Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3480 3481 [3482] 3483 3484 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5865035 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52215 on: May 20, 2018, 05:55:35 pm »

Still, might be a good idea to notify dwarven child services.

Oh god...I just realized goblin snatchers might be the closest thing DF currently has to child service workers.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #52216 on: May 20, 2018, 07:04:22 pm »

Um, apparently one of my fortress's cats is the "pet of Somebody, ♂". How come DF doesn't know the owner's name?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52217 on: May 20, 2018, 08:27:08 pm »

Um, apparently one of my fortress's cats is the "pet of Somebody, ♂". How come DF doesn't know the owner's name?
Weird!
Possibly a bug with fake identities? (Cat is owned by a spy)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52218 on: May 20, 2018, 09:20:58 pm »

I have been making a Let's Play for YouTube.  An Island Settlement in which I can't get to the stone but I am okay with this.  I played test game and did pretty well.  Was just entering our second spring, finishing our first temple about to finish our tavern and barracks.  And a were-kangaroo showed up.  :'(

Now, I hate weres.  I was playing a story for this forum, nicknamed Toyland, and weres showed up every single year.  So I REALLY hate them.

Anyway, I already had a few people in a squad.  So I set up a barrow and sent out the squad.  Sadly, a dwarf was outside and got ripped apart.  Then the were made it all the way into the entrance tunnel of my fortress (it is a wooden fortress but I used a tunnel to enter).  The two of the recruits stopped it there - the Militia Commander was...sleeping.   >:(

I added two more members to the squad, once of which decided to show up without picking up any equipment and attack the were with his bare hands.  The smart one went to get her equipment and never took part in the fight.   ???

I feared that my first recruits, who were now a Hammerdwarf and a Sworddwarf were about to be ripped apart and the Hammerdwarf finally was so hurt she dropped her hammer.   :(

Right when I figured it was all over...the were turned back into a human and the angry mob of dwarfs released from their barrow swarmed him.  One of my lumberjacks basically cut him to pieces with an ax.   :D

So the fortress survived because two recruits were able to delay a monster for days.   I am still slightly sad about this because I don't even have a hospital yet which means everybody who was hurt by the were will end up walled up till next month to make they don't turn.  And that means even if they don't turn many may survive with massive scars and inflections and horrible memories.  If they don't starve to death during the whole process.   :(

But my settlement, and my Let's Play, will continue.  We will survive!     :)

Also I record every second of the fight which will be my next episode.  At one point one of the recruits punched the were in the mouth and the monster lost ALL ITS TEETH!!!!   :o
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52219 on: May 21, 2018, 01:20:00 am »

My Sergeant-at-Arms finally bloodied his sword on something worth killing - a weregecko. After two years with no migrants, some finally arrived only for one of them to be left chewed to bits while putting a door into the House of Troubles (a small chapel for the three horrible gods of suicide and trickery, lust and depravity, and plants.) Somewhat mercifully, Rura the potter died of her wounds, saving us some trouble.

Quite a wake-up call for us though, since we hadn't had to deal with anything worse than undead hornbills and dingoes for years.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52220 on: May 21, 2018, 11:57:59 am »

Another werebeast attacked, the only injured victim got locked away again. There was also a reptile man ambush lead by a crow woman archer. They decapitated a miner, claimed some limbs from a couple others, but otherwise did little damage and were put down quickly. Im training an archer squad now too.

Everybody is super upset about the dead bodies, so i was having the miners dig an open air pit to store the bodies in, which would at least keep them out of sight. Work has continued on that front, but theres still a long way to go.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52221 on: May 21, 2018, 04:06:13 pm »

Regarding your raid crashes, almost all have been fixed by ver 44.10. If you're playing an earlier version, you could try upgrading (or perhaps wait for 44.11 when stress will be toned down a little).
Yep, can confirm that updating fixed it, thanks for the suggestion!

I had to save scum a little while back. Not because something !!fun!! happened, but because I discovered the third cavern layer and that suddenly caused my game to go from 30-45 FPS down to single digits.

It's especially annoying because I think what's causing my current main issue, Job Cancellation Spam ("Urist McClueless cancels store item in stockpile: Item inaccessible") is a Hungry Head tooth or something that's in the third layer. It's technically accessible, but only through the long downwards shaft, and therefore in an unexplored region, so they're trying to go get an item they shouldn't know exists and I guess they're failing because they suddenly remember that they shouldn't know the item exists and ouch my head.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #52222 on: May 21, 2018, 08:31:13 pm »

A goblin siege has arrived. The first siege I've ever faced while playing DF, in fact. I don't know if I'm prepared. For one thing, my two military squads are off raiding, so I've got no military defense. Having no prior experience, I don't know what other measures I should take other than locking the doors.

Burrow for my life, I guess.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52223 on: May 21, 2018, 08:32:27 pm »

*Plays first round of fortress mode in months*

*First thing to happen is a necromancer siege is already on map on spawn and a hydra comes out of the cave we discovered after a day*

Gotta love Dwarf Fortress style greetings.  :P
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52224 on: May 21, 2018, 10:14:43 pm »

EDIT:
One of my miners has given birth. I feel absurdly proud.

And... oh. It seems the mother is only fifteen years old.

FURTHER EDIT:
I prepared myself to be further disturbed when I checked the husband's age. Fortunately, though, he is fifteen as well.
Dwarves are fully adult at 12. These two are the dwarven equivalent of 23, a perfectly reasonable age to have children.
And considering the 'medieval' type setting, 15 would be considered perfectly reasonable by humans too.
15 would have been legal in some places, not others, but not really normal.

They were farmers, there's only so much land in the village, if all of it is occupied by breeding couples then getting hitched and having kids at 15 would have been a no-no. Marriage tended to happen in 18-25 year-old range, because a) you had to wait for someone to die so one of you can inherit a strip on the communal field or you have no land to farm, and b) if the other partner is going to ditz out and flee to the bright lights of London things got very complicated legally. Obviously in bad times land opened up more quickly, so 18-year-old marriages prevailed, but in good times grandma might have the bad grace to hand around till you were both 27. Bitch.

The upper crust would have signed marriage contracts at almost any age, but legal twelve year-old sex was not happening.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52225 on: May 21, 2018, 10:31:05 pm »

EDIT:
One of my miners has given birth. I feel absurdly proud.

And... oh. It seems the mother is only fifteen years old.

FURTHER EDIT:
I prepared myself to be further disturbed when I checked the husband's age. Fortunately, though, he is fifteen as well.
Dwarves are fully adult at 12. These two are the dwarven equivalent of 23, a perfectly reasonable age to have children.
And considering the 'medieval' type setting, 15 would be considered perfectly reasonable by humans too.
15 would have been legal in some places, not others, but not really normal.

They were farmers, there's only so much land in the village, if all of it is occupied by breeding couples then getting hitched and having kids at 15 would have been a no-no. Marriage tended to happen in 18-25 year-old range, because a) you had to wait for someone to die so one of you can inherit a strip on the communal field or you have no land to farm, and b) if the other partner is going to ditz out and flee to the bright lights of London things got very complicated legally. Obviously in bad times land opened up more quickly, so 18-year-old marriages prevailed, but in good times grandma might have the bad grace to hand around till you were both 27. Bitch.

The upper crust would have signed marriage contracts at almost any age, but legal twelve year-old sex was not happening.
Are you sure about that?
13th century age of consent in Europe was generally considered to be 12 and 14 for women and men respectively (with a 1275 English law specifically making it illegal to ravage maids under 12). Was that way right through to the 19th century.

I don't disagree with your analysis of typical behavior amongst farming communities of course.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:35:02 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #52226 on: May 21, 2018, 11:38:39 pm »

That discussion was had here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151626.0 and, as it involved both NW_Kohaku and Reelya, you can safely assume that it was thorough.

tldr: backs up nickbii

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52227 on: May 22, 2018, 12:27:22 am »

The werekangaroos story reminds me of my last game which I ended when my fort hallways were smeared with blood and corpses were lying everywhere. It was my first game when i encountered werebeasts, in the past I played only like 3 games of df and I abandonned the 2 quite quickly except 1 where I got bored.

So yeah, it was quite a nice story, first time werebeasts injured a few dwarves, then they came to my hospitel, I didn't know how werebeasts work back then, when they turned like half of my ~80 dwarves population was killed. Also many visitors were infected in the tavern. After that I went on df wiki and skimmed the werebeast article but because of my carelessness the whole thing basically repeated, now there was even more corpses and blood everywhere and I was left with very few dwarves. Then I read the werebeast article more carefully. There was left only one uninfected dwarf and a few children, i tried to lock the infected ones with some success. Eventually my last uninfected dwarf got into a brawl and when going to her bedroom after being badly injured in the head she fell over unconscious. I waited for the migrants to save the day but i had to resort to checking the werebeasts turn times and giving water and feeding my unconscious dwarf with one of the 2 other werebeast dwarves. And there were ghosts flying around and visitors still cared to come to my tavern despite piles of corpses.
When the migrants came I eventually got up to like 50-60 dwarves pop and then presumably from seeing all the dead bodies around eventually all my dwarves went insane, refused to work and started fighting and killing each other. I said fuck it and gave up on the game. The greatest enemy is the enemy within xD I can tell it in more details if somebody wants. Btw yeah, these werebeasts were also werekangaroos
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:39:14 am by EoZ »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52228 on: May 22, 2018, 02:36:40 am »

Lead a successful raid against the Song of Courtesies, the elves my civ has been at war with for 800 years! First one, in fact. I expected them having numeric superiority to end in them killing everyone, but my MCom had managed to outmaneuver the defenders and the first casualty of the battle  was the enemy commander, impaled on the least skilled soldier in the squad's pike. 19 out of 20 defenders ended up dead on the field, with every man in the squad killing at least one, usually more. Hell, I have a wrestler in the squad who presumably choked the life out of two of them.

Ended up coming away with artifact papaya greaves and a shitload of books, including what I can only assume was a 107 page cookbook ("And you sang 'Garnishes!'",) a short story about a frog that explodes ("The Frog and the Cunning Ignition,") a god damn novel (Called "Everseeing Matches,") and a bunch of books on apprenticeships and performance art and what I think might have been a tourist's guidebook to the retreat they attacked.

I also had a dwarf bard show up with a necromancer's slab, sooo.... That poor dwarf ended up with his brains smeared all over the place. Probably gonna put it in the middle of my temple to Baktur, the goddess of murder.

I was also attacked by two ambusher squads of cannibals, totaling 10 attackers. one soldier killed them all, only suffering a chewed on cheek, broken elbow, and a bruised lung. Presumably by blind fucking chance. Dude ended up wining a fight with a two-hander by swinging it around with one hand, and wasn't bothered by his broken elbow at any point.

No titles yet, but I'm probably gonna have to grind up on smaller enemy sites to get my commander up to where we can strike back at the cannibals.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #52229 on: May 22, 2018, 12:35:38 pm »

The siege I mentioned earlier... I'm probably still going to lose, but my fortress's only goblin-pathable entrance is one tile wide, and the forces of evil are being temporarily stalled by an unarmed, unarmored mechanic who's crippling a goblin spearman by shaking him around by the ankle.
Pages: 1 ... 3480 3481 [3482] 3483 3484 ... 3836