Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3500 3501 [3502] 3503 3504 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858823 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52515 on: July 06, 2018, 11:58:12 am »

Sent a squad out to raid another, smaller forest retreat. They got caught immediately, and one was killed on the spot. Then the elves tried to corner my war giant honey badgers that went with them. It didnt end well for them. Overall between the badgers and the squad being trained and armored they killed seven or so elves. I made Nil, who killed a couple elves and six of their pets, captain of another new squad and filled both with new recruits. Sent them and my command melee and ranger squads out to raze the site and they succeeded in driving away the elves. A new government immediately formed there but hey, we stole their donkeys...

Forts getting lots of monster slayers with the caverns opened up. Several have been killed by the wildlife which again includes nosferatu, but luckily the both of them ran after being spotted.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #52516 on: July 06, 2018, 03:14:44 pm »

What thoughts do they have?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52517 on: July 06, 2018, 03:18:56 pm »

"Dwarves that should have been buried were being put in the trash pile"; This is probably a bug that has been around some time. After a dwarf body/part reanimates and is killed again, it will not be put into the coffin; the haulers will haul those items to the coffin, drop them on top of the coffin, then haul them back to the refuse pile, then repeat this cycle forever. If your fort is in a reanimating biome, you should consider slabbing every dwarf instead of using coffins, and do something destructive with the bodies (magma, atom-smasher, or a many-z pit with no way out). With reanimating, I have tried mixing coffins and slabbing before, but months later would find some dwarf was still hauling a "once reanimated" arm in the endless cycle. Slabbing everyone avoids this.

Once most of your dwarfs were involved in the endless cycle of hauling between the coffins and refuse piles, the "random troll parts were paraded through the halls, way off the routes to get to the garbage dump" problem might have been caused by traffic problems (30 dwarfs using a 3-wide corridor can clog it so badly that other dwarfs will seek another path to the refuse pile, like through your dining room).

Ah, wasn't aware of that bug, that's probably it!  Thanks!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52518 on: July 06, 2018, 03:56:13 pm »

My clothier is now "utterly harrowed by the nightmare that is their tragic life."

They've been perpetually losing their shit and I have no idea why. I mean, sure, they're in prison right now, but that's because they threw a tantrum and paralyzed someone's pet. I can't figure out what made them so damn upset; everyone else is fine!

With a harrowed dwarf you're going to want to pull out all the stops or send them away because the next step is going irreversibly insane. Check to see if any of their personality changes resulted in them losing their ability to handle stress, becoming a nervous wreck or being in a constant state of internal rage, things like that.

I've had some success using extremely nice prison cells to rehabilitate troublesome dwarves. Treat your most stressed criminals like nobles. A sizable cell, larger than the 3x3 they can use when chained, engraved by your best, filled with nice decorations and high quality furniture, artifacts if you've got them. Make sure your inmate has a bed, throne and table within the 3x3 area and assigned to them. Give them a booze stockpile, a mug stockpile and a food stockpile within reach as well. Use their favorites if you're lucky enough to have them. Throw in a temple zone for their religious needs. If you can arrange visits with friends and family do so.

I also recommend mist generators. Just a gut feeling but they seem more effective and valuable now than ever before. One well placed mist generator in the main hallway with a temple zone saved my fort in 44.10.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52519 on: July 06, 2018, 04:48:34 pm »

I also include traction bench and make it double as hospital :v (Could also do well and hospital coffer for quick treatment.)

Hm, though that dwarf has martial and abstract needs. I wonder if you could include a barracks and 1 bookcase with a book as well.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #52520 on: July 06, 2018, 04:55:04 pm »

fisherdwarf was scarred for life by fishing a lamprey   ???

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:18:32 am by LoSboccacc »

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52521 on: July 06, 2018, 05:02:10 pm »

That would fit right into the last section of the wiki article for Sea Lamprey.

shikushiku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52522 on: July 06, 2018, 05:04:41 pm »

Hmmm...

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52523 on: July 06, 2018, 06:03:20 pm »

Facing my fort's first siege, which is both the first one I'm facing head-on and the first necromancer siege. There are over 70 undead ex-military of various races, we shall see how this goes. Crossing my fingers that my weapon traps don't clog.
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52524 on: July 06, 2018, 09:17:37 pm »

Well, well. Today's discovery is that dwarves can ride horses. Can't recall facing many actual working mounted sieges in the past, mostly it's some soldiers, plus some horses/beakdogs/whatever with not much cohesion between the two.

But here we are, 59 dwarves mounted on 59 horses charging my gates in beautiful formation.

Like last year, they've timed this so that I've just sent my military out conquering. Gonna have to shut the door and let the bad weather send them all insane again. This year we have a  bronze colossus stationed outside in a lever primed cage though. That might be fun.

Might need to venture into the third cavern layer in search of wood soon (or work out how to do magma forges). Not sure we can last another year-long siege.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52525 on: July 07, 2018, 12:04:33 am »

I actually have a dwarf that goes into shock every time he drinks a beer, because somehow hes bothered by the fact that hes paralyzed from the waist down, only when hes drunk.
His personality says only that he has a calm demeanor after being caught in the rain, the fricken rain, 2 years ago. Youd figure that after "suffering a major injury" like 40 times hed develop some resistance to it or something, but no. He just spills his mug all over the ground for someone else to clean up while he freaks out. The thoughts page lists it as a new thought every time, so hes not remembering the original trauma, hes like deciding that hes injured again all of a sudden. I figure it has something to do with contracting the alcohol syndrome causing him to reevaluate his wounds and suddenly deciding the broken spine happened just now.

A couple others are getting moderately stressed for various reasons, chief among them not getting enough time to socialize whether with friends or family, having no library, not having their own beds, seeing a human corpse in the water at the outdoor statue gardens, i think he was standing on the ice when it thawed or something... Which is all true, ive been working them like slaves, we dont even have a tavern or library despite looting some books from the elves, and i have to wait for winter again to attempt to get that corpse out of the pond.

Im gonna have to cut back on the number of nest boxes available to the animals just because there are so many eggs and plants and body parts from stolen elven pets to haul that its not getting done. Ive been trying to build a tavern, above ground, but that work is interfering with basic hauling tasks.

I had to close off the caverns due to another nosferatu attack, this time claiming not only two more monster slayers but resulting in two of my own dwarves being bitten, and potentially turning. Ive had them walled away, their wounds arent even life threatening so long as they dont get infected, but if one of them turns in public, it would be a bloodbath. The human caravan also got driven away this year because a wild boar harassed the yaks pulling a wagon, scuttling it and causing the rest of the merchants to turn around and leave. I got some free useless junk, though. We struck adamantine, mined a few bits and started refining it. Magma forges are being dug out and built, slowly.

The war with the elves has gone largely in our favor. Ive razed two forest retreats, killing a few dozen elves and looting their animals and goodies. Only one of the prisoners taken from my first squad, my old expedition leader, was recovered. Strangely, the retreat was populated by humans at this point, as almost all of the historical figures my army fought with were human, even though most of the unimportant casualties were elves. After the raid, the retreat was listed as belonging to a human civilization and group that i dont see having any other sites, anywhere. Maybe they were a near-dead civ that occupied the site because it was conveniently vacant? That civ is listed as "no contact" so i at least didnt start another war, i guess. One war at a time here...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #52526 on: July 07, 2018, 07:18:38 am »

the situation is worsening, or getting better, depending on your point of view.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52527 on: July 07, 2018, 12:20:23 pm »

Any mention of a fish standing up is enough to give me cold sweats :(  On a lighter note, my brand new Jungle Fortress is humming along.  You would expect a Jungle to have many exotic types of fruits & vegetables for brewing.  No, I have landed in the tropical equivalent of Kansas.  Behold, my 5 different types of beer;

As soon as the Cave Wheat is in season, I'll have 6.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52528 on: July 07, 2018, 01:22:02 pm »

No fruit trees whatsoever? Most non-desert environments i find are so inundated with fruiting edible plants and trees that you can feed your fortress purely off of gathered fruits, theres practically nothing else!

So last night i got a moody weaponsmith to make an artifact adamantine short sword. I gave it to one of my soldiers in the commanders squad.
I make Spellcrafts!

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52529 on: July 07, 2018, 08:14:16 pm »

Curious thing- my dwarves still feed and give her water, despite her current state of mind (and hostility to the civilization). So, I will indefinitely have a crazy person in jail.

I like that, actually.

Yes. There seems to be a bug when a dwarf goes insane while in prison the job to release them never happens. As long as they're given food and water they'll remain alive but if she's berserk sooner or later someone will try and kill her even though she's chained. I had this happen with a melancholy dwarf and I manged to keep them alive with food and water for eight years before turning them into a vampire but someone beat the berserk dwarf to death within two months.
Pages: 1 ... 3500 3501 [3502] 3503 3504 ... 3836