Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3475 3476 [3477] 3478 3479 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788762 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52140 on: May 07, 2018, 05:03:37 am »

Welp. I have one fewer baroness to worry about.

I built a tower on the edge of the reanimating biome, and a walled enclosure to fill with zombies for my marksdwarves to practice on. A little bitty siege came, and I destroyed it with my hammerdwarves, and started dumping corpses into the shooting gallery.

And of course, as soon as the reanimation wave hit, suddenly there was Ilral in the pit.

I have no idea how she got there. She could have somehow phased through the fortifications or fallen in from above. Regardless, there she was, surrounded by fresh undead.

Which she punched to death.

I know, right? This is now how I expected it to go. Unfortunately, neither is what happened next.

The bottom of the pit was a retractable bridge. One level below that was an atom smasher the same size as the pit, plus an exit with cage traps, so i could either destroy or recapture inmates as desired. The only way to get Ilral out was to pull the lever and drop her down.

And, of course, a falling corpse drove her rib through her heart.

The one stroke of luck was that she still tried to get to the hospital, which meant she left the pit and made it out of the pit...which took her out of the reanimating zone. No zombie baronesses for me today, thanks.

I hope she was the one who kept wanting windows.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52141 on: May 08, 2018, 03:13:45 am »

A human poet is reciting a poem "denouncing alcoholic beverages" in my tavern "The Deadly Garlic", surrounded by drunk brawling dorfs. What a great choice of a poem, I can see this going really well.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52142 on: May 08, 2018, 01:09:53 pm »

A human poet is reciting a poem "denouncing alcoholic beverages" in my tavern "The Deadly Garlic", surrounded by drunk brawling dorfs. What a great choice of a poem, I can see this going really well.

It's like that guy from the Riften Tavern in Skyrim.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52143 on: May 08, 2018, 03:25:04 pm »

Judging from legends mode, my newest world has a pretty serious werebeast epidemic, started by a bushtit woman who pissed off the human god of death "Slek Frothcrypts". Never seen anything quite like it to be honest. Most werebeasts I've seen only bite one or two people before being slain by some NPC hero a couple years down the line, but she was going strong for nearly a century and managed to bite at least ten historical figures during that time, many of whom have nearly as many victims themselves, so on and so forth etc.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 03:39:12 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52144 on: May 08, 2018, 08:01:11 pm »

Just started a new fort in 44.10. The embark site is mostly good, part evil with a volcano. All but two of my dwarves have been killed by undead boar sows.

This is gonna be Fun.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52145 on: May 09, 2018, 10:56:21 am »

Suffered a werelizard attack, and what luck: it was shortly after I'd sent my only military squad to raid a fortress on the other side of the world. Luckily casualties were minimal, and it changed back to human form shortly after arriving.

Gotta say that I always find it amusing how even after a werebeast turns back into a naked and confused humanoid the dwarves of my fort will still see it as a monster and attempt to pummel it into oblivion. :P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:37:53 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52146 on: May 09, 2018, 11:11:52 am »

I think I killed too many goblins  :(
No attacks in ages. I miss the days when gradually more deadly sieges came.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52147 on: May 09, 2018, 03:42:57 pm »

I think I killed too many goblins  :(
No attacks in ages. I miss the days when gradually more deadly sieges came.
Time to start a war with humans and elves then.
What are the populations of the goblin sites around you?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52148 on: May 09, 2018, 04:49:27 pm »

Around 10 - 20 each. I believe they've had a run of bad luck recently - someone else must be knocking the stuffing out of them as well.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52149 on: May 09, 2018, 05:54:24 pm »

Settling an evil desert. Despite being evil, it's pretty standard. There's river otters, a gila monster, and it immediately begins raining elf blood. Kind of disappointed by how mundane it is. There are two tents made out of ibex leather and troll fur though, so I can't complain.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52150 on: May 09, 2018, 06:12:04 pm »

Just started the best embark I ever had. Volcano with plenty of hematite and flux. Also a lot of wood. The only downside is the lack of running water. The caves are 50 z level below and there is only one small lake on the surface.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52151 on: May 09, 2018, 06:27:30 pm »

Settling an evil desert. Despite being evil, it's pretty standard. There's river otters, a gila monster, and it immediately begins raining elf blood. Kind of disappointed by how mundane it is. There are two tents made out of ibex leather and troll fur though, so I can't complain.

Now see, mundane evil biomes are sometimes where the craziest chains of events can transpire.

Mashed a few mods together in a couple hours, about to begin the story of a band of human survivors of a rampaging circus. Should be a good time.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52152 on: May 09, 2018, 07:26:15 pm »

it immediately begins raining elf blood.

Sounds like a paradise for dwarves everywhere.

Cryoshakespeare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52153 on: May 10, 2018, 03:08:32 am »

After the first embark attempt on a site was interrupted and dispatched by alligators, the second attempt had slightly more success. Many in the second wave of dwarves were traumatized by the memories of having to bury all those dead bodies, but for the most part, things were under control. The dwarves were channeling down the rock layers, creating streets underground exposed to sunlight, with buildings on each floor inside the naturally carved out stone. While attempting to renovate the top level constructions, one of the dwarves foolishly knocked down a load-bearing wall, causing a collapse of the roof onto him and many of the workers. This blow led to the insanity of the manager, who had been traumatised by death long before, and with the carpenter and mechanic gone, the rest felt bleak about continuing to make a living here. The fortress was abandoned one and a half years after embark.

guydude64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52154 on: May 10, 2018, 10:27:13 am »

In my fort, shortly after gifting an artifact platinum mace to a legendary mace lord, a giant invades, perfect opportunity to test it out,  right? Wrong. A random ranger out hunting took it down with a silver bolt to the heart before my military even stopped their sparring session. Oh well, I'm right next to a necro tower, so I'll get plenty of undead sieges to send him up against, not to mention I'm at war with the elves and humans as well, and a huge goblin fortress 1000 strong is near as well!
Pages: 1 ... 3475 3476 [3477] 3478 3479 ... 3835