Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3485 3486 [3487] 3488 3489 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789459 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52290 on: May 30, 2018, 08:12:16 pm »

For the first time in my memory, my militia commander is now also my mayor.
Demands so far have been for shields and ballista parts.
So not as goofy as most mayors.
Considering their main job, that's weirdly appropriate.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52291 on: May 30, 2018, 08:15:59 pm »

The human diplomat vampire has escaped the tavern. I don't know if she got desperate enough to scale the brick walls or if, maybe more likely, she got in a fist fight with her guards and somehow dodged through them. She didn't flee immediately, after three years of isolation she went straight for my dormitory. She promptly drained a child which clearly wasn't enough to sate her thirst so she then drained a glassmaker. To prevent her escape I briefly sealed her in with my entire fortress population. With a little digging and some doors I managed to corral and wall her into what should be an inescapable little hallway. I think I'll just blood some of the rookies on her guards now that I have her safely contained.

On a related note does anyone know the best way to actually get a vampire's blood mixed with wellwater? I've experimented in the past with mixed success. If I put her in a deep 1x1 room with maybe a poor quality spike trap, injure her until she's bleeding and then have water dumped in via pond designation would that do the job?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52292 on: May 30, 2018, 10:45:34 pm »

Overseeing a remarkably peaceful fortress right now. 135 relatively happy dorfs tottering around at a reasonable framerate. Nice rooms for all with a central area of 9 big temples for dorfs of all kinds to meet their spiritual needs (no-one seems to be a fan of the one who released the Lizard Fiend into the world back in a time before time). The tavern is expanding and full of instruments and dancing dorfs (haven't quite got the two synched yet, but everyone's favorite dance involves chanting, so it's mostly OK). There's even a library on the way.
Real dwarves also don't seem to stress as much as my Wild Dwarves who I usually play. Might be the temples (Wild Dwarves are aethists) or just the lack of Minotaur/goblin army invasions and animal-person tribe ambushes on this particular embark.

We embarked on a rare quiet spot for a change, a hollow in the mountains far from the Minotaur cities that dominate the rest of the world. It's a real paradise. Untamed Wilds so gotta watch for the giant mosquitoes. And the area to the West of our embark site seems to be an evil biome. So...it's kind of like Skull Island I guess.

We get very few visitors here, although on the other side of the mountains lies a Dark Elf empire which can apparently reach us. They've sent one small ambush so far who turned back after failing to approach the crossbow bunker by the entrance. We retaliated, killed a bunch of them and their platypus allies but somehow forgot to bring back any loot. Typical.

One failed mood child has died which seems to have made some people sad. Another is calling for thread right now which apparently we're out of. But mostly everyone, even the weregecko locked in quarantine, is pretty happy.

(Posting 'cos I know if I do all hell will break loose...)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52293 on: May 31, 2018, 01:10:59 am »

Considering their main job, that's weirdly appropriate.

I thought so. Appropriate usually is weird.
The next migrant wave also brought a dwarf skilled in surgery, suturing, and armorsmithing.
I figure the mountainhome wants to keep us alive.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52294 on: May 31, 2018, 04:02:40 am »

Success. I have acquired the vampire curse. After six years of trying I managed to lure/drop the human vampire diplomat into a well and onto an artifact iron spear. I dumped in some water and tested the result on a melancholy  dwarf that has been alive eight years after going insane thanks to having been chained in jail at the time. I could have broken the chain but honestly I liked having an insane dwarf I could keep alive. Now I don't have to feed or water him anymore.

Having a well full of blood and a replacement vampire I released the human diplomat. Nine days later they arrived following the human caravan with a new name, new clothes, and new guards. They were still haggard from stress and carrying their artifact sword (which I completely forgot about when I let her go) but her injuries were gone without a trace. She marched straight into my dormitory and drained three dwarves. That's gratitude for you. After that she met with the mayor and went right back into my tavern. They're overwhelmed by horror from their feeding frenzy but evidently my actions are not worthy of war. More success.

Also thanks to legends viewer I found out that prior to my spreading the curse this vampire was the only living vampire in the entire world. Only eight ever existed at all.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52295 on: May 31, 2018, 07:12:50 am »

Looking at the Artifacts list, I noticed that the fort is in posession of a Large Copper Helm that one of the captured and *ahem* escaped prisoner Giants owned ... it has four kills.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and a Copper Shield, wielded by one of the *definitly escaped all on their own without any overseer incompetance* prisoners, a Cyclops. i'll just leave this here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(all the nicknamed Dwarves, apart from "Scrimshaw" who was a legendary bone-carver, were military dwarves)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:18:03 am by hjd_uk »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52296 on: May 31, 2018, 08:37:20 am »

A whole squad of expert fighters and their dogs wiped out off site. Exploring an uninhabited ruin! Can't believe it. But there it is 'm' for military and the whole squad is empty.

Never one to rage quit, I quickly save, log out, make a copy of the save and prepare to check out what happened in Legends. Probably a dragon's lair or something. This should be good.

Reload, ready to hit retire, one more check of the military screen...and the squad is back. No-one's dead. Mission is ongoing.

Damn that military screen. Going to put this down to a hallucination. Time to stop playing for the night.

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52297 on: May 31, 2018, 12:27:06 pm »

It turns out that dark pits are pretty much impossible to look for people in. Especially when your character forget every tile in the maze once they've explored past the edge of the screen. 
The mystery of the unknown wife will forever remain a mystery.

As for current events in a different fort from the previous post. I had my first goblin attack in the new version. Pretty much the entire militia has PTSD from the attack. The decorated veteran of several monster attacks. Domas Basementlovely, third captain of the guard. Has gone haggard in the days since the attack. This is much worse than I expected.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52298 on: May 31, 2018, 03:13:18 pm »

This new stress and memory system has me drawn and haggard. My sworddwarf squad's all stressed to hell a few weeks after murdering a bunch of troglodytes and trolls. On another note, I just witnessed a child beat a giant cave toad to death with next to no injury.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Radray

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52299 on: May 31, 2018, 11:46:22 pm »

A dwarf arrived at my fort and promptly died of old age.

He lived until the old age of 403 years.
Just now, a merchant drowned under misterious circumstances on his way to my fortress. When I examined the corpse, he had a book on him that talked about flotation devices and buoyancy.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52300 on: June 01, 2018, 02:05:56 am »

A dwarf arrived at my fort and promptly died of old age.

He lived until the old age of 403 years.
Seems like he lost his immortality when venturing into your site. Should be dead by 170 at the latest.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52301 on: June 01, 2018, 04:11:43 am »

A whole squad of expert fighters and their dogs wiped out off site. Exploring an uninhabited ruin! Can't believe it. But there it is 'm' for military and the whole squad is empty.

Never one to rage quit, I quickly save, log out, make a copy of the save and prepare to check out what happened in Legends. Probably a dragon's lair or something. This should be good.

Reload, ready to hit retire, one more check of the military screen...and the squad is back. No-one's dead. Mission is ongoing.

Damn that military screen. Going to put this down to a hallucination. Time to stop playing for the night.
OK, so this happened again. Two full squads, off to beat up a bunch of Dark Elves, disappeared from the military screen as if they're all dead. This time saving and reloading didn't bring them home.

Retiring and checking Legends recounts how the dorfs and their dogs valiantly killed a bunch of dark elves, a whole load of snakes and the ever present platypus men. Seems like a victory. No deaths at all on our side. Something's not right.

Legends Mode shows that we lost 1 of our 14 attackers (not the leader), they lost 133, including the leader. They won.

I...what?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:17:21 am by Shonai_Dweller »

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52302 on: June 01, 2018, 04:19:34 am »

The Giant Cougars purchased from the Elves have bred and produced two cubs. 

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52303 on: June 01, 2018, 02:54:53 pm »

Retiring and checking Legends recounts how the dorfs and their dogs valiantly killed a bunch of dark elves, a whole load of snakes and the ever present platypus men. Seems like a victory. No deaths at all on our side. Something's not right.

Legends Mode shows that we lost 1 of our 14 attackers (not the leader), they lost 133, including the leader. They won.

I...what?

I've seen the same thing sending several successful raids against a kobold cave. We slaughtered many of them with no casualties, sometimes we stole loot other times they came back empty handed. The game says the kobolds won three of nine fights. I'm guessing those are the ones where they repelled the attack and we weren't able to steal loot.

I've seen the disappearing military thing too. Entire squads vanishing, individual squad members disappearing while the others are still listed, nobles disappearing and taking the noble position with them. It made me panic a couple of times but they always seem to come back unless they get dead or taken prisoner. Maybe it has something to do with the way the game is currently processing your dwarves' existence while they're offsite.

Are you sure your surviving dwarves weren't taken prisoner? You can view that in Civ screen by pressing p for people. If any of them were captured it'll list them and their last known location.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52304 on: June 01, 2018, 05:26:45 pm »

Yeah, second time dorfs were actually taken prisoner. I guess they exhausted themselves killing the civilized population of the town and surrendered to the remaining hordes of giant snakes. Who obliged by locking them up ready for rescue attempts instead of eating them. Yup, I'll go with that.
Pages: 1 ... 3485 3486 [3487] 3488 3489 ... 3835