Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3476 3477 [3478] 3479 3480 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862576 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52155 on: May 10, 2018, 01:53:38 pm »

Does the visitor bug seem to be returning in this version for anyone else? Got like 5 human visitors to my fortress despite not yet having a tavern, library, or temple of any kind.

EDIT: Oh never mind, they're monster hunters. I forgot that all they need to show up is an open cavern in your fortress. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52156 on: May 10, 2018, 09:40:36 pm »

Okay, so. Iteration 1: Civ nearly dead, at war with dwarves, cannibals, and circus freaks. Forgot a building needed to make custom armor and weapons, and forgot to include hats as a separate item from caps.

Iteration 2: Fixed above goofs, reran worldgen with the same seeds.

Nothing is right but the landscape. History is entirely wrong. There's too many humans, there's no major wars, or near dead human civs to play as.

HATS HAVE ALTERED HISTORY IN HUMANITY'S FAVOR.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52157 on: May 11, 2018, 11:43:30 am »

Hats? Please clarify! I must know for the sake of my children.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52158 on: May 11, 2018, 04:42:05 pm »

Hats? Please clarify! I must know for the sake of my children.

Caps made of soft materials, that is, cloth and silk (I count leather as poor quality armor) tend to be worn by dwarves. When you want your soldiers to wear metal or leather ones, but don't order exact matches, they'll wear thier silk or cloth ones. So i added hats as a separate item for everyone, and made caps as an alternative to helmets, essentially. Mainly for flavor.

This one change of access to hats for all altered history in mankind's favor.

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52159 on: May 11, 2018, 10:28:10 pm »

The fortress of Ducimsukrith successfully slew its first cyclops on this day. The she-cyclops Ade Ipavema Nifi Emepe slew the gully dwarf captain of the guard Morul Larkivish and the recruit Id Zasitushat. Ultimately, Ade was done in by a lamb: in rage she attacked the poor creature, destroying its left front hood. The young sheep managed to divert the cyclops long enough for the Wheels of Sacrifice and Blazes of Theater militias to surround her and attack her with spear, pike, axe and mace. Zan Ingishilum laid down the final blow with her iron hatchet, severing the beast's head. She shall be honoured for this. Morul and Id will be laid to rest in the caverns below, as is tradition in Ducimsukrith.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52160 on: May 12, 2018, 04:51:58 am »

So my expedition embarked on a terrifying glacier to build an underground base for conducting experiments too horrible to mention here. Immediately they were attacked by undead ice wolves. My brave captain ran into battle against 6 beasts, keeping them busy just long enough for my dwarves to dig into an ice cliff and seal themselves off. The captain was killed, but he took 3 bastards with him. Unfortunately, all the supplies were left outside. Hungry and thirsty, my dwarves breached the cavern and set up a small camp near an underground lake.

For days they survived on what little fish they could catch, and some plump helmets they picked off the cavern floor. Finally their little farm plot started to yeild crops, and things started to look good. That's when my woodcutter's head was ripped off by cave crocodile. Poor bastard was reanimated immediately, hungry for flesh of his former comrades. Luckily, my miner quickly pacified him with a pick. He was dead long enough to wall him off in a little chamber, where he kept grunting and banging on walls, sending shivers down the spines of his friends.

But his restless head was left in the caves and soon enough got into a fight with a giant olm. Their fight went on for days, when my miner got fed up with it and finished the olm off with an axe. That was a mistake, for the olm's mutilated corpse got up immediately and killed the remaining 5 dwarves.

And far up on the surface, my heroic captain, now undead leader of a zombie wolf pack, kept wandering aimlessly amidst the snow storm. 

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 05:01:33 am by forgotten_idiot »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52161 on: May 13, 2018, 05:39:57 am »

I got a good chuckle in my fort today. A gremlin freed a wild Giant Bat from a cage, and the Bat proceeded to viciously tear the gremlin apart. Once it was done, it promptly bee-lined for the exact same cage trap.

I'm going to cuddle this cute bat.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52162 on: May 14, 2018, 01:29:03 am »

And it only fell one z level...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52163 on: May 14, 2018, 11:57:53 am »

I've got a second elf caravan in this fortress. After the last year, when they brought some interesting animals, and I paid them handsomely, I was expecting more. What they brought this time: a cat, a duck, and a bunch of common vermin, like snails and sparrows. I didn't even know elves can bring only mundane domestic animals. This is the worst elven caravan ever. Also: I'm SO killing the trees now...

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #52164 on: May 15, 2018, 03:11:08 am »

And it only fell one z level...

Beware of the seeds too. These things are like shrapnel when falling.

I wonder if it's possible to launch them rialiably in the direction of an enemy. Sadly, using bridges as catapuls just scatters them all over the place.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52165 on: May 15, 2018, 07:24:00 am »

A bard visited the fort, much mirth ensued, then hot on his heels a Forest Titan, a giant spider rushed into the fort, webbing and quickly dispatching the nacent military squads. Now everyone is too busy having a good time in the Tavern to build the single wall that might save everyone from the terrifying arachnid of legend currently settling down in its new lair in the trade depot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That damnable Bard is definitely a traitorous spy for the Titan, looks far too... elfy...

That'll sort him.

... and its too late, the Titan must have had a connection to the Bard, its found its way in, no one built the wall that could have kept it out, its found the kitchens, blood and webbing covers the hallways, its just a matter of time before it finds the packed tavern...

.. but wait! A recent migrant to the Fort, a Miner by the name of Tirist Zasesesh attacks in Titan and kills it.

There is much to clean up and many, many to bury, but perhaps the City of Kengtirist "Steamrims" will endure.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:43:51 am by hjd_uk »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #52166 on: May 15, 2018, 09:21:49 am »

Post on What is Going on in your fort.
I just rescued a hyena monster from a human hamlet.
It is a clown. Repeat, I just rescued a clown.
And I accepted it plea for sanctuary.
It seems perfectly friendly to my dwarves.
Note, this fort only had 7 dwarves before its arrival.
I was going to make it a soldier, but it doesn't appear to be able to be chosen as a soldier.
Quite a shame, considering it is a webber.
It is a gigantic three-eyed hyena twisted into humanoid form. It has a bloated body. Its slate gray hair is long and shaggy. (I don't have to)Beware its webs!
I wasn't sure if I was going to play this fort instead of my old one, but now I know.
Hyena monster fort!
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #52167 on: May 15, 2018, 09:41:13 am »

-snip-

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52168 on: May 15, 2018, 10:04:37 am »

-snip-

Haha! Great :)

Update: The fortress is suffering from mass PTSD. Dwarfs are going Bezerk, some are losing the will to live, some are becoming catatonic, and the Tavern windows keep getting smashed.

Update2: A log, a log! My kingdom for a log! - Amidst the unbridled horror and open fighting going on in the fort, a child is taken by a Fey Mood! However they demand metal bars... bars i do not have. I need a log, so that it can be burnt to charcoal, so that the smelter can melt existing objects back to metal for the bars. I just need Urist McStillSane to pick up a damn axe and chop a tree down.
I fear the poor child, desperate to unleash their creative urges will simply become another casualty of the madness and bloodshed.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:55:08 am by hjd_uk »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52169 on: May 15, 2018, 01:53:36 pm »

Post on What is Going on in your fort.
I just rescued a hyena monster from a human hamlet.
It is a clown. Repeat, I just rescued a clown.
And I accepted it plea for sanctuary.
It seems perfectly friendly to my dwarves.
Note, this fort only had 7 dwarves before its arrival.
I was going to make it a soldier, but it doesn't appear to be able to be chosen as a soldier.
Quite a shame, considering it is a webber.
It is a gigantic three-eyed hyena twisted into humanoid form. It has a bloated body. Its slate gray hair is long and shaggy. (I don't have to)Beware its webs!
I wasn't sure if I was going to play this fort instead of my old one, but now I know.
Hyena monster fort!
Make it a soldier, after all the violence it just escaped from? How callous! It may be humongous triple-eyed web-spinning carnivore from the nether regions of the underworld, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have feelings.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 3476 3477 [3478] 3479 3480 ... 3836