Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3486 3487 [3488] 3489 3490 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862491 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52305 on: June 01, 2018, 05:53:17 pm »

I told my dorfs to raze a Necro Tower, they came back with a pair of zombies in tow and immediately were slaughtered by them. How the hell did they raze the tower if two zombie elves overpower them?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #52306 on: June 01, 2018, 09:29:36 pm »

Locked as many of the wereiguana as I could in the medical area. I'm fairly certain a dwarf wereiguana momma and its friends are devouring her non-wereiguana dwarf child so that's horrifying. My plan as of now is to draft everyone so they're ready to murder whatever dwarves get infected as this werebeast outbreak has officially escaped my control. That said the Fortress is doing pretty well otherwise, iron and marble make steel, steel makes trade goods and decorations, and decorations make slightly less homicidal dwarves.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52307 on: June 01, 2018, 09:42:03 pm »

A dwarf arrived at my fort and promptly died of old age.

He lived until the old age of 403 years.
Seems like he lost his immortality when venturing into your site. Should be dead by 170 at the latest.

Unless, of course, he modded them to have a longer life expectancy more within the multi-century range of Tolkienian/D&D dwarves.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52308 on: June 01, 2018, 11:40:55 pm »

So, we have What's Going on in Your Fort, Your Adventure and even Your Modding threads.
Which forum would a "What's going on in your World?" thread go for the random things you notice while browsing Legends? Or just news you discover elsewhere that doesn't quite fit Fortress or Adventurer tales. DF General Discussion?

Just noticed that a Hobbit group in my current world razed their own temple, destroying an artifact Hobbit Skull in the process. Am just trying to figure out what made them do it.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52309 on: June 02, 2018, 12:12:26 am »

The human diplomat vampire has gone insane. I guess her time with us was more difficult to overcome than I thought. This was after we let her go and she came back of her own accord. Last time I looked she was chatting up the locals at the tavern and occasionally popping off to the dorm to drink a cook. Also the vampire curse we took from her seems to actually be a curse. Dwarves apparently draw water from a well and store it in a stockpile so that even if you close the well someone might break a leg and become a vampire. My best weaponsmith (who's artifact weapon actually spilled the blood that cursed them) and a random child had to be locked away with my one sane test vampire.

Edit: The poor human is trying to drown herself in my reactor but she doesn't need to breathe. I guess it's time to end this and claim her sword for myself.

Also while these guys seems to be stronger and more agile than they started out their endurance and recuperation both dropped to nearly nothing. They get tired praying in their private temple much less training military skills. Does that mean their strength and agility bonuses are really just caps for that vampire type? If so that means I'd be significantly weakening my military by converting them.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 03:26:26 am by Hiarhu »

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52310 on: June 02, 2018, 11:46:50 am »

So, we have What's Going on in Your Fort, Your Adventure and even Your Modding threads.
Which forum would a "What's going on in your World?" thread go for the random things you notice while browsing Legends? Or just news you discover elsewhere that doesn't quite fit Fortress or Adventurer tales. DF General Discussion?

That sounds right to me.  Looking forward to your thread about nifty legends-mode stuff.

Just noticed that a Hobbit group in my current world razed their own temple, destroying an artifact Hobbit Skull in the process. Am just trying to figure out what made them do it.

Maybe the skull was sentient and found its eternal lonely existence too boring to endure so it commanded its own destruction.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52311 on: June 02, 2018, 11:58:32 am »

The road through town and across the map is finished, and most of the housing is being done soon. Our archers are being trained on giant wild boars, which, despite the real life variants being dangerous to hunt, aren't putting up much of a fight... Everyone's professional at least in bowman, and our smith it happily pumping out as many iron arrows as we'd ever need. The regular men at arms aren't doing so well in their combat drills, not really learning much. Most are only novice in the necessary skills, and competent in the weapon skills. Granite is being slowly turned to blocks for our outer wall, and construction on the tavern is going well. We've still yet to go below the first geo layer, the iron, coal, and assorted trading metals it puts out are more than enough to sustain us. Not even sure if we ever will, really. Also, we found a star sapphire while mining. This thing's definitely going on something shiny, maybe a platinum crown? Just gotta train up this gem setter first.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52312 on: June 02, 2018, 03:19:58 pm »

My dwarves are performing the Heliotrope Petal. Apparently, it's a form of music that originated in my fort. I've haven't even been here for six months and my dwarves are already making new genres. I didn't even realize that could happen!

EDIT: Turns out I'd gotten my civilization and my site government mixed up. Never mind.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 03:46:11 pm by Jazz Cat »
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Broryt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52313 on: June 02, 2018, 07:49:04 pm »

My axedwarf division captain just returned from a mission to get this amulet after being 2 seasons out and about. I was worried he got stuck in that bug where squads don't return from missions, as the rest of his squad did a few seasons back.
No, as it turns out, this nerd went full on fantasy tale mode and embarked on an epic quest after that amulet. He persistently traveled through human, elven, dwarven and goblin civilizations alike asking the locals for the whereabouts of that damned thing. After 6 months of doing this he decided to quit and come back home empty-handed.

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52314 on: June 03, 2018, 12:13:46 am »

One of my dwarves assumed the position of king. So, I set about building him his quarters, dining room, etc. At some point, he became stressed from his work-in-progress quarters, and my fortress of 7 had become heavily burdened by building it and meeting his demands for tower shields and sledgehammers. So, I decided to dispose of him. I shut him in his quarters, and forbade entrance. Further, I had two of my miner-masons build a brick wall in front of the doorway. The king himself was a miner-mason, so I assigned him his original labour, and had him dig into the water-chamber. Soon after, another assumed the position, and I resolved to end this line of monarchs in the same fashion, by flooding the fortress.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52315 on: June 03, 2018, 12:27:15 am »

Decided to send out a raiding party, twenty men at arms from the worker class instead of the well trained soldier class. The raid was a success, and we gained actually quite a few chicken and cows out of it, two animals I was asking the traders for. About a year later, though, a Draconian siege has arrived... We shut the gates, positioned the archers in two separate towers facing the enemy, and have assembled every soldier near the sally port, which is an artifact door. We plan to open the gate to attract the siege, then shut it as they get close and attack from there. This may end poorly, as Draconians are stronger than humans, and have access to steel and burning steel... We may lose horribly, but in such a case, we can outlast the siege.

We beat the siege, with the greatest of ease. They actually never came close, just accepted death by archer. Sure, it took nearly three hundred arrows but we did it. Now I'm melting down everything they have, as my workers can definitely produce better quality gear than some Draconian drone. Steel weapons for everyone!/Maybe four of you! The commander shall get a burning steel sword and maybe some armor.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 09:50:47 pm by StagnantSoul »

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52316 on: June 04, 2018, 12:41:05 pm »

This fortress' first run-in with a giant cave spider.
Knocked a full melee and crossbow squad down to 5 and 4, idiot crossbowdwarfs.
The master hammerdwarf in iron armor, artifact mail, and with a steel hammer couldn't kill it, but the weaver that first went down to collect its webs panicked and punched it in the headparts.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52317 on: June 04, 2018, 03:01:09 pm »

Closing the door on the weretortoise that showed up last month has turned out to be a poor strategy, in the long run: He showed up again the next full moon unexpectedly and we didn't have time to lock him out. We lost a fair amount of dwarves, but fortunately most of them died; we only got one that was bitten and survived.

But hey, that gives me a great chance to test my new Dwarven Quarantine Chamber! And by "quarantine" I mean "magma." It works like a charm:

• Build a chain in the little 1x1 room you've dug out using your best magma-irrigation techniques
  • chain Urist McWerevictim in the room--I use a DFHack script for that
  • Pull the lever! and open your magma floodgate/door/bridge to give Urist McNot-Magma-Safe a nice, toasty bath
  • Close the door again and have some dwarves dump water into the 1x1 room so you can mine out the obsidian
  • Rinse and repeat as needed.

Ta-da! I even streamlined my magma irrigation system. At the moment I'm still waiting on finding some iron or nickel ore to make a magma-safe chain, so if I have to do this to too many more werevictims I'm gonna start going through pig-tail ropes pretty quickly.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52318 on: June 04, 2018, 08:02:10 pm »

But hey, that gives me a great chance to test my new Dwarven Quarantine Chamber! And by "quarantine" I mean "magma." It works like a charm:

I made one in my current fort before any werecreatures show up. I lose more forts to them than anything else.
Made mine next to the edge. Then conscript bitten dwarves to a squad with no uniform.
Place floodgates next to magma and next to map edge. Tap magma and carve fortifications at the map edge for drainage. Build fortifications in front of floodgates and drawbridge at the door to protect from destruction. Station doomedspecial squad in room. Close drawbridge/door, open magma floodgate, !!bathtime!!, close magma floodgate, open drain floodgate.
No obsidian production, but quick and makes it easy to collect anything magma-safe left.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52319 on: June 04, 2018, 08:29:59 pm »

I'm mostly using obsidian casting because I didn't want to dig a channel all the way to the edge of the map and carve a drain. I think you can still get magma-safe stuff back from the block of obsidian, too, although I haven't tried it.

Protip if you don't want to set up your infected dwarves in a squad and struggle with getting them to station on the right squares: Designate some minecart tracks to be carved in your bathhouse and assign your victims to stone detailing.

On an unrelated note, the elves brought me an ocelot! Fingers crossed that they bring me a lady ocelot next year so I can start breeding ocelittles for war training.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Pages: 1 ... 3486 3487 [3488] 3489 3490 ... 3836