Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3491 3492 [3493] 3494 3495 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787050 times)

Buckley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52380 on: June 20, 2018, 08:03:07 pm »

Jumped back in after a bit of a break.  I'd lost track of releases and bugginess and what not so I started on a favorite 4x4 embark from v43.05.  (Glad to see 44.11 is coming soon.)

Anywho... yea, the Fortress of Thestaradil, "Crimsonwalled."  Outpost of The Scalded Siege-Work of Stilling.  Year 225.  Plan is to use the ample bauxite deposits to build crimson outer walls of a surface helm's deep like keep with a decent size tower overlooking the northern bridge and main gate/ tunnel that leads to the central staircase.  Will be a classic 3x3 central stair design with the middle column left for engraving.  (I cheat and use DFHack "reveal all" to place the tower so that it can go un-interrupted from the lowest depths to the surface.)  Hence, "Crimsonwalled."  I'll be looking to deck out my various military squads in various crimson colored apparel, accessories if I can find them.

It's situated in a temperate forest biome with a 7-8 z-level gentle rise in the south east corner that sort of forms a natural spot to poke a tower up and out from.  A small river flows through the northern 3rd of the map and then loops due south on the east edge.  The place where the hill in the Southwest juts out into a sort of natural place for a 12x12 tower is situated nicely to overlook a bridge across the river where I've built my initial 3 wide tunnel to a central stair design.

Dolomite, Marble, and a moderate amount of Lignite and Magnetite means steel.  Lots of Bauxite, lots of silver ores.  I'm envisioning Silver Floors and roads... think it will go nicely with the crimson walls.  Nicely formed caverns.  If it had a magma pipe it would be perfect - but I'll just either build a pump stack to a massive lava cistern(s) or build a minecart network.  Eventually I'll move the main features of the fort - grand dining hall with a operable water fall in the middle, hospital, rooms, etc. etc. deeper into the marble layers just above the caverns.

Funny thing I just noticed, the expedition leader, Tosid 'Healerhandles' Ikalerush, has this personality trait - "Is deliberately cruel to those unfortunate enough to be subject to their sadism."

I freaking love this game.  :D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:08:21 pm by Buckley »

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52381 on: June 21, 2018, 12:05:10 am »

Well, I just destroyed my fortress...

Since this seems to be the PTSD version of DF, my fortress has been devolving into a tantrum spiral for the past several years. However, the final nail in the coffin was when one of my dwarves went berserk and like an idiot I ordered my military to put them down. Now the loyalty cascade has begun.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52382 on: June 21, 2018, 12:11:38 am »

Since this seems to be the PTSD version of DF, my fortress has been devolving into a tantrum spiral for the past several years. However, the final nail in the coffin was when one of my dwarves went berserk and like an idiot I ordered my military to put them down. Now the loyalty cascade has begun.

Actual berserk or did they just go starting fights? Cause an actual homicidal rage shouldn't cause that.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52383 on: June 21, 2018, 02:37:51 am »

One of my dwarves was found mangled and dead on the floor of the mine, but there were no cave-ins, no enemies, and no combat report? Alright then... So long broker, may we fumble through trading without you...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52384 on: June 21, 2018, 08:17:26 am »

One of my dwarves was found mangled and dead on the floor of the mine, but there were no cave-ins, no enemies, and no combat report? Alright then... So long broker, may we fumble through trading without you...

Vertical shaft above? Could they have fallen down, whether by suicide or otherwise?

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52385 on: June 21, 2018, 01:38:18 pm »

Actual berserk or did they just go starting fights? Cause an actual homicidal rage shouldn't cause that.

Actual berserk. They died quickly, but then the fortress's hunters started shooting at the military dwarves.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52386 on: June 21, 2018, 02:28:50 pm »

What would happen If I tried to melt a tin corpse of a forgotten beast using lava? Could I be able to somehow get tin bars with this method? xD

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52387 on: June 21, 2018, 02:30:45 pm »

What would happen If I tried to melt a tin corpse of a forgotten beast using lava? Could I be able to somehow get tin bars with this method? xD

It could possibly melt into a solid lump of tin, which you could then melt in a smelter. Happens sometimes with bars of any metal once they cool if memory serves.

Dunno if you'd get much from it though.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52388 on: June 21, 2018, 03:01:44 pm »

The tin corpse of the forgotten beast is huge. It weights 72000 units.

Also, I may have spotted a bug. Captain of the guard gets unhappy thoughts about scarcity of cages or chains even if I have quite a few chains and cages with justice enabled left.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52389 on: June 21, 2018, 03:55:21 pm »

The tin corpse of the forgotten beast is huge. It weights 72000 units.

Also, I may have spotted a bug. Captain of the guard gets unhappy thoughts about scarcity of cages or chains even if I have quite a few chains and cages with justice enabled left.
Do you have enough? The requirement increases over time (population?). Check how many you need on the justice screen.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52390 on: June 21, 2018, 03:57:45 pm »

Oh I see now

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52391 on: June 21, 2018, 09:49:01 pm »

Vertical shaft above? Could they have fallen down, whether by suicide or otherwise?

It looks like he may have fallen down the stairs actually, he's pretty close to them.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52392 on: June 21, 2018, 10:00:54 pm »

It looks like he may have fallen down the stairs actually, he's pretty close to them.

Hell, and idiot deciding to climb on something can end in an accidental suicide. Dwarves have become prone to climbing to reach enemies or avoid sharing a tile with someone. Maybe he tried to climb up a pillar to avoid traffic and fell down?

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52393 on: June 22, 2018, 08:22:24 pm »

Forced dwarven natural selection:

- Some of my dwarves are throwing tantrums because of a rise in their stress levels caused by seeing a few dead dwarves and goblins a year ago.
- I order the dwarves to be punished while they are throwing tantrums.
- Since they are throwing a tantrum they will fight back when confronted leading to them getting beaten down badly by my squad, often with a fatal effect.
- Other dwarves will see their corpses, the ones who survive the ordeal will gain discipline and if it rises high enough they will stop being bothered by death, forming a peaceful and successful society. The rest are the ones with too low stress resistance, it will just speed up their descend into madness.
- Also my squad gains experience and improves discipline even further. Profit.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:26:14 pm by EoZ »

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52394 on: June 22, 2018, 10:03:40 pm »

Bug?

Pages: 1 ... 3491 3492 [3493] 3494 3495 ... 3835