heard from them again. It's been a year now, and the forest was within a day travel from my fort. I guess they aren't coming back. Pity, their equipment was expensive and hard to obtain.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51991 on: April 04, 2018, 12:00:03 am »

My squad of seven fighters went on a quest to recover an artifact wooden bow from a nearby forest. Never heard from them again. It's been a year now, and the forest was within a day travel from my fort. I guess they aren't coming back. Pity, their equipment was expensive and hard to obtain.
Was the bow stored there, or last reported held by someone there? Artifact hunts for held artifacts don't work yet.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51992 on: April 04, 2018, 02:40:29 am »

Following the announcement of the discovery of Candy [Only ~50 z levels down...] in my fortress; I proceeded to dig above the Magma to get to it. Sadly; it forms the wall of the Magma; so I can't get to it quite yet. However, I found something else.

It was then that I finally discovered what is apparently the rarest ore of them all... Tetrahedrite.

Just in time as well. Because while it's small; a scouting siege of 5 Goblins has turned up. 5 Goblins is usually no problem... but when your Dwarves are wearing Leather and wielding Wood Swords imported by the Elves because you are that desperate...

Worse; I can't even make the Copper into Bronze. I have to make do with just Copper and Silver. My Dwarves have been training with Swords; so I'll probobly end up giving them Copper Swords for now, then make some Silver Hammers or Maces and train them with those. At least Copper Armour is a step up from Leather and should enable my military to dispatch 5 Goblins and claim the Goblinite.

Perhaps the most annoying thing is this showed up in the Autumn, so it's probobly eaten up my Dwarven Caravan for this year.

The strangest thing is; at least against indigenous wildlife and ___Men; Wooden Swords seemed perfectly fine. One of my Dwarves managed to rack up 8 kills with a Wooden Longsword; and was performing feats such as beheadings. Wood... isn't *as* useless as I thought.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:45:58 am by Raikaria »

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51993 on: April 04, 2018, 04:38:47 am »

Was the bow stored there, or last reported held by someone there? Artifact hunts for held artifacts don't work yet.

It was stored. Or, more likely, lost, since there were no settlements in that area. As far as I understand, squads never leave the fort, or return home immediately, when you send them after held artifacts. My guys, though, left for good and never came back, and I wonder what kind of unspeakable horror got them. Legends have no info on their fate and military screen says the squad is "traveling", so I still have hope.

Actually I've just got an idea. If I go after this artifact in adventure mode, will I find my dorfs' bodies (if they were slain?) Or follow their trail and catch up to them eventually?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:46:47 am by forgotten_idiot »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51994 on: April 04, 2018, 04:45:31 am »

It was stored. Or, more likely, lost, since there were no settlements in that area. As far as I understand, squads never leave the fort, or return home immediately, when you send them after held artifacts. My guys, though, left for good and never came back, and I wonder what kind of unspeakable horror got them. Legends have no info on their fate and military screen says the squad is "travelling", so I still have hope.
Probably fell down a pit in a kobold cave (they don't show up on the map, so that's probably what it was - maybe a vault if your dorfs were unlucky).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51995 on: April 04, 2018, 06:39:51 am »

Werelemur attack!

Sorted out by my miner (was bitten, too bad). Battle report calls the werelemur a "chieftess". Interesting, must check out Legends later see what happened.

Wait...in the miner's thoughts it only mentions a troll in his kills.
Oh, I see, WereTroll! That's a first for me.
Weretroll chieftess? Seems a bit weird. Bug?

But no, browsing Legends reveals that this troll lead an exciting life. Became an enemy of the goblins, devoured lots of them and their beakdogs, moved to a dungeon for a while, before venturing out and becoming a fishery worker. Then got herself enslaved. But a few years later she'd escaped (presumably) and apparently became chieftess of a bandit gang. Sadly then troll-like instincts took over and she profaned a temple. Was cursed to be a werelemur forever more.

RIP Werelemur troll Mused Drummedrips the Mist of Heads, chieftess of the Winds of Intensity.
Must make a slab.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51996 on: April 04, 2018, 09:50:58 am »

Stuff like that really makes me love this game. Which reminds me, I had a migrant come to a fortress of mine recently and she was a dwarf that had killed a giant, I only managed to find this out due to her crossbow being named and in the artifacts list. is good.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51997 on: April 04, 2018, 02:50:14 pm »

Copper Weapons and Production has been going well. The militia isn't yet fully equipped; but they're getting there. The seige was broken due to a combination of the wildlife and cages set to catch said wildlife.

So; I go to excecute the prisoners and un-trainable animals. They get dispatched quickly. And then I read the combat logs.

Most of them prisoners got a swift death. However; one female Goblin seemed to be made of Steel.

First the Goblin's left foot was chopped off in a single strike. Then the right leg at the knee. The Goblin was then slashed across the body; which outright said it cut the heart and tore a major artery. The stab was so deep the sword got stuck in the wound and needed to be pulled out.

But the Goblin hadn't died yet, and was actually still trying to bite. So the Goblin got stabbed in the gut; damaging the innards. Then stabbed in the chest, with the lungs punctured. Then right arm was sliced and twisted the shoulder and fractured the bone.

Still alive. Still not giving in to pain. Major nerve damage all over.

Sliced in the head; fractureing the skull and tearing the spine. Twice.

Stabbed in the head; fracturing the skill and tearing the spine and damaging nerves. At this point; the Goblin grabs one of the Nine Dwarves by their arm.

Another slice in the skull. And then a final stab to the brain to finally put down this Goblin.

Lost a foot; a leg; sliced in the heart; stabbed in the lung; sliced in the head 3 times; stabbed through the skull twice; and numerous other injuries on her arms. Every single strike was damageing and meaningful. That's what it took to kill this Goblin.

No sooner than this Goblin was excecuted; I received a visitor. A Giant hairy Cave Crocodile... with a shell... and Deadly Dust. I guess I'll need to give some militia some crossbows. Give them some basic training with my bone bolt stockpile; then use them to support at range with Copper bolts...

In other news; while the Giant Vulture breeding programme has stalled; my Ostriches are now onto their third generation; Tame Adults. I plan to sell some of this new batch of Tame Ostriches to the Caravan. I wonder if it'll do anything for future embarks. It's a bit of a crying shame your Dwarves can't use Cavalry, Ostrich Cavalry would be amazing.

I also caught some Freshwater Alligators; a male and female. So I can perhaps breed some Gators. Assigning my military some Gators might help out.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:54:37 pm by Raikaria »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51998 on: April 04, 2018, 03:06:03 pm »

Decided to start a fort to be deliberate bandits, or as best as I can manage. No real supplies, having only a bit of ore, coal, and thier weapons, nestled into a spot in the mountains, which by a twisted miracle had exposed platinum veins, magnetite, and chalk. Hell, I dunno what to do now. i was expecting a high attrition rate to be honest, but this might make serious a difference.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51999 on: April 04, 2018, 03:25:25 pm »

I wonder if it'll do anything for future embarks. It's a bit of a crying shame your Dwarves can't use Cavalry, Ostrich Cavalry would be amazing.

...Wark?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52000 on: April 04, 2018, 05:19:27 pm »

I wonder if it'll do anything for future embarks. It's a bit of a crying shame your Dwarves can't use Cavalry, Ostrich Cavalry would be amazing.
...Wark?
i support the request for mounts for player controlled dorfs!
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52001 on: April 04, 2018, 05:44:54 pm »

...Wark?
i support the request for mounts for player controlled dorfs!
Player controllers mounts. Devnotes. Part of the candidates for updates during the next few months.
(Adventurer anyway).

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52002 on: April 04, 2018, 09:09:13 pm »

Well, my above-ground fortress is on the backburner for now, because good grief does having to make that many blocks screw with my workflow. So while Brightfuture sits in my save folder until I have more patience, allow me to introduce Packedtrades:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A gorgeous 1x4 embark with a volcano at the north end and a great deal of flat land. I have high hopes for this fort; I'll keep you all posted.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52003 on: April 05, 2018, 04:01:12 am »

Not my fort; but my brother's.

My brother's fort has had a human who's been there long enough to become a citizen. This is the only human in the fort.

Apparently; despite being in the fort; with no other humans for FIVE YEARS the human has now given birth to a baby boy.

The nature of this boy is a mystery. The baby human is also not showing up on this units list.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52004 on: April 05, 2018, 08:52:42 am »

Not my fort; but my brother's.

My brother's fort has had a human who's been there long enough to become a citizen. This is the only human in the fort.

Apparently; despite being in the fort; with no other humans for FIVE YEARS the human has now given birth to a baby boy.

The nature of this boy is a mystery. The baby human is also not showing up on this units list.
Have you had any human visitors?
Requires a bug report with save to find out the, no doubt scandalous, details.
Pages: 1 ... 3465 3466 [3467] 3468 3469 ... 3836