Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3468 3469 [3470] 3471 3472 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857158 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52035 on: April 14, 2018, 12:24:28 pm »

Quickly checking the legends, it was a kind of ceratop dinosaur apparently

Oddly it only had 6 kills ?
The last forest titan that my troops atomised incredibly easily had several hundred of kills, worldgen "kill" code may need some tweaking there considering the difference in power between those 2 guys.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52036 on: April 14, 2018, 12:37:46 pm »

Maybe it was mostly isolated? Worldgen also takes into account how close they are to a civ iirc, so if the ceratopsid was miles from anywhere it would have next to nothing to kill. But theyll travel clear across the world to pester your fort.

Being a webslinger explains how it killed all those dwarves. If theyre trapled in webs they cant dodge, block, or attack. You should have employed a crossbow squad behind fortifications, really.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:39:49 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52037 on: April 14, 2018, 12:42:38 pm »

Yes, my mistake was to not read the description when it came before sending my squads toward the beast.
At least it wasn't a fire breather, i can't imagine the disaster :D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52038 on: April 14, 2018, 10:47:08 pm »

In other news, malformed demon fetuses have bludgeoned a bard to death.

His emerald artifact figurine is officially state property, as he had no family on-site to claim it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52039 on: April 14, 2018, 10:57:49 pm »

Using DFHack for the first time in a long time. The multi-z-level-view is more confusing than it is convenient.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52040 on: April 15, 2018, 06:24:47 am »

My starting 7 all died attacking a reanimated Yeti corpse, but the fort stayed alive due to a single human monster slayer who was drinking herself stupid in the tavern. New migrant wave arrive, but none of them have any relationships! There have been 3 waves in total now, and not a single dwarf has relationships in the world (cousins, brothers, parents, etc.)

I understand the first two waves are usually 'hard coded', but why doesn't anyone have a family? Are they just all dead?

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52041 on: April 15, 2018, 07:31:38 am »

Just messing around with raiding stuff and boy, is it fun. After successful raid my squad recovered a legendary dwarf bone door (yuk!) and some other trinkets. Blinded with success, I sent them on another mission, which went badly - one of my soldiers got imprisoned. The remaining soldiers razed a nearby goblin village, ripping off many goblin heads and limbs. Didn't take long for goblins to retaliate, an attack I wasn't ready for. The citizens fought bravely and managed to drive them away, but the cost was too high - 25 dead and FPS tanked from 150 to ~100 (30 dwarves, 2 years - seriously wtf, Toady?). Still fun, though.

Also, is rescuing prisoners bugged in current version? Squads leave the map and return immediately. Maybe I should try to rescue poor guy in adventure mode?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:56:03 am by forgotten_idiot »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52042 on: April 15, 2018, 07:47:15 am »

Just messing around with raiding stuff and boy, is it fun. After successful raid my squad recovered a legendary dwarf bone door (yuk!) and some other trinkets. Blinded with success, I sent them on another mission, which went badly - one of my soldiers got imprisoned. The remaining soldiers razed a nearby goblin village, ripping off many goblin heads and limbs. Didn't take long for goblins to retaliate, an attack I wasn't ready for. The citizens fought bravely and managed to drive them away, but the cost was too high - 25 dead and FPS tanked from 150 to ~100 (30 dwarves, 2 years - seriously wtf, Toady?). Still fun, though.

Can't find any records of the raids (except the 1st successful one) in legends, though. This is sad, I really wanted to examine them in detail.

Also, is rescuing prisoners bugged in current version? Squads leave the map and return immediately. Maybe I should try to rescue poor guy in adventure mode?
Yeah. the Rescue Prisoners option seems not to work any more.
But "raid" will still rescue prisoners if you have the option to rescue prisoners checked in raid details (think it's checked automatically).

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52043 on: April 15, 2018, 01:44:44 pm »

Werezebra attack. Now, my forts have a history of dying to the first attack of any kind so I decided it was fine to savescum and find the best strategy out of this one. Locking the doors didn't work as for some reason the Pull Lever job didn't get assigned fast enough (and it wouldn't have helped anyway since weres building-destroy). In another attempt I rounded up the 10 closest dwarves and tried to buy time to build a cage trap (not realizing that weres are trapavoid too) and they got slaughtered within minutes - but then the werezebra turned back into an elf, and I realized that the full moon would end quickly.

Therefore I just used civilian alerts to herd everyone to the other side of the fort, hoping that the werezebra would de-transform before it could find them. And it worked! The werezebra turned into elf form and proceeded to hoof it off the map (at least I think it did, I can't find it on the unit list). The only casualty was a random thresher that was in the wrong place and wrong time (having his coffin made right now) and one blacksmith who got both his legs broken.

At this point I'm hoping he got werebeast'd because I have no medical infrastructure whatsoever and he's screwed otherwise.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52044 on: April 15, 2018, 03:24:40 pm »

At this point I'm hoping he got werebeast'd because I have no medical infrastructure whatsoever and he's screwed otherwise.

I recommend putting him behind walls with a roof over his head until you know what to do with him on a long term basis.  Otherwise he's going to be very fun next full moon.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52045 on: April 15, 2018, 03:42:52 pm »

I recommend putting him behind walls with a roof over his head until you know what to do with him on a long term basis.  Otherwise he's going to be very fun next full moon.

Oh yeah, I put him in a small hole, but he didn't get bitten or anything. The were actually attacked by slapping him with a book that he apparently wrote himself.

So yes, he may be screwed. What are the risks of grabbing some peasant off the street and telling him to do bone surgery?
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52046 on: April 15, 2018, 04:05:44 pm »

I think every dwarf can do doctory stuff just fine, skills just speed it up. So I'd go with random peasant setting the bones.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52047 on: April 15, 2018, 05:44:29 pm »

I think every dwarf can do doctory stuff just fine, skills just speed it up. So I'd go with random peasant setting the bones.

...after he has been in the Box for a month, just to be Suretm. Thanks!

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52048 on: April 15, 2018, 06:52:30 pm »

I embarked partially on a desert, and I've noticed that the saguaro aren't growing back. It's been almost three years.

Not that I'm really complaining. Wood is the one thing I don't mind importing.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52049 on: April 15, 2018, 08:32:43 pm »

Just finished training up 4 dwarfs to be both legendary blacksmiths and metalcrafters in my 2x2 volcano embark.
Pages: 1 ... 3468 3469 [3470] 3471 3472 ... 3836