Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3493 3494 [3495] 3496 3497 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789010 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52410 on: June 25, 2018, 05:24:12 am »

Running my old 44.10 fort in 44.11, not much happening, more were-tortoise experiments have set me against doing anything with them other than swift executions, they keep biting people in the lower body because they are very short, which they then shake into a broken spine. The people who get bit in the arms keep turning, with the now-crawling people do not. I'm done with 'em.

A few quick reviews on "and mulling over the recurring memory changed", the worst memories stop being remembered and are replaced with a tendency to more easy get new bad ones for smaller problems in future, angering quickly or being very prone to stress or similar traits. The less bad ones are replaced with, well, not caring about that problem any more for the most part. Avoid really bad thoughts as it's all a bit PTSD, but don't sweat the small stuff because they mostly adapt to it. Willpower rules, trained military have way less problems.

Still gotta treat them pretty well, and care for (or kick out) the ones that are freaking out. Sadly, my most angry dorfs are all married to multiply legend skilled dorfs, so they will stay and suffer like good little spouses. Must turn off hauling trade goods for upset dorfs though, starting a fistfight at the trade depot is bad for trade.

Dead body -induced personality changes are not always bad though - I have some dwarves that received positive personality changes like "Handles stress well (after seeing Urist Dinklebones die in 229)". But of course the bad ones like "Is in a constant state of internal rage (after seeing Metmut Barrelstone die in 220)" are also around.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52411 on: June 25, 2018, 03:01:42 pm »

Nothing much. Just generated this. https://imgur.com/aueMYtq

My first large, long worldgen in 3 or 4 years. Used to play medium worlds around 300 years because worldgen just wouldn't work for larger and/or longer.
Really excited to dive into this one, seeing as it's still Age of Myth full of beasts and titans and dragons and whatnot waiting for me to slay them in some devious way.
44000 people alive, really? Jeez!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52412 on: June 25, 2018, 03:52:03 pm »

Had a citizen with a name ive never seen before: Ubbul. Rest of the name is recognizably dwarvish, obviously a member of our civ because technically its an ant woman i bought as a pet. So thats neat.
Fortress is doing well enough so far. A cave nearby has "looked to your theiving economy for their future prosperity," cant even find it on the map or anything so meh.

Nobody has invaded, nobody's died, but this stupid good biome is yet another resurrecting one so the horses i butchered came back to life and are hanging out in the farming workshops. Could have the militia kill them but then theyd resurrect and die over and over again indefinitely and generally be a massive pain in the ass to get them under an atom smasher or something.

Im holding off on breeding too much livestock because obviously i cant have millions of forever-resurrecting turkeys or some shit. I need to do something about that interaction...

Can never have enough war polar bears, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #52413 on: June 25, 2018, 04:05:46 pm »

Had a citizen with a name ive never seen before: Ubbul. Rest of the name is recognizably dwarvish, obviously a member of our civ because technically its an ant woman i bought as a pet. So thats neat.
Fortress is doing well enough so far. A cave nearby has "looked to your theiving economy for their future prosperity," cant even find it on the map or anything so meh.

Nobody has invaded, nobody's died, but this stupid good biome is yet another resurrecting one so the horses i butchered came back to life and are hanging out in the farming workshops. Could have the militia kill them but then theyd resurrect and die over and over again indefinitely and generally be a massive pain in the ass to get them under an atom smasher or something.

Im holding off on breeding too much livestock because obviously i cant have millions of forever-resurrecting turkeys or some shit. I need to do something about that interaction...

Which mod it is?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52414 on: June 26, 2018, 12:59:13 am »

If you mean the resurrection thing, its the regional interactions i cooked up: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13714

Fair warning, that resurrection issue extends to shorn wool from animals and stuff, too, so butchering or shearing sheep in a resurrecting biome could result in infinite sheep popping up. Animals like horses also drop a hair item when butchered, which also gets resurrected. Enemies and wild animals will also respawn with the same hatred for you as beforehand (potentially more?) but domestic animals that resurrect are listed as friendly, but not tame, and can be targeted by the militia but not caught in cages or otherwise captured/pastured. Gods, ive got to fix that stupid thing, it was honestly just a side project at first to see what else could be done with regional interactions, and its horribly broken now.

The war polar bears, iirc theyre war trainable by default? But i changed my dwarf entity to let me have lots of weird animals. Requires adding creature classes to all the creatures you want to be eligible and then allowing the entity to tame anything of that class if available in their environment.

But you cant just use the general_poison creature class, or youll be able to embark not only with people but megabeasts and some nightcreatures, which will still be hostile to everyone. All it takes is a migrant wave to show up with a "pet" dragon.

I played on that save for a while but then the game crashed. In that time i had a nosferatu outbreak due to opening the caverns. Anything killed would resurrect, and since nosferatuism is a form of contagious, berserk-causing transformative vampirism that meant never ending vampire zombie apocalypse, which is probably why the game crashed... Thats another thing ive got to work on. Spellcrafts mod for the nosferatu thing btw...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:05:23 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52415 on: June 26, 2018, 02:12:42 am »

A werepanda attacked, it killed a miner and a stole his shoe then it went after my militia commander. It beat him down to the ground knocking him unconscious and and hammering on his head over and over with the leather shoe but each time being deflected by the commander's sheep wool hood. At least a hundred times. The moon waned and the beast reverted to dwarven form and fled. The commander was rescued, given lifesaving care and walled away. He did not turn on the next full moon. He may never walk again but he's alive and not cursed. Shortly after opening up the wall and moving him to the hospital proper to recover I got the message that he'd become attached to his sheep wool hood. I don't blame him at all, if it was me I'd never take that hood off again.

Edit: Commander succumbed to infection, he will be entombed with his hood. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:31:14 am by Hiarhu »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #52416 on: June 26, 2018, 02:45:22 am »

So, one of my war dogs restrained at the entrance of my fort sort of decided to spontaneously explode in a cloud of gore for no apparent reason. Now every creature within 5-6 tiles are covered in spatterings of mountain goat and/or troglodyte blood.  Um, okay. :o

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52417 on: June 26, 2018, 08:32:16 am »

I've started a new fort for 44.11. It's called Libashsedil, Axeangel. We've settled a narrow isthmus between two sections of elven civilization (I don't know if both sections are the same civ, but probably) and am almost done building a small surface fort for protection. We've had the usual smattering of kobolds and snatchers, but nothing major until a weremoose attacked! I just dealt with it. No militia and no way to quickly close off the fort. The weremoose attacked the builders who were traipsing through the ditch to collect wood, and five more builders managed to seal us off with a chert wall across the entrance. One mason perished in the fight, but the weremoose proceeded to take the mason's mitten and use it Jackie Chan style, thus limiting the bite wounds down to one wood crafter. The game claims her child is not in the fort, and thus she can't be expelled. So now I'm contemplating using the drawbridge we're about to hook up as an execution machine to fix this problem.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #52418 on: June 26, 2018, 12:27:11 pm »

So, in this version, can you pillage people until they don't fight back, then send a random hauler to conquer them?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52419 on: June 26, 2018, 12:58:56 pm »

Lazy Mac Pack--it's taken me four worldgens and about 7 embarks to find the perfect spot for Dwarven Venice. It looks really good and the above ground fortifications are coming along nicely. The Island Apartments are all dug out (45 of em in dug into an island as I did not want to construct above ground apartments) and are just being furnished. Just starting to plan out the Palace/Fortress and consider expansion islands.

The only problem? The canals do freeze over briefly in winter. So, I've had to plan an exterior wall that is defensible.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52420 on: June 26, 2018, 10:02:39 pm »

So, in this version, can you pillage people until they don't fight back, then send a random hauler to conquer them?
So long as you put the random hauler in a military squad, yes. Not a random hauler at that point, but still...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52421 on: June 26, 2018, 10:14:23 pm »

Is it possible to found my own hillocks, or do I need to conquer/have the civ settle near by in order to do it?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #52422 on: June 27, 2018, 09:05:49 am »

So, now my legendary cook decided to a bit overdo a lavish meal and made a yak's milk roast worth 2198393 dwarf bucks.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52423 on: June 27, 2018, 10:16:40 am »

Accidentally trapped three magma crabs when I tapped the volcano for the furnaces. Meant to capture them in cages but things kept coming up. Five years later there were seventy nine magma crabs in my channel. I skimmed off a dozen or so for turrets and controlled breeding, emphasis on controlled and opened the volcano back up for the rest. In a scene I found strikingly reminiscent of watching a nest of sea turtles hatch dozens of magma crabs born in my fort poured into the volcano. Slowly spreading out like falling leaves descending the volcano's shaft all the way down to the great magma sea where they belong.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52424 on: June 27, 2018, 12:13:03 pm »

Which mod it is?

From the vanilla raws:

[T_WORD:VAULT PLACE:ubbul]
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 3493 3494 [3495] 3496 3497 ... 3835