Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3472 3473 [3474] 3475 3476 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860331 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52095 on: April 23, 2018, 08:37:33 pm »

A cascade of werelizardness messed up my fort quite badly, so I abandoned it. Not sure when I'm starting up my next one, though.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #52096 on: April 24, 2018, 05:07:42 pm »

The two years are up, and I relieved my military, for the time being. I have to say, this has been an excellent experiment, as all of my dwarves (minus the starting 7) are performing their tasks are high speed.

Definitely something I'll do in the future, with this success in mind.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #52097 on: April 24, 2018, 05:11:46 pm »

The two years are up, and I relieved my military, for the time being. I have to say, this has been an excellent experiment, as all of my dwarves (minus the starting 7) are performing their tasks are high speed.

Definitely something I'll do in the future, with this success in mind.
I'm almost done training all the dwarves of Bastiongate to be legendary warriors for exactly this purpose. Your dwarves will also produce higher quality crafts at low skills.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #52098 on: April 24, 2018, 05:23:41 pm »

Tundra embark, no weapon/armor forging challenge.

The last 3 sieges had been devastating for the outpost of Wintertomb. What was once a thriving community of proud reindeer herders has now been reduced to just a handful of battled scarred dwarves counting their last days.

Fort's population: 9 adults and 14 children.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52099 on: April 24, 2018, 11:17:44 pm »

For reasons which are to me obscure, two of the merchants from the Mountainhomes seem to be hostile to my local fortress. My dwarves attacked them (without any orders from me, of course; I would never deliberately kill a merchant, because otherwise they leave more garbage than they take), and sent the whole caravan scurrying home...and left me with a bunch of garbage to dispose of. Oddly, though, this didn't seem to trigger a loyalty cascade. The whole thing is just baffling.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52100 on: April 25, 2018, 02:14:13 am »

Loyalty cascade seems gone.

Because of a recent bug, the caravan got stuck in a ramp tunnel. I let the military kill the caravan and expected to see the fortress crumble in turmoil. Surprisingly, no loyalty cascade. They just killed the merchants and went back to training.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52101 on: April 25, 2018, 11:28:43 am »

The Fresh Meat kicks the Elf Merchant in the tongue with his right foot, bruising the left cheek's skin!

Getting flashbacks to Major Payne here, that might be this one's nickname once they are fully trained.
EDIT: And he's the squad leader! Better and better!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:31:19 am by Eldes »

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52102 on: April 25, 2018, 06:05:33 pm »

Loyalty cascade seems gone.

Because of a recent bug, the caravan got stuck in a ramp tunnel. I let the military kill the caravan and expected to see the fortress crumble in turmoil. Surprisingly, no loyalty cascade. They just killed the merchants and went back to training.

Huh, interesting, and good to know! Still baffling why my dwarves were hostile to Mountainhomes merchants, but traditional loyalty cascades are not a "feature" I'll be missing.

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52103 on: April 26, 2018, 07:07:46 am »

Developed a weird bug in my fortress again.  My dwarves seem to take any "details" for work orders except one.  They refuse to make a statue to ONE of my gods.  They did the rest of them just fine, but any time I ask for a statue specifically to this one god, they just make whatever they want.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52104 on: April 26, 2018, 08:20:13 am »

I had a squad of 4 legendary axe dwarfs, but they were still only training with wooden training axes and using basic gear instead of fully kitted with metal, I was kinda slow in getting the industry started.

A cyclops invades the cavern I had breached, and I did not have a proper set up to keep it out, send in the military!

My dwarfs expertly beat and bashed the cyclops with their wooden training axes for months to the point of being dehydrated, and still only managed to bruise most of the cyclopses body parts, it was unconcious from the beating.  I desperately had some metal axes made during this process and tried swithing their equipment up to get them to grab them to finish the job.   The cyclops woke up the second the dwarfs stopped beating it with their axes.   I think it scratched one of my military dwarfs, killed a civilian or two, and then was killed when a miner struck it in the head with a copper pickaxe. 

I found out one of my military dwarfs was injured because they were put in the hospital after the thing was over, but they had been fighting for so long my dwarf was dehydrated and I didn't have a well or water source set up yet, so I desperately breached two more cavern layers to set up a well, but not fast enough and a true legendary hero (multiple level 20+ skills) died from not having any water after being scratched by a cyclops after not being able to kill a cyclops with wooden training axes after beating it in the head for almost an entire season with three other legendary dwarfs. 

Gosh I know training axes were nerfed but this is rediculous! hehe

MrSelfDestruct

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 20 Mountain Dwarf Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52105 on: April 26, 2018, 01:19:48 pm »

I had a squad of 4 legendary axe dwarfs, but they were still only training with wooden training axes and using basic gear instead of fully kitted with metal, I was kinda slow in getting the industry started.

A cyclops invades the cavern I had breached, and I did not have a proper set up to keep it out, send in the military!

My dwarfs expertly beat and bashed the cyclops with their wooden training axes for months to the point of being dehydrated, and still only managed to bruise most of the cyclopses body parts, it was unconcious from the beating.  I desperately had some metal axes made during this process and tried swithing their equipment up to get them to grab them to finish the job.   The cyclops woke up the second the dwarfs stopped beating it with their axes.   I think it scratched one of my military dwarfs, killed a civilian or two, and then was killed when a miner struck it in the head with a copper pickaxe. 

I found out one of my military dwarfs was injured because they were put in the hospital after the thing was over, but they had been fighting for so long my dwarf was dehydrated and I didn't have a well or water source set up yet, so I desperately breached two more cavern layers to set up a well, but not fast enough and a true legendary hero (multiple level 20+ skills) died from not having any water after being scratched by a cyclops after not being able to kill a cyclops with wooden training axes after beating it in the head for almost an entire season with three other legendary dwarfs. 

Gosh I know training axes were nerfed but this is rediculous! hehe

This reminds me of my last fort (44.05, died to lag death because of bad management of lag) Lushpainted. Second year since embark, wasn't prepared for a weregila (I think it was anyway, but it definitely was venomous) to come into my fort and kill everyone except 5 dwarves. The dwarf that saved the fort was my level 16 miner part of the original 7 who struck the weregila in the heart with her copper pick. The fort eventually became rich with gold and I made a gold statue of her in the "heroes hall" of the day when she saved the fort.
Strike the Earth!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52106 on: April 26, 2018, 03:38:32 pm »

According to Legends, my latest world had a human from a goblin civ who began an apprenticeship under a dwarf and then murdered him almost immediately.

I can't help but suspect this was a calculated murder. He became the dwarf's apprentice to get close to him, then killed him in cold blood the minute they were alone.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52107 on: April 26, 2018, 04:40:05 pm »

A 'Goblin siege' of about a dozen human warriors showed up. In year six.

I have two well-trained squads of marksdwarves, endless bone bolts, and a long trap hallway on either side of my main drawbridge, which has spikes under it.

They didn't even make it to my front entrance.

Then I discovered that the squad I'd sent on a raid months ago hadn't fully left. For some reason the squad leader, my champion, would just stand in place instead of commencing the raid. I finally managed to get him to leave the map by stationing him individually right next to the map edge.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52108 on: April 27, 2018, 10:52:47 pm »

Playing for the first time in years. I settled on a serene forest with a river, deciding to play it safe since I needed to completely relearn the game. And then...absolutely nothing attacked me. Nothing at all. For 3 years I was given nothing but peace, only a couple kobold thieves early on and I have never seen them since. I managed to become the mountainholme with still nothing coming to attack me. My military was training their ass off this entire time (more on that in a bit). Then I discovered the PLUNDER option. As it turns out: absolutely noone near me was at war with anyone else. Not even the goblins or the kobolds. Was. Obviously after I started razing goblin civs this changed. But their retribution was pathetic by that point. My military was so legendary they just ripped them apart like bugs. A couple cyclopses finally showed up. They died like fodder. The hydra fared no better. I had initially sealed off the caverns because I didn't want to deal with that stuff, but the nether caps tempted me. By this point no less than 3 forgotten beasts had spawned in. Not having seen them hanging around the cavern in question, I thought it was safe. Boy was I wrong. The flying sandworm thing was hiding in the shadows and immediately jumped out to spray one of my miners with liquid nitrogen the moment i opened the wall up. This did no damage to him and he ran in the wrong direction before dying to it. My military ripped it apart. I got spooked when they started going blind, fearing the worst...but it turns out it was just a IMPAIR FUNCTION syndrome that wore off in a month.

Then this big stegosaurus FB showed up to terrorize me. The military walked up to it. One of them bit it in the chest so hard it injured its lung (I have no idea). Then one of them *punched its foot* causing it to collapse into a lump of gore. It fell over, both unable to breathe and unable to stand, and got brutally beaten to death while failing to land a single blow on any of my soldiers. Poisonous bite be damned. This was so one sided my mind evoked the image of a dwarf in full swat gear engaging in stereotypical police brutality on a big stegosaurus monster.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #52109 on: April 29, 2018, 02:11:31 am »

The neighing... the endless neighing. Why are there so many werehorses and why are they so incredibly tough? I get that they're horse people and horses are known for strength but still getting mobbed by my entire civilization doesn't even dent it. The thing just keeps biting limbs and heads off or collapsing joints at every turn while getting bruised all over its body. Eventually being hit over a dozen times in the chest with a silver ax did take it down but that was just the first one.

Three others were rampaging about as well, all human in origin, and after taking them down the resultant triage center got overrun with dwarf werehorses made up of half my remaining population. The only option was to abandon the place as things rapidly spiraled out of control leaving nothing but werehorses which was entirely too boring as they can't work half the month while they're recovering their belongings only to lose them again on transformation.

Then I start a new Fortress on the other end of the continent and two more turn up. Same thing only I throw my entire seven dwarf population at them, fully armored no less, but it just isn't enough meat for the grinder.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 02:28:21 am by xana55 »
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.
Pages: 1 ... 3472 3473 [3474] 3475 3476 ... 3836