Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3494 3495 [3496] 3497 3498 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5844027 times)

Tarqeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52425 on: June 27, 2018, 03:47:17 pm »

Dwarven Venice sounds cool :-)

After many months I tried my luck with DF, again. I chose a dead civilisation and reclaimed a dead fort, all dwarves got some military skills for start as to fend off the forgotten beast that lurked in the fort according to the legend.

Upon embark, one of the dwarves became the new queen. Everyone took up a weapons. Three bards arrived to the courtyard so that they could write down the story of the rebirth of the Oily Roof.

It wasn't a forgotten beast my founding seven found in the depths that day. Dwarves of the Oily roof dug too deep. There was no tale, no poem, only the charred bodies of bards bore witness to the events of that day.

On a side note - I didn't think it was possible in a fort fresh out of worldgen.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52426 on: June 27, 2018, 04:06:50 pm »

Dwarven Venice sounds cool :-)

After many months I tried my luck with DF, again. I chose a dead civilisation and reclaimed a dead fort, all dwarves got some military skills for start as to fend off the forgotten beast that lurked in the fort according to the legend.

Upon embark, one of the dwarves became the new queen. Everyone took up a weapons. Three bards arrived to the courtyard so that they could write down the story of the rebirth of the Oily Roof.

It wasn't a forgotten beast my founding seven found in the depths that day. Dwarves of the Oily roof dug too deep. There was no tale, no poem, only the charred bodies of bards bore witness to the events of that day.

On a side note - I didn't think it was possible in a fort fresh out of worldgen.
Digging too deep? That's possible anywhere.
Easier in a reclaim as there's usually a path all the way down to the bottom dug out for you.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52427 on: June 27, 2018, 10:10:36 pm »

An elf ambush and a goblin siege just happened at exactly the same time.
They seem to be attacking each other. 
I think i'll just turtle and grab whatever passes for popcorn in this game.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52428 on: June 28, 2018, 05:10:59 am »

Finally got my first 44.11 battle with the gobs.

They took 5 years to finally come (my fortress had reached the 80 pop since a couple of years) after me sending enough raze mission to destroy even the elven retreat they had conquered a few years ago from the elves.

The gobs sure took their time to retaliate and it was a bad idea for them to wait for so long because in letting my dwarves 5 years of training they had then to face a full legendary swordmasters squad and a squad made from peasant trained into competent+ marksdwarves (but still as suicidal as marksdwarves are).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Poor gobs army, they really stood no chance.

At least now after the gob annihilation i'll see in the coming months if stress/memory is fixed since the depressing suicide party that 44.10 was for the dwarves.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:15:20 am by Robsoie »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #52429 on: June 28, 2018, 05:08:47 pm »

I conquered a different dwarf fortress, and my war dogs helped my dwarves execute the enemy dwarves.
Apparently, you can train dogs to execute people.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52430 on: June 28, 2018, 07:10:24 pm »

Human siege arrived, roughly a hundred strong with a few goblins mixed in. Thirty magma crabs defending the entrance opened fire simultaneously. Possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in Dwarf Fortress. It's like a firehose of molten rock. Only a tenth or so of the attackers had the dodging/block skills needed to endure, most were hit with so much magma it actually melted some of their bronze and copper weapons and armor. I didn't even know that was possible with magma crabs. I'd never actually used magma crabs in my defenses before this but capturing them will be a priority every chance I get going forward.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52431 on: June 28, 2018, 07:45:25 pm »

Followup: So. Much Blood. 
My military is pretty much gone. 
There are hundreds of corpses lying around. 
Might just retire.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52432 on: June 28, 2018, 08:35:15 pm »

Doing fine building a neat little fort now. Only wildlife seem to be porcupines, red pandas, and the occasional keas. Got a militia training up. Nobody's died yet.

Got a crafting building set up, as well as a farming center, trade plaza and recreational square with gold statues, and im working on a woodworking building with an open all-soil roof to grow trees for lumber. The temporary hospital has an underground well fed by the brook, which is important because it all freezes in the winter (this was supposed to be a warm subtropical climate...)

Now, my only real concern is working up a big enough population and militia to conquer nearby sites. And the anxiety of a possible werebeast attack, thank god we havent seen any, yet. Im hoping to get a few hillocks tied to my site, see how much they can provide for my military needs to conquer the world.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52433 on: June 29, 2018, 02:00:41 am »

Any way to rid my glacier biome of the sea of vomit I covered it in?

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52434 on: June 29, 2018, 02:05:50 am »

Btw yeah I didn't know miner was modable, fair enough, though its a bit weird.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52435 on: June 29, 2018, 10:08:41 pm »

Oh shit dragons can melt ice walls and floors.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52436 on: June 29, 2018, 11:04:12 pm »

So despite the fact that the king was living in my fortress for a few years now (only just became mountain home, yaaay inheritance...) I apperently forgot to actually set up his room stuff, I set most of it up (Didn't finish the throne room) but just forgot to assign it to him I guess... I have looked at his noble page multiple times and I guess just never noticed... also, I've decided to upgrade the dwarfs from 1x2 rooms with a bed to 3x3 rooms with a bed and probably some other stuff as well... also individual temples for each god

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52437 on: June 29, 2018, 11:42:17 pm »

Any way to rid my glacier biome of the sea of vomit I covered it in?
An indirect method is to create a roof over the area, which will change the vomit tiles to "inside", which will allow dwarfs to occasionally clean the area. I've seen dwarfs wander into the forest to clean up blood that was below thick tree branches, which makes those tiles "inside".

A more direct method is to build floors or paved roads and then remove them, but without rain, the surface may look unpleasant in a new way.

Washing it in water, then mining the resulting ice might work.

More in the wiki.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52438 on: June 30, 2018, 02:09:30 am »

I just sent 80 unarmed dwarves at 10 goblin invaders. I don't know if you can call it a win or a loss, but they are technically retreating and I don't have to abandon the fort so... great success, yes? I guess I need to start investing in a military. Only children are left. :C
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52439 on: June 30, 2018, 02:17:13 am »

I just sent 80 unarmed dwarves at 10 goblin invaders. I don't know if you can call it a win or a loss, but they are technically retreating and I don't have to abandon the fort so... great success, yes? I guess I need to start investing in a military. Only children are left. :C
But you are now below the 80 pop trigger and have just given potential migrants a reason to reconsider...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 ... 3494 3495 [3496] 3497 3498 ... 3836