Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3484 3485 [3486] 3487 3488 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5842119 times)

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52275 on: May 29, 2018, 04:04:21 pm »

You know you can just kill the diplomat, right? Or is the diplomat somehow a resident of your fortress?

I was hoping to avoid directly attacking the diplomat and her two guards because one, she has an artifact steel sword, though I guess the duchess could do the deed with Irkapena... and I thought attacking her would guarantee her civ attacking me, I'm sourcing much of my iron from the human traders. I've had diplomats die by accident without facing consequences before so I was hopping to get lucky. I thought if I locked her in my tavern with her guards then when they wanted to leave they'd eventually go insane because they couldn't, it's worked with merchants before but I guess diplomats work differently. She's just been sitting in there relaxing with her guards for two years now, the human caravan has come and gone twice no one seems to care. 

Note: I love legends viewer, if I hadn't had it I might not have noticed interesting details like the human being over 800 born in the year 232. Held the position of lawgiver since 291 and being cursed with vampirism in 298, another victim of the deity Slupi. In the winter of 313 the vampire lawgiver Kulur aroused suspicion with a murder and seems to have oppressed the population as a result. In 616 the artifact sword Egulothik Komanullung was gifted to Kulur and made a symbol of her office. After which she ruled her people with no remarkable events until three years ago in the year 1056 when she assumed a false identify in order to conduct business with my fort. Oh and she's responsible for over 3000 unsolved murders.

I'm very happy I didn't attack her I've been trying to get a vampire for ages but they never show up as visitors for me anymore and I don't have any trolls. I think it's time to see about corralling that web spewing three-eyed butterfly I have in the first cavern layer. I want to get her a nice cozy well to live in for the next thousand years.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52276 on: May 29, 2018, 10:08:17 pm »

Kruggsmash can tell you about elves and their unholy use of weretapirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bAVg6EkNFk, somewhere around 12 or 13 minutes in, i think.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52277 on: May 29, 2018, 11:02:38 pm »

Kruggsmash can tell you about elves and their unholy use of weretapirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bAVg6EkNFk, somewhere around 12 or 13 minutes in, i think.

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, it's like that. Exactly like that, right down to having baby survive the mauling death of it's mother. It just happened not that long ago, another one came, either my fourth or fifth I can't remember at this point. Eight dead, no bite victims survived. Surprisingly that's been the case of every attack so far. Baby had it's left elbow and ankle broken but won't crawl or be taken to the hospital. I'm hoping it'll show up for treatment once it grows into a child and the doctors will still be able to do something about it.

There's so many of them I'm considering putting the fort to work building everything needed for an Adventurer party to go out and hunt them, it could be quite the quest I just don't like retiring and reclaiming a fortress.

I've also learned in legends viewer that among the deity Slupi's many werecurses is a weremammoth. Slupi wins, I fear the night.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52278 on: May 29, 2018, 11:35:54 pm »

You know you can just kill the diplomat, right? Or is the diplomat somehow a resident of your fortress?

I was hoping to avoid directly attacking the diplomat and her two guards because one, she has an artifact steel sword, though I guess the duchess could do the deed with Irkapena... and I thought attacking her would guarantee her civ attacking me, I'm sourcing much of my iron from the human traders. I've had diplomats die by accident without facing consequences before so I was hopping to get lucky. I thought if I locked her in my tavern with her guards then when they wanted to leave they'd eventually go insane because they couldn't, it's worked with merchants before but I guess diplomats work differently. She's just been sitting in there relaxing with her guards for two years now, the human caravan has come and gone twice no one seems to care. 

Note: I love legends viewer, if I hadn't had it I might not have noticed interesting details like the human being over 800 born in the year 232. Held the position of lawgiver since 291 and being cursed with vampirism in 298, another victim of the deity Slupi. In the winter of 313 the vampire lawgiver Kulur aroused suspicion with a murder and seems to have oppressed the population as a result. In 616 the artifact sword Egulothik Komanullung was gifted to Kulur and made a symbol of her office. After which she ruled her people with no remarkable events until three years ago in the year 1056 when she assumed a false identify in order to conduct business with my fort. Oh and she's responsible for over 3000 unsolved murders.

I'm very happy I didn't attack her I've been trying to get a vampire for ages but they never show up as visitors for me anymore and I don't have any trolls. I think it's time to see about corralling that web spewing three-eyed butterfly I have in the first cavern layer. I want to get her a nice cozy well to live in for the next thousand years.
If you want it to look like an accident, you could undermine the tavern (or mine around it if it is underground),leaving it on a single support. Then collapse the support from afar and if the tavern had a roof everyone inside will die.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52279 on: May 30, 2018, 12:52:15 am »

If you want it to look like an accident, you could undermine the tavern (or mine around it if it is underground),leaving it on a single support. Then collapse the support from afar and if the tavern had a roof everyone inside will die.

It's an above ground roofless tavern meant to combat cave adaption. Which is becoming a problem again since the tavern has been closed for three years. I have a wep shooting three-eyed butterfly FB in the first cavern layer. I'm currently building a path to lead it to my tavern entrance where I'll make it web some cage traps. Diplomat's a vampire so I'm going to use them to create a squad of elite vampire warriors to combat the weretapir scourge.

Edit: Nevermind. An aphid made of clear glass killed my webbing butterfly, now all I have is my one-eyed fire-breathing butterfly. I was really wanting to put those two in a zoo together at some point. Does anyone know if you can web cage traps with just captured vermin cave spiders?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:58:00 am by Hiarhu »

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52280 on: May 30, 2018, 02:13:18 am »

Does anyone know if different squads ordered to train in the same barracks at the same time will actually train with each other? I've got an odd number of dwarves in my haunted woodland fortress and I'm wondering if it would be feasible to let one squad train to mastery and then let the few others learn from them or if I should just break them into two smaller squads and have them both train at the same pace

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52281 on: May 30, 2018, 02:25:44 am »

It's an above ground roofless tavern meant to combat cave adaption. Which is becoming a problem again since the tavern has been closed for three years. I have a wep shooting three-eyed butterfly FB in the first cavern layer. I'm currently building a path to lead it to my tavern entrance where I'll make it web some cage traps. Diplomat's a vampire so I'm going to use them to create a squad of elite vampire warriors to combat the weretapir scourge.

Edit: Nevermind. An aphid made of clear glass killed my webbing butterfly, now all I have is my one-eyed fire-breathing butterfly. I was really wanting to put those two in a zoo together at some point. Does anyone know if you can web cage traps with just captured vermin cave spiders?

Regular-sized spider webs aren't sticky enough. Units can walk right over them (destroying them in the process)

Also, you can roof the tavern over, so long as it's "light" when you look at it with the k button, it should be able to help fight cave adaptation.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52282 on: May 30, 2018, 02:31:19 am »

Regular-sized spider webs aren't sticky enough. Units can walk right over them (destroying them in the process)

Also, you can roof the tavern over, so long as it's "light" when you look at it with the k button, it should be able to help fight cave adaptation.

Thanks for the info, I didn't think it would work. I think they've changed the cave adaptation. I thought it worked that way too but a few versions ago I noticed my giant open dinning hall/tavern wasn't stopping cave adaption at all thanks to the floor. I built a completely open temple and after much vomiting the cave adaptation cleared up.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52283 on: May 30, 2018, 03:41:07 am »

Thanks for the info, I didn't think it would work. I think they've changed the cave adaptation. I thought it worked that way too but a few versions ago I noticed my giant open dinning hall/tavern wasn't stopping cave adaption at all thanks to the floor. I built a completely open temple and after much vomiting the cave adaptation cleared up.

Plus no roof = constant stress if you have the weather enabled (cause they'll get rained on constantly.) Only other option would be punching skylights allllllllllllll the way down into a fort to light the main always.

Plus it won't really help any if they're constantly busy and working underground (undoing whatever treatment they've received.) All it'll do is make them puke on themselves periodically.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52284 on: May 30, 2018, 05:19:36 am »

some Fun! with the pitting of captured goblin invaders, seems *someone* didn't make sure all the goblins had had their items dumped before pitting, goblins escaped and lashed one of the starting seven to death. Proper protocols on who and how live-training subjects will be thrown into the fighting pit are being drawn up and a drowning chamber is being planned.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52285 on: May 30, 2018, 06:02:22 am »

New idea. Build this (side view)

___________________X
                                I_X
                               T_X
T____________T_____<

T=wall
_=floor
X=up/down stairs
< =up stairs
I=support
Green=tavern

Then deconstruct red floor, then collapse the support from afar. The floor in the air obviously has to cover all of the tavern, but it will only require 1 stairway and 1 support.
The yellow part may or may not be needed to build the support.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 06:04:45 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52286 on: May 30, 2018, 06:29:09 am »

more Fun! with cages. For some reason - possibly overseer error, but might be a bug - Two Giants and a Cyclops that were in constructed cages got loose and have started tearing up dwarfs inside the fort. I'm sure i didnt mark them for the pasture... >_>

[Edit]: nope, not a bug entirely my fault :D ... whoops.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 06:35:46 am by hjd_uk »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52287 on: May 30, 2018, 10:02:39 am »

Does anyone know if different squads ordered to train in the same barracks at the same time will actually train with each other? I've got an odd number of dwarves in my haunted woodland fortress and I'm wondering if it would be feasible to let one squad train to mastery and then let the few others learn from them or if I should just break them into two smaller squads and have them both train at the same pace
Squads members will not train with members of other squads, even at the same barracks. If you have multiple squads, putting some experienced dwarfs in each squad may increase training rates (the dwarf with the highest skill is likely to lead a demonstration even if he is not the squad leader).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52288 on: May 30, 2018, 10:59:48 am »

Razordeeps has fallen... and all because of a stupid misunderstanding.

Rumors reached our ears of a lost artifact in the hills nearby... a pear wood earring, if the legends didn't lie.  Inud, the militia commander, wanted to retrieve it before the stinking greenskins could.  He took the Armored Nights out in search of it.  We even told him it was last seen in the lair of a dragon close by to the south.

Inud, apparently still drunk, went to a fortress of the dwarves to the north of us and ransacked the place.  He and the troops killed dozens of dwarves.  The first indication that we had that anything was wrong was a notice from the Amber Hatchets stating simply "This is war." and a very irate outpost liaison accusing me of handing this entire half of the world to the goblins while we fight each other.  I sent a message of abject apology to them.  It wasn't my intent.  And then...

... my one survivor returned.  The others were imprisoned.  IMPRISONED.  In the fortress of Portalblocks.  I sent a group to try to secretly free them but it ended... badly (Author's note: 42 dead, all theirs).  Diplomats went back and forth.  I was told by the queen that regardless of who imprisoned whom, that I needed to shut up and sit down, not necessarily in that order.  I am a passionate dwarf, but I am obedient.  Up I shut.  Down I sat.  She began outlining the war, long in planning, between the Rampart of Thrones (us) and the Patterned Evil nearby.

Following her instructions, my military was dispatched to destroy Doombugs, a dark pit of some hundred goblins nearby.  The war was finally in process.  The Brown Door, our neighbors to the northeast, would send a detachment from Mirrorsyrups to destroy Vileclapped, and the Amber Hatchets would send a legion to assault Vilecrowded itself, home of the Bull Brute who governed the Patterned Evil and had done so for time out of mind.  Regardless of our previous difficulties, we needed the support of the Amber Hatchets too much to allow internal squabbling, particularly at a time like this.  I was told my orders, and instructed to command my dwarves to stop "stirring up trouble".

As soon as my legions marched off singing, we began to hear reports of an army on the march.  No worries, we thought, the whole of the west of the world is in motion against the Patterned Evil.  We paid it no mind.

At dawn, the armies of the Amber Hatchets appeared in the north of the mire.  By sunset, Razordeeps was no more.  Our forges, our temples, our vast library... gone.  Our livestock scattered or slain.  I alone escaped.  A rumor was put about that a forgotten beast did the deed.  Betrayed by our allies, betrayed most likely by our queen, betrayed by our misunderstandings... the whole thing is too tragic to bear.  I go to see my ancestors; may they have mercy on my failures as a leader.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52289 on: May 30, 2018, 07:07:13 pm »

For the first time in my memory, my militia commander is now also my mayor.
Demands so far have been for shields and ballista parts.
So not as goofy as most mayors.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.
Pages: 1 ... 3484 3485 [3486] 3487 3488 ... 3836