Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3474 3475 [3476] 3477 3478 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858527 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52125 on: May 05, 2018, 11:51:29 pm »

My plan to create an unattackable fort on a volcano was off to a good start. Stage 1 involved mass-channelling the sides so there's multiple Z-Levels of sheer rock invaders have to climb, and it seemed to be going perfectly. The channelling was done, dwarves were unable to travel to the peak until I dug a brand new stairway, and Stage 2 ("Kill the aquifer with MAGMA") started. Until giraffes appeared on the peak. They have subsequently decided to come down my stairs into my fortress.

So I now have five giraffes and a Magma Crab, in cage traps in what is supposed to be my main hallway. The Giraffes will be domesticated.

Is there anything you can do with a caged Magma crab besides kill it in a needlessly elaborate arena ceremony?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52126 on: May 06, 2018, 12:52:46 am »

Unless you feel like making them tameable by adding the [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] tag, no, there's not really anything you can do with them.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52127 on: May 06, 2018, 01:37:56 am »

My plan to create an unattackable fort on a volcano was off to a good start. Stage 1 involved mass-channelling the sides so there's multiple Z-Levels of sheer rock invaders have to climb, and it seemed to be going perfectly. The channelling was done, dwarves were unable to travel to the peak until I dug a brand new stairway, and Stage 2 ("Kill the aquifer with MAGMA") started. Until giraffes appeared on the peak. They have subsequently decided to come down my stairs into my fortress.

So I now have five giraffes and a Magma Crab, in cage traps in what is supposed to be my main hallway. The Giraffes will be domesticated.

Is there anything you can do with a caged Magma crab besides kill it in a needlessly elaborate arena ceremony?

Sell them to elves. I know you can not haul hostile caged creatures to depot, but if they end up there through other means, it should be fine.
Floor above depot

Step 1

. +. . .
. +. . .
. ‼===
. .  . . .
. .  . . .

Step 2, deconstruct the floors safely, starting with the one under the cage (will not deconstruct cage in 0.44.09)

. . . . .
. . . . .
. ‼===
. . . . .
. . . . .

Step 3, deconstruct the cage without an animal stockpile.

. .  .   . .
. .  .   . .
. .‼/===
. .  .   . .
. .  .   . .

Step 4, deconstruct the bridge, the cage falls into the Depot.

. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .

Depot: O█  █ █O
           ██  █ ██
           ██O/‼██
           ██  █ ██
           O█  █ █O

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52128 on: May 06, 2018, 02:02:52 am »

Heck yeah!! Create magma crab "archer" towers near your trade depot and fort entrances.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52129 on: May 06, 2018, 04:00:37 am »

Okay, I thought three barons were bad, but this is insane:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've joked about giving nobles fine magma bedrooms many times over the years, but I've never seen it as an actual necessity before.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52130 on: May 06, 2018, 04:13:00 am »

I've joked about giving nobles fine magma bedrooms many times over the years, but I've never seen it as an actual necessity before.

Nonsense! Find your finest commoner and round these entitled ingrates up, since they refuse to lead squads themselves.

If they wish to be nobility, then they will have to earn it the way ours did - With axe, hammer, and sword!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52131 on: May 06, 2018, 09:59:54 am »

The king is a human, not even a dwarf!
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Anon_404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52132 on: May 06, 2018, 12:39:59 pm »

In the latest fort that I've been running where I'm trying to get it to grown naturally from 20 dwarves, had the most annoying forgotten beast to date: a winged toad with a poisonous bite and warty skin[or sting can't recall].

This is not that difficult of a forgotten beast and the containment measures worked (double bridges were closed so the thing was trapped). The problem is that I spent the good part of a year in-game shooting it with a combination of bone (yeah, I know) and iron bolts and it showed no signs of dying :( So I decided to get a bit more creative. A long trained giant cave spider was released into the archer gallery to spray the annoying pest with webs since the flooring was covered with cage traps; easy capture right? Except the pest was not moving and despite the prodigious webs everywhere, none of the traps were activating.

Okay, fine. I'll open the bridges and then it'll move, get stuck and promptly caught, right? No :/ The pest refused to budge until a dwarf accidentally open the door he was sitting in front of. The dwarf survived but the door was now stuck open (dropped item) and the pest was in no hurry to move. At some point another dwarf tried to get past to do god knows what, got attacked and promptly got themselves caged. Not too bad, since nobodies died yet (leads to an inevitable boatload of caged dwarves, but that's an aside). Containment fails as the pest finally decides to move around, and somehow avoids getting caged. Time for the close quarters military right?

Except this is DF remember, and getting squads to move exactly where you want them to is not easy. One of my spearmasters gets ahead of everyone of goes charging (without orders) into the bolt covered pest .... and promptly starts bashing it with his shield and kicking it. Despite being equipped with a spear and trained with it, the dwarf in question decided his best weapon was his natural weapons (he actually bit the pest o.O ) and his shield. Despite lasting much longer than I thought he would, he still ultimately took a hit to his head that crushed it despite his steel helm. In that time, the rest of the militia was busy gathering provisions and sleep for the long run down the stairs to the location.

The pest got itself cornered in a side room and hunkered down. After months of trying to gather enough of the militia in one spot for an assault, I got tired and order the two dwarves who were there to attack: one promptly walked off to gather provisions again and the other one crawled his way towards his foe. Yes, the one dwarf who decided he was ready to fight had lost the ability to stand from a previous military mishap. Said dwarf crawled his way to the beast and successfully stabbed the thing to death. He promptly named his spear. -_- When the cripple is smarter and fights better than your uninjured compartiots, you know you have a problem.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52133 on: May 06, 2018, 05:18:15 pm »

Any explanation on how this happend? was there a big off-map execution or something?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52134 on: May 06, 2018, 06:13:28 pm »

Any explanation on how this happend? was there a big off-map execution or something?

My guess would be a major battle (or over several months, multiple battles,) somewhere that claimed the lives of those nobles, who likely all took part, with a handful probably being due to old age.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52135 on: May 06, 2018, 07:04:52 pm »

My guess would be a major battle (or over several months, multiple battles,) somewhere that claimed the lives of those nobles, who likely all took part, with a handful probably being due to old age.
The ones in the screenshot all happened in the same tick. I would think it has to be my civ being destroyed en masse. I don't know how to look at it to find out.

I just got two more barons and it's really making me want to quit. I've dug out and smoothed a huge noble living complex and a huge graveyard for their tombs and I can't focus on important things, like training up my anti-zombie force or setting up traps for eventual silk farming. More than 10 percent of my population is nobles. All my production is going to coffers and cabinets and weapon racks and I'm smelting silver for statues to bring the rooms up to spec instead of making weapons.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52136 on: May 06, 2018, 07:08:12 pm »

The ones in the screenshot all happened in the same tick. I would think it has to be my civ being destroyed en masse. I don't know how to look at it to find out.

I just got two more barons and it's really making me want to quit. I've dug out and smoothed a huge noble living complex and a huge graveyard for their tombs and I can't focus on important things, like training up my anti-zombie force or setting up traps for eventual silk farming. More than 10 percent of my population is nobles. All my production is going to coffers and cabinets and weapon racks and I'm smelting silver for statues to bring the rooms up to spec instead of making weapons.

So make the nobles be the anti-zombie force. They can bitch and whine all they want when they aren't busy keeping thier own insides on the inside of thier bodies. Just need a good peasant to lead them.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52137 on: May 06, 2018, 08:30:25 pm »

I've finally managed to all but seal off the first cavern layer and begin colonization in my current fort, so I can transfer most functions besides aboveground farming/mass-lumber cutting/aboveground gathering down to the first cavern and the z-levels around it. The catch with this is that the guy who's apparently decided to take the lead on the project keeps cancelling literally everything because he's horrified over an event that took place going on 4 years ago. Since then i've noted that he has no friends, is a decent grower and cook, and is fairly young. Perfect candidate for my bunker LOCATED.

Also I watched a dwarf spend 6 months trying to pasture a cat where neither of them moved, even after i disabled all of that dwarf's labors and removed the cat from the pasture. At this point they've both died of thirst and starvation.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52138 on: May 07, 2018, 12:51:04 am »

Today I learned that, in an attempt to screw up any possible attractive and symmetrical noble quarter design, if a Baron and a Baroness of separate lands are married to each other, they will share a bedroom and a dining room but demand separate offices.

I suppose that could have happened in previous versions with different ranks of nobles, but it never happened to me.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52139 on: May 07, 2018, 01:54:33 am »

aaaand a giant bat just possibly-mortally wounded 6 people with a wooden amulet.
one giant bat just managed to do more harm than a forgotten beast that came up before i had proper cavern defenses.
with a grown wooden amulet.
5 of them are probably gonna die, and the sixth is probably gonna be a cripple with PTSD. (not another...)
EDIT: 3 dead, two in a critical condition.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 02:23:41 am by weiserthanyou »
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.
Pages: 1 ... 3474 3475 [3476] 3477 3478 ... 3836